Opening Day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas open Saturday morning, I'm psyched,, got a new bow rigged out ,got four lock-on stands in different places different winds all set up and ready to go, at 60 years of age this is probably the last bow and the last lock on stands for me, I'm getting too old to climb up 20 ft in the tree and and set in a lock on,, and yes I guess I will wear my harness this year,, Tree climbing monkey that I am I need a little security behind me Hope everyone has a great one!!!

Opening day of archery here in VT too, my daughter and I went out this morning. We were in stands about a 1/4 mile apart. I didn’t see anything except a small flock of turkeys. Sarah saw a couple deer but didn’t have a shot. She made a new friend while she was out though. I’m back out solo for the evening.
34599D90-5012-4260-BD79-DD32FCC377F6.jpeg

VA. bow season opens this Saturday. I went squirrel hunting, saw two does an killed my limit of squirrels (6).
I killed 3 does with a kill permit over the summer. Gave one to my sister an one to my son an butchered one for myself when the temps were in the 30's couple weekends ago an had our first frost (Sept. 20). So I have fresh venison in the new freezer, just waiting on ML season to open Oct. 31st.

It’s fun to hear how y’all are doing with your hunting seasons. The muzzy season for me doesn’t start until November so, until then, hearing about yours is like being able to hunt vicariously.

Bow season in Georgia for another week and finally ML! Amazing nice weather here for a change, high 40's in the morning.
Passed a couple of spikes with longbow but have seen a few nice bucks on trail cam.

Our archery and ML seasons are both over for deer and archery is over for elk. ML elk starts the last of Oct and goes a touch over a week. You better be close to the truck on the archery hunt. Everywhere on our unit is over 80 deg. At sun-up you might see temps in the high 50’s but it climbs pretty rapidly.
if you get one, you better get him out right away and into a cooler or he’ll be ruined.

Our archery and ML seasons are both over for deer and archery is over for elk. ML elk starts the last of Oct and goes a touch over a week. You better be close to the truck on the archery hunt. Everywhere on our unit is over 80 deg. At sun-up you might see temps in the high 50’s but it climbs pretty rapidly.
if you get one, you better get him out right away and into a cooler or he’ll be ruined.

Same here (Weather in Archery) I love to Hunt Elk with my Bow, But the weather in September can be WAY to Hot, Depending on the Year of Course. This year is a Good Example, We stil haven’t had our 1st Frost here in Town, and we are stil hitting 80s in the Day, This is ODD for here. If a Guy killed an Elk Here in the Day right now, you had better be in a MAD DASH to get the Hide off, and get the Meat in a Cooler. Anyone that knows Elk, Knows that you don’t just Drag them to your Rig :) We Quarter them and Pack Board the Meat out, Old School Military, Plywood Pack boards, Because it’s Tradition :lewis:

Went out Sat.afternoon and saw nothing till about 8 minutes before shooting light was over.@ doe came in about 28 yds and gave me a perfect broad side shot.Let the arrow fly from my carbon express x force blade and she took off like a jet.Heard her run like a bull in a china shop then all of a sudden all got guite.My brother came over and we went looking for her because it started to rain.We had a great blood trail and with in 10 minutes we found her.Perfect shot and she field dressed at 98 lbs.Now I can wait for the ''big'' boy to make the same mistake.Hopefully.

I hunted in 2 different stands this weekend with my bow I sat on trails that were in a pinch point area food and bedding I sat between the two,I had so many deer below my stand I couldn't even move my arm to pick my bow up off the hook, there was always a head up looking around,, I tried as much as possible just to sit back and relax, none of the deer winded me and in both circumstances I was able to watch deer for around 45 minutes to an hour just eat and interact and relax,, I considered it a very successful bow hunt though I never drew my bow back,, as a matter of fact it was so successful I'm not going to hunt that spot and set up until the rut,,I guess it's crazy when you have some stands that you treat that way but it's got such potential for the rut I don't want to mess it up and get the doe used to me being up in the tree above them,, wish I was in the tree now!!!

Five more days until ga muzzy season, and then two weeks until my NM mule deer muzzleloader hunt. Needless to say, I'M READY TO BE DONE PICKING PEANUTS

Latest posts

Back