Optima Pistol + 80gr BH209 + 200gr Shockwave = Very Dead 8pt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
WARNING: Some pics are graphic. I left out the extremely graphic ones.

Some tried to tell me that the 200gr Shockwave would not expand with 80gr of Blackhorn 209, especially out of 12" of working bore, minus the height of the powder column. Basically 9-3/4" from the tip of the bullet to the end of the rifled portion of the barrel. The bullets shot so well, and I was certain that even at only 1510 FPS (@ 12ft) they would perform just like they always have. I have killed somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 deer with Shockwaves and SST's in every weight 200/250/300, and never once lost a deer, or had one travel more than 60 yards. I have also killed 5 with the 20ga 250 gr SST shotgun slug, with equally devastating results.

Now with that said, the 200gr Shockwave put this 2-1/2 year old Michigan whitetail down and out before I finished the 10 count. The distance of the shot was 60 yards, he traveled 25 yards after the shot, and was expired when he hit the ground.

I was hunting a stand on the morning of Nov 15th, that I have named the "HOT SPOT". Once the rut kicks in, it is busier than GCS. It was extremely foggy at daybreak, and I could see no further than 50 yards for the first hour of the day. I could hear deer traveling past me in the woods at an estimated 50-100 yards, but for the life of me, I couldn't see them. Once the Sun broke the horizon, it started to slowly burn off the extra moisture in the air. And not until it cleared the tree line did it lift to where I could see past the effective range of my muzzleloaders.

I was hunting today with two muuzzleloaders, even though it was the opener of our General Firearms Season. I have never shot a deer, elk, or any game animal with a center fire rifle. As a matter of fact I only own one, and it is a .223 Ultra Varmint, for 'yotes and other vermin. These two muzzleloaders were both on their maiden voyages (so to speak), and I was excited to get them in the woods. As some of you know, I just purchased a new Optima .50 cal muzzleloading pistol last Friday. I installed a scope Friday evening, and sighted it in on Saturday. I was completely ecstatic over the groups I was getting with the 200gr Shockwaves over 80gr BH209. I had two, three shot, one hole groups at 50 yards. I'm afraid that is accuracy some of my rifles would be hard pressed to duplicate. My other pistol cases just were not long enough to enclose this hand cannon, so I used a rifle case for this hunt.

100_0355.jpg

100_0319.jpg

My other muzzleloader on this hunt is my Custom .45 caliber Huntsman that I put together with a .45-70 barrel. This barrel conversion was done by a gentleman from Virgina. It now has a Savage breech plug for shooting Blackhorn 209 powder and works wonderfully. I also supplied my forend, Knight ramrod thimble, and a Universal Power Rod to complete my conversion.

100_0316.jpg

I had seen several does and young bucks all morning go through GCS, moving to and fro. Not much shooting at all, due to extreme reduced visibility. I had let several 1-1/2 year old bucks live to see another day (or at least another hunter), six in all. I had watched as the young bucks were rousting the does, grunting, and fruitlessly chasing them around the woods. I took pictures of some of these bucks, and around 11am these two ended up dejected and together, after I had watched them both try to win the hearts of several does, to no avail.

100_0320.jpg

100_0325.jpg

They became very focused for a moment on something down through the woods off to my left that got their attention. Then all of a sudden they shot out of there like a couple rockets, never looking back.

100_0328.jpg

I figured I had better start paying attention to this area as well, when all of a sudden I seen "Scrapper" coming down through the woods on a path that would lead him behind my position in the tree. Now I know why they tore out of there like their hind ends were on fire, Scrapper had obviously had encounters with them before, and probably had kicked their butts. I had seen Scrapper on a few occasions earlier, during our bow season, and passed him up, in hopes he would live another year. Scrapper and I had went back at least one year when he was a small 8 point last year, probably two years when he was a button buck for that matter. Scrapper was not the biggest buck in the woods, just a two and a half year old with an attitude. His neck is all scarred up from fighting I presume, and the hair is missing from a couple spots right down to the hide. Scrapper had broken off the tip of his right main beam, just past the G3, and also his left brow tine is merely a stump of what it once was. Today was different, Scrapper had a very distinctive limp as he approached, and where someone had obviously ran a slug through his back leg, breaking the bone. It was disappointing to see him with such an affliction, we were almost Buddies, except he did not know me like I did him, or at least that is how I tried to keep it. Even with his injury, Scrapper still held his head high, and was as proud of who he was, as always. My heart felt heavy knowing that I was going to have to finish what someone else had started, but it was surely for the best. I decided that I would use the new pistol to accomplish this mission, because if I didn't do it, the coyotes surely would have.

As he approached, passing 60 yards to the rear of my stand, I could now see that this deed had to be done. I let out a soft mouth grunt, which brought him to a halt. I placed the crosshairs of the scope right tight to the rear of the left front shoulder and slowly squeezed the trigger. At the shot, there was the small puff of white smoke, and as it started to dissipate, I could see Scrapper was still on his feet. I quickly slid the pistol around to my side and grabbed my rifle, just in case this would take another shot. I could immediately see in the scope that another shot would not be required. He only traveled 25 yards, flipped over backwards, and never twitched. I sure hated to see him go before his time, but it was surely better than the alternative. I could have given Scrapper another pass, but it still would have probably been the last time I seen him. I watched on as he lay motionless on the forest floor. I must be getting soft in my old age, because for some reason my eyes were wet, as they are now.

100_0333.jpg

What a great story, Busta. Thanks for sharing & nice job with the Optima pistol - very motivating!

First of congratulations on the buck and most of all for being a true sportsman and doing herd management that needed to be done. I once did the same thing bow season, shooting a small doe with a broken back leg instead of a different deer. Only because I was not going to feed the coyotes.

That pistol sure did a good job. And 60 yards with a scoped pistol is no easy task. I've shot a lot of handguns in my life. Excellent marksmanship there. And it looks almost perfect in shot placement.

Due you feel that all the powder was burned, in that short barrel? I would have wondered if that was just an over kill on the powder charge. But it worked. And that is all that is important.

Last, I never take pleasure in taking the life of an animal. While I might be grateful for the opportunity and the meat to the house, I took always seem to feel remorse for killing anything. Maybe its just old age. When I was young it never bothered me. But I have gotten to a point that if I do not get a deer, that is alright with me too.

Again, nice shooting, and congratulations. He's a fine buck.

Awesome story! That's great that you could take the buck and spare him some suffering. That was a great shot with your pistol too- congrats! And for the record, I didn't say the 200 Shockwaves wouldn't expand, I said the 200 XTP would expand better at those velocities :D . But it looked like they worked out just fine for you. I like the 200 Shockwave/SST a lot, and use them quite a bit...

santoslhalper said:
Awesome story! That's great that you could take the buck and spare him some suffering. That was a great shot with your pistol too- congrats! And for the record, I didn't say the 200 Shockwaves wouldn't expand, I said the 200 XTP would expand better at those velocities :D . But it looked like they worked out just fine for you. I like the 200 Shockwave/SST a lot, and use them quite a bit...

Thanks guys for the kind words, it sure isn't the story I wanted to be telling. But sometimes "life is like a box of chocolates.........."

santoslhalper,

For the record, it wasn't you I was talking about. And I agree with you on the XTP's. Another Forum altogether. By my estimation and tape measure it opened up to at least .80 caliber exiting the hide on the off side. I have pics, but they may be a little graphic. The bullet performed just like it always has for me.

Good job on the buck, I can't imagine many have ever been taken in the modern period with a bp pistol. Ya did the right thing, out of curiosity, do you have another tag?

Busta said:
santoslhalper said:

Thanks guys for the kind words, it sure isn't the story I wanted to be telling. But sometimes "life is like a box of chocolates.........."

santoslhalper,

For the record, it wasn't you I was talking about. And I agree with you on the XTP's. Another Forum altogether. By my estimation and tape measure it opened up to at least .80 caliber exiting the hide on the off side. I have pics, but they may be a little graphic. The bullet performed just like it always has for me.

No problemo. I just wanted to clarify what I had said. And I do believe the 200 Shockwaves open up at fairly low velocities. They have always performed well for me. I hit a deer last year who was quartering towards me - bullet hit a bit far back (it was trotting about 90 yards away and I couldn't get it to stop) in the liver, the bullet angled back thru the body, broke the rear hip joint and exited. I had to finish it off with a neck shot, but the 200 Shockwaves penetrate really, really well at moderate velocities (impact velocity was probably around 1,600 fps). Expansion at these velocities is acceptable to me, but in my experience the 200 XTP really shines in this velocity range. If you want a pass-thru every time though, go with the Shockwaves.... Congrats again, and I love that pistol!

Busta, GREAT story and a fine buck. One thing about being a hunter, if you weren't a good story teller when you started, you soon will be! I KNOW how you felt dropping the hammer on him. I love hunting ( and venison) and these critters we chase are magnificent creations and a joy to see, however they too must " go the way of all flesh" and hunting is as natural a way as it gets. I give thanks to the LORD for every good shot ( and every clean miss...), but as I kneel next to a critter and run my hands over it I give alittle sad sign and can't escape the feeling I just smashed something priceless.

Confederate rifleman said:
..................................as I kneel next to a critter and run my hands over it I give alittle sad sign and can't escape the feeling I just smashed something priceless.
The same feeling happens to me; yet i do it again; wonder why?

Perhaps its because it must happen. Its a useful end. Not like getting hit by a car or being run down by feral dogs. Its also less suffering than slowly dying from old age and worn teeth or a festering wound from 1 too many rut fights. While the arguement can be made that we've "upset the balance of nature" an equally strong arguement is that we are part of said balance. I used to be an anti-hunter, when I was an ignorant kid. After moving to the Catskills and getting an education on hunting and its purpose and the rich heritage and traditions that make it what it is, I enlisted in the Pumpkin Infantry at the tender age of 14. Deer are a prey species and we are apex predators. Other predators give no thought or praise for the animal . I think ( hope) for most of us, its hard to take a critter and not be grateful and perhaps that is the most profound difference between us and the other animals.

awesome story. Sorry you had to finish off what someone else could not get done correctly. To bad the deer never had a chance to show you his full potential. your story is really heart touching. it really pisses me off when hunters get labeled as nothing but blood thirsty gun toting killers. Cause a true sportman never enjoys the kill or taking of life. He appreiciates the pure protein placed before him at the dinner table and gives thanks to the animal who gave the ulitmate sacrific to do so.

that was a good read,eventually after a few kills with my inline rifle i would love to purchase a pistol and share in the same results.good job

This pic of a painting by an artist named Bucky says a lot to me and I'm sure it does to many of you. The weapon doesn't make much difference at that point.

49BowKill.jpg

Latest posts

Back