Optima pistol stocks on CVA Scout?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering if the stocks on these CVA pistols are interchangeable or identical?

They look the same but I have neither pistol. At least until my backordered Optima arrives.

Ok, good question. I guess it raises a whole new set of interchangeability questions. Or is this a centerfire only question? I dont see any muzzleloading scout barrels.

Last edited:
The after market grip was made for the centerfire CVA Scout. I’d like to use it on a CVA Optima V2 muzzleloader. ,
My state doesn’t allow handgun hunting for deer. Adding a buttstock makes it legal for deer. Thread a AR15 buffer tube into the grip and select from any number of AR15 stock options. It was originally designed for adding an AR15 style pistol brace to the Scout.

I called CVA, the rep said he believed the grips were the same on the two pistols but stopped short of actually confirming that. I also emailed the grip maker with the same question but have yet to receive a reply.

Scout V2, Hunter and Optima V2 rifles all use the same buttstock BUT the pistol versions bolt is at a different angle than the rifles.

So if the aftermarket AR type grip is for a Scout rifle it will fit a Optima v2 rifle. If its for a pistol it should fit a Optima v2 pistol also but that one i cant confirm.

It would be interesting to see some of these four frames photographed side by side with grips and butt stocks removed. I spent a lot of time with google searches. There are many examples of the entire CVA rifles (all models) stripped down to the every nut & pin. There are no images for stripped pistols. Images could be rotated and resized for comparison from various sources. No way.

Its obvious if you see the bare frames with the grip/buttstock bolts screwed in. The pistol grip bolt is closer to a 90 degree than the rifles buttstock bolt.

Im only assuming since the Optima/Scout/Hunter rifles all use the same buttstock that the Scout/Optima pistols also use the same grip. Additional tooling setup would be needed is they were not.

I think your pistol to pistol assumption is good, certainly logical.

I was wandering a bit off topic. That was thinking it might be possible to drill and tap another hole to convert rifles to pistol. Back and forth. We are free to do that in the muzzle loader world. I am now thinking as I type, the lack of interchangablility (including the barrel attach) may be due to both legal and design reasons for the centerfire Scouts.

Last edited:
I think it would be more cost effective to simply buy an Optima on sale and clip the barrel down to carbine length following legal requirements and have it crowned.

I believe that factories in Spain have reopened so that should help.

That is great. Rather than order ahead, I am on three diferent notify lists.

After I ordered my Optima pistol I was dismayed to discover that handguns were not allowed for deer hunting in my state, Massachusetts. And I resigned myself to that fact and decided it would be a fun range toy anyway. Later when browsing the forums at handgunhunt.com I came across this picture of an Encore muzzleloading pistol used by a Massachusetts hunter to kill a coyote while deer hunting. That started me searching for a way to add a stock to my Optima pistol. When I came across the adapter above I was thrilled. Here is the photo.
B4B22AB4-4F0E-4867-9AA3-6A00C1C5E125.jpeg

Plain. I have small hands and the are grooves never in the right place.
I did order a grip sleeve from Amazon to increase the tackiness.
Let me the first to say the aesthetics of the adapter leave a lot to be desired but...
with stock and scope the pistol/carbine should be about 5 pounds.

And with a variable pistol scope installed in just the right spot it might be possible to shoot it on low power as a pistol and on high power as a rifle since eye relief decreases as the magnification increases.
I bought a Burris 2-7x32 handgun scope for the Optima before I went off on this tangent. Max lower power eye relief is 21” and minimum high power eye relief is 10”. Other scopes have even less eye relief on high power.

Looks like I’ll be ordering an EGW picatinny rail! Anyway a very interesting possibility.

I would probably go for the finger groove as I have big hands/long arms. I need a 14" LOP too, not sure how this would work for me. Anyway you look at it will be a short range gun with the 14" barrel, but easier to control with the rail, than just the gun by itself without a rest.

Back