Optima pistol/carbine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot the little carbine this morning with good results.
I tried some Hornady XTP bullets, 240 grains powered by 75 grains of 2f Triple 7.
Even with the musket caps, I still got a crud ring.
View attachment 14743
If you can scare up some OE/Goex 2/3 F, I favor OE 3F you could have a great load and not so much work . I do a simple swap with a damp patch and keep on/Ed

I have plenty of black powder. Old Ensyford 3f, Swiss 3f and Goex 2f. Just curious about T7, never used before.
I too have a Lb of T7/2F given to me by a neighbor ,I think it will outlive me on my shelf rather than his! Try the black ,you know it works and easy to clean (with water) and best of all you have it! If you were closer you could have my neighbors gift too/Ed

I too have a Lb of T7/2F given to me by a neighbor ,I think it will outlive me on my shelf rather than his! Try the black ,you know it works and easy to clean (with water) and best of all you have it! If you were closer you could have my neighbors gift too/Ed
Thanks for the offer. Like I said, just wanted to try something new.
I think the Swiss 3f is best for the pistol.

Has anyone gotten any sense of how many of the Optima V2 pistols muzzle-loaders.com is receiving from CVA in each shipment?

Do you think that the count is as low as 50?

Or, higher like 200-250 per shipment, perhaps?

If my count is correct, then the next shipment would make the 4th since CVA resumed limited production, with muzzle-loaders.com as the exclusive agent for their sales?

After shooting my little .45 Cal TC Patriot pistol, i have looked at these CVA Optima Pistols, i might end up getting one
I wanted a 45 Patriot or Scout pistol. The Scout felt too heavy to me and i havent been able to put hands on a Patriot yet. I did pickup a pristine CVA Prospector .44 that i havent shot yet. Tingle knockoff i believe.

I had a first year production Thompson/Center Scout pistol in .54 caliber that I purchased in conjunction with those kinda funky, 1", 1-pc., Q-D, Thompson/Center scope rings & base.

Remember those? The one-piece ring base with horizontally split tops fit into a one-piece base that was spring-loaded on one end (?). You stuck the tab on one end of the scope base into that spring-loaded socket on one end of the base screwed to the top of the pistol, and the opposite end of the scope ring base snapped down into another spring-loaded socket-like arrangement on the scope base.

It worked, but like I said, it was FUNKY LOOKING. And heavier than it needed to be.

I purchased a Leupold 2x pistol scope, some tools, a spare breech plug, and a plastic hard case, all at the same time. Along with a good selection of the factory Thompson/Center .54 caliber Maxi-Ball & Maxi-Hunter lead conicals. If I remember right, I had 6-7 boxes of each projectile.

Some guy at the first range session, before I ever got a chance to shoot it, offered me WAY more money than the entire package was worth. So, like the enterprising American I am, I sold it to him on the spot.

I retrospect, I think I parted with it because I hated the inelegance/funkiness of the scope rings & the base.

I didn't own an accurate scale in those days, but the scoped pistol with that heavy, funky rings and base arrangement made for a front heavy pistol

I just added a 1"recoil pad to my carbine. Not pretty but the extra inch feels a lot better. I had a mossberg 500 pad from a restock that i just drilled and screwed to the adjustable butt. Makes the LOP now...
View attachment 16214
View attachment 16213
I have a Scout 357 Max pistol. I got a Burris 3-12 on it. One of these on it might be interesting. I assuming you can make the LOP any length you want?

I actually had a V1. I found it in a pawn shop. I traded a few fishing reels for it. I never shot it. I brought it home. I cleaned it good. The bore was in excellent shape. I sold it to a buddy who wanted it. He had shoulder surgery and couldn't shoot a rifle.

Back