Optima V2 accuracy challenge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lapp the rings. Lots of good info in the Optics section here at MM.

Lapp the rings. Lots of good info in the Optics section here at MM.

Probably not worth it with these inexpensive rings. These should be able to consistently get better than 3 MOA even without lapping because the rings are actually pretty solid, especially given the price point. If this gun starts showing promise I'll consider upgrading the base and rings, and if the scope slips at all when a few inch pounds under min torque with quality rings then I may lap the rings. Of course then I'm expecting decent 200+ yards accuracy; 100 yards is a stretch right now.

The gun was delivered this morning, and hopefully I don't have a long wait for CVA to check it out.

Lapping the rings probably won’t improve accuracy any. What it does is insures that everything is in alignment. Also keeps the scope from being damaged, (ring marks).

That really surprises me a 250 grain bullet would have enough energy to get a complete pass through on a Elk over 200 yards with only 2 fifty grain 777 pellets. Not saying it diddnt happen just very surprising
All I can go by, is what was told to me. The cow was standing full broadside. I had coached the kid on the rifle and once he was competent at 100 yards, I made him shoot at 200, so that he could see the drop. He was hunting with a guide. I told the kid, if the guide said the elk was at 200, to hold the horizonal crosshair even with the top of the withers and line the vertical crosshair up, behind the shoulder. The kid shot, the guide looked at his mother, with a sick look on his face, and said, "I think he shot her in the butt". They walked over the rise, and said that the cow did not make it 25 yards over the rise, and that where she fell, there was blood in a 10 ft circle where she had rolled. I did not see it, and only repeating what I am told. I did eat some of the meat!

Same parent company https://www.bpioutdoors.com/
bpioutdoors-banner880w.jpg

The CVA uses Durasight mounts. I think it is a separate company. I have had several of these mounts, and have not had any problems with them. https://www.durasight.com/Durasight-Scope-Mounts.php

That's what came with my rifle, a Dead-On one piece base and rings. It's light but seems a solid setup. To lap the rings would require taking out a lot of metal from the grooved contact surfaces.

Liquid tape in the rings, will help with scope slipping in the rings. Excess comes right off.

Just take off the high spots so the scope is in full contact
That's what came with my rifle, a Dead-On one piece base and rings. It's light but seems a solid setup. To lap the rings would require taking out a lot of metal from the grooved contact surfaces.

CVA customer service estimates about a 4 week turn on my gun. Will let y'all know what arrives at my door in a month. Then will come the challenge of where to shoot at while my normal range (CF Phelps in VA) is closed.

The WV range I use opens May 1st till end of year, unless you have a closer public range.

The range is open year around, here. hehe. After my folks moved here from Morgantown, and had been here a few winters, they said they were never going back.

There were issues with the CVA mounts not being true thru the saddles casing scope tube torque & twist. A DNZ mount will be perfect & you’ll notice a huge difference in quality as soon as you see it.
With the possibility of a problem that’s all I need to go to a different/better mount.

That may have been the case at one time years ago, but not any longer. A guy that laps rings tells me that they are perfectly aligned. They don't make a set for 30mm tubes, so that narrows down choices even further. I just don't like the one piece ribbed mounts, and use their Weaver style base with a good set of 1" or 30mm Vortex or Warne rings.

Last edited:
The range is open year around, here. hehe. After my folks moved here from Morgantown, and had been here a few winters, they said they were never going back.
Your lucky!! I had another range once upon a time, but a new Chief of Police changed all that for us retirees. I dated a girl from Tyler back in my USAF days, early 70's. I really liked the country there, reminded me of VA. except there were no mountains.

My 2-cents being a CVA Optima V2 shooter:
1. Free-float your barrel by removing the forend stock material, with a rasp and sandpaper, where it touches the barrel.
2. Put a metal washer between the forend stock and the barrel lug first thing as that might give you the required clearance, and always tighten so the slot in the screwhead is in same position.
3. Buy a 2nd ramrod and always shoot with a ramrod in place.
4. Use a spitwad to clean between each shot.
Doing those simple things tightened up my groups. Also, based on what you've tried for powder I would recommend switching to loose powder to find that specific load, in 10 gr increments, your gun likes for tightest groups.

If that doesn't help, remove the scope install your original sights or buy an EABCO sight rail with Williams Peeps sights and shoot it at 25 or 50 yards. If you can't get it to put 3-shots into one ragged hole, then sell that gun.

Update: missed a call from CVA today, but looking at my account it appears they plan on sending a warranty replacement. Woohoo! Let the games begin... again! Assuming the replacement shoots like most, I should be able to hone in on a good load fairly quick with the variety of sabots and bullets piling up on the bench.

Latest posts

Back