Optima pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
K3rTO8C.jpg

I love mine. Its actually the second one I've owned. The gun shown gets fed 63 weighed grains of BH209 powder to push a green crush rib with a .44 XTP 240 grain or a .44 225 grain XPB Barnes bullet. The Barnes is my hunting bullet but the XTPs are just as accurate and is a know deer killer. I've harvested several does and one nice 9 point buck while carrying this in the field. Absolutely love this gun. The scope is a 2X7 power Leapers and is incredibly clear and accurate.

I have a pair of the Traditions Vortec pistols stashed away but those max at 70 grains and are fussy with the 209 powder. I have buyer lined up for those. I tried granular Pyro and T7 and just could never get either to come anywhere near close in accuracy as the Optimas deliver. I'm not sure where I heard it but I think CVA is maybe going to produce limited numbers of another run of the Optima pistols.

I sure do like those, always wanted one, but over here in Canada, I would only be allowed to take it to and from the range, a range thats government approved, as is the case with all handguns and restricted rifles, cant even go plinking on your own rural property no matter how much acreage you have

I sure do like those, always wanted one, but over here in Canada, I would only be allowed to take it to and from the range, a range thats government approved, as is the case with all handguns and restricted rifles, cant even go plinking on your own rural property no matter how much acreage you have
Really? That's a bummer. How long has that been the case? Is that the whole country?

It must have been some time ago as I hunted in New Lisker for a number of years Bear and Moose and all we had to do was declare before entering Canada and better have the same when leaving I guess they are stricter more so now It's getting to be a beoch here in Delaware they want to do here like Virginia is doing If the democrats get in 2020 it going to really get bad They have said as much because we voted Trump in

Really? That's a bummer. How long has that been the case? Is that the whole country?
Yep, the whole country, every handgun is either restricted or prohibited, and we have numerous rifles that are restricted, only to be used at government approved ranges

Yep, the whole country, every handgun is either restricted or prohibited, and we have numerous rifles that are restricted, only to be used at government approved ranges
Those restrictions are coming to the USA unless we convince those not voting to get off of it an vote them out!
I have voted every year since I was 21. (Laws changed to 18 now) It will take all of us like minded to stop the dimocrats.
They only want to take gun's away from honest lawful folks, but no way to stop criminals or mentally ill from having them.

i hope so. i see they have them in CF.
Are you referring to the CVA Scout CF pistols? The Optima V2 is muzzleloader only. The Scout is a fun CF pistol to shoot. I used mine for the regular firearms deer season.

K3rTO8C.jpg

I love mine. Its actually the second one I've owned. The gun shown gets fed 63 weighed grains of BH209 powder to push a green crush rib with a .44 XTP 240 grain or a .44 225 grain XPB Barnes bullet. The Barnes is my hunting bullet but the XTPs are just as accurate and is a know deer killer. I've harvested several does and one nice 9 point buck while carrying this in the field. Absolutely love this gun. The scope is a 2X7 power Leapers and is incredibly clear and accurate.

I have a pair of the Traditions Vortec pistols stashed away but those max at 70 grains and are fussy with the 209 powder. I have buyer lined up for those. I tried granular Pyro and T7 and just could never get either to come anywhere near close in accuracy as the Optimas deliver. I'm not sure where I heard it but I think CVA is maybe going to produce limited numbers of another run of the Optima pistols.
What is it with Traditions? I very rarely hear about them, pistols or long guns, and more often than not its seems to be negative. Yet they are still in business and doing ok. I've never owned or handled one so I can't say anything about about them. They do seem to always be available in fast twists and .45cal.

The Traditions breaks are 50 cal, 70 grain max. They are dirty to shoot and o-rings are of little help. They are not as accurate as the Optima pistol but I think that's due to the 70 max charge capability. My Optima delivers the best accuracy with 300 grain XTPs, 250 grain XTPs, 240 grain XTPs, 300 grain Deep Curls and A-Frames, 240 grain Deep curls and A-Frames and 225 grain XPB Barnes bullets in .44 cal, all at 90 grains by weight or 63 by volume....doesn't matter how the powder is measured between the two. The Vortex pistols have slightly shorter barrels. Both of my Vortex pistols are scoped with fixed power weaver long eye relief scopes and just can't really get dialed in for some reason. I've tried T7 granular and Pyrodex in RS and in P. No help there. I'm waiting on a check right now and they'll be down the road.

Thanks Tom

Last edited:
Right. Thanks Hershel. 90 by volume, 63 by weight.

Really like mine as well. The scope is a Nikon Force XR with 2X magnification. We shoot similar loads Mr Tom.....90 gr by volume of bh209 with a 225 gr Barnes XPB paired with a Harvester crush rib sabot. It zips them along pretty quick with very manageable recoil. Love it

Attachments

• 20180908_130033.jpg
    20180908_130033.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 17
I've shot several deer Chris using my old load. Same powder charge and sabot but at 240 grain .44 XTP. A year ago I really started to pursue the all copper bullets and the XPB 225 jumped out at me so I ordered them. The difference in recoil is significant....and welcomed while shooting the Barnes. The deer I shot using the XTPs went nowhere. Dropped on the spot, all of them. Hopefully I'll get to do a study on a deer next fall that has fallen to the XPB. Until then I'll be ordering a couple more boxes so I can continue to shoot thru the summer some. I'll shot the XTP's on paper too but won't play with the poi, just shoot for form. I love that Leapers scope. While it does have the battery to offer red and/or green crosshairs, I don't even have the battery in place when I shoot and prefer the black hairs. I find colored hairs distracting for some reason. When I was scope shopping a couple years back I actually looked at the exact scope you shoot but stayed with the Leapers.

My first muzzleloader pistol, purchased last summer. CVA Accura V2. Older model Tasco 2.5 power scope. 70 grains pyrodex under a 200 grain Traditions smack down 45 cal. bullet with their new ribbed sabot. Very accurate combination for me, shooting at paper but wasn't able to get a shot at any deer this past season.

Attachments

• 20191021_183837[547].jpg
    20191021_183837[547].jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 22
I carry mine in a holster while hunting, but remove it at the stand. Do you tote yours using the sling shown in your picture deermano? I'd be paranoid going thru the woods to get to the stand using that sling, but maybe its more secure than it looks. The sling that came with my pistol is still in the box.

I do carry mine slung over my shoulder, the pistol rests pretty much just under my arm. Haven't had any issues with bumping anything that might bother the scope.

Latest posts

Back