Optima V2 and T7 3fg

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaguru

Reaction score
Some of you may remember last December when my son and I bought new Optima V2 rifles strictly to shoot T7 3fg powder. Had a thread on measure volumes vs weighed charges, etc.

Well took the time to get serious with these 2 rifles. Both scoped with Hawke 14225 3-9X40 AO IR scopes. Pressure has been relieved on barrel by shimming fore end to minimize barrel tension.

We'll start with my rifle. Tested 80 gr, 85 gr, 90 gr, 95 gr and 100 gr of T7 3fg by volume for best grouping (some may remember that I tap my measure when filling, have since I started BP 30 yrs). Used Hornady 240 gr XTP in black sabot as packaged from Traditions with W209 shotshell primer. Conditions were not ideal, but 50*F and 6-8 mph variable wind with mirage. Shot off bench using Rock BR front rest with rear bag, initially at 50 yds. After each shot a water dampened patch was run down until breech plug was felt both sides, then the same with a dry patch both sides. Fire channel cleaned after every 5 shots. After determining that 90 gr volume shot best group (and 100 gr recoil was brutal), went with weighed powder charges which this day had average of 79.7gr. (this a bit heavier than the average used last December). Shot for group at 50 yds and produced superior groups of 3/8", one ragged hole.

Set up the Chrony F-1 at 10' from the muzzle and proceeded to determine the velocity of this load, i was guessing about 1900 +/- fps. Well my guess was not all that close! 5 shots, 79.7gr weighed, registered 2059 to 2079 fps for an average of 2065.6 fps with ES of 20 fps!

So I was well satisfied with those results and shot a group at 100 yds that measured just a hair over 3/4" and another just under 1". POA hitting dead center for windage, 3/4" high at 50 yds and 1/4" high at 100 yds.

Totally satisfied with these results went on to my son's Optima V2.

Started with the same 90 gr volume load, shot it well but the primers were sticking in the breech plug and needed the removal tool to get them out. Went down to 80 gr volume load and shot 1/2" groups with no primer sticking problems, removed with fingers same as mine. As he is just a bit shy to heavy recoil I decided to try weighed charges at this setting. The weighed average was 66.7 gr, so I weighed out 8 charges of 66.7gr and shot 3 for group at 50 yds, measured 1/2" and was centered up on the target 1" high.

Back to the Chrony F-1 and recorded 5 shots from 1985 to 2008 fps, for an average of 1996.5 fps with and ES of 23 fps!

Totally satisfied and shocked with the velocity at this charge setting, much higher than I expected. Apparently his barrel is just a bit tighter than mine even though loading feels the same.

A plus to the lighter load is is less fouling, and loads much easier after wet/dry patch. Shot a group at 100 yds with volume thrown charges to check POI. 1 1/4" group centered up for windage and dead on for group center. He is good to go. He shot a couple 50 yd groups and they were just a tad larger by about 1/4" or so, but was satisfied that he is to blame should he miss a deer.

In conclusion, for my rifle I will used weighed charges of 80 grs and for my son's rifle 67 grs just to keep things a bit more simple.

Totally pleased with these rifles load combos, couldn't ask for too much more.

Nice range session! Your gonna have a full freezer :cool:

Definitely running faster than Hodgdon's published data, I wonder if the speed's would be closer if you didn't tap? I'm a tapper also when I use BH209 and I think it works better for me that way.

Back when I shot Triple 7, I liked using the 3fg version. It seemed to burn cleaner with less crud for some reason in my older model Optima. Never experienced an issue with the dreaded crude ring when using 3fg like I did with the 2fg. I hear a lot of folks say not to tap the measure when doing volumetric charges but, like you, it's what I've always done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back