Optima V2 Pistol, 2nd day out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourbore

Reaction score
I was better prepared and better coached with help from this forum. I had a great day. I swapped the reflex red-dot for a 2-6x optical scope. I weight my charges for volume equivalent 70,75 80 and 85. I did not need the 85 grain load. I am still shooting the 250 XTP hp. I had the appreciate size drill bits to clean out the primer reside after every shot. I gave the barrel a wipe down before I fired for a group. I used up the 70gr getting my scope zero at 25 yards. From what I read that is probably to light. The 75 gr charge put 3 shots into 1.2" at 50 yards! I fired three shots with 80gr and it opened up a little. I would say even if that was random effect, there was no gain. The recoil went up. I called 75gr the winner. I tweaked the scope and put two on the 'X' ring. That was the last of my 75gr charges, which ended my Optima day on a very positive note. The scope helped, but with 3 variables, I cannot say what was more important.

Attachments

• DSCN8040.JPG
    DSCN8040.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN8042.JPG
    DSCN8042.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 10
Thats much more like it with these pistols. Sometimes you just have to play with a few different loads to see what the firearm likes. Good optics can make a difference in precision as well. The 75 gr load with that 250 gr XTP will do just fine on whitetail. I believe it was MrTom who's taken a few deer using the 240 gr XTP out of his. Tom....correct me if I'm wrong.

I've done 4 nice does and a really decent 9 point. Three of the does were taken using a .45 cal 250 grain XTP. One doe and the buck were taken using the .44 cal 240 grain XTP bullet. All were pushed with 63 weighed grains [90 grains by volume] of the BH209 powder, all wearing Harvester Crush ribs for the appropriate caliber.

You're correct in part. I've taken 6 deer with the pistol, 4 using the .45 cal , 250 grain XTPs and 2 using .44 cal, 240 grain XTPs. All of these bullets got 63 weighed grains [90 grains by volume] of 209 powder and were wrapped in Harvester crush ribs of the appropriate caliber. I've taken over twenty deer with the XTPs in my rifles and the bullets just plain perform.

The picture is of the .44 cal from one of the does taken with the pistol.IMG_0324.JPG She was shot at about 45 yards perfect standing broadside. The hit was double shoulder and the bullet was just starting to tear out the back side shoulder.

I've since started shooting the .44cal Barnes XPB at 225 grains with the same powder charge and have closed up the pattern of five shots to an inch at 50 yards. I went to Barnes to eliminate having lead in bullets I hunt with now. Just a personal choice and the Barnes are just plain super accurate in this Optima pistol. I haven't plunked a deer yet with the XPB in this gun but will. The Barnes bullets I use in my Accura and in my .45 Kodiak CVA have taken deer with superb results and both of those guns deliver outstanding accuracy as well.

I dont image this sabot observation merits a separate discussion, but; still maybe interesting. My buddy was watching some of my 50 yard shooting and noted the sabots path. He walked out about 5 yards (give/take) and found all my sabots neatly piled in one spot. That is a range where shotgun sabots are strewn out over 25 to 50 yards! Looking at them we could see the base was greatly expanded and all 4 petals very wide open and all around very uniform. Uniform both around an individual and from sabot to sabot. Harvester black ribbed.

Attachments

• Harvester_fired.JPG
    Harvester_fired.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 4
It looks like the sabots performed as they're supposed to. How was the accuracy?

Shotgun sabots seem to me like they are made of much harder plastic. I don't know if the length of time that they've been stuffed inside the shell has any bearing on a slower release from the bullet when fired or not but is a possibility.

Third day at the range for my Optima Pistol. It started out a little rough. I first put the target on upside down and then, failing to concentrate enough, I shot low right with my first shot. These were shot with 63 weighed grains of BH209 pushing a 250 grain Barnes TEZ. That’s going to be my hunting load. I also shot my range bullet, the 240 grain XTP. I didn’t make a picture, but they grouped pretty well, too, but not as good as the TEZ’s. Overall, it was a good day in that it helped my confidence in the pistol and my shooting.

Attachments

• 00FF609A-7125-4669-9956-165E4635161E.jpeg
    00FF609A-7125-4669-9956-165E4635161E.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 3
I did use the blue Barnes sabots. I’ve never hunted with the TEZ’s, but I’ve seen some very good reviews on this forum and elsewhere.

I might try using a crony to measure velocity, That seems a bit risky with all the soot and sabot flying out. Does anyone have velocity data for various loads of 209 in this pistol? I wonder if I am giving up anything much at 75 gr vs 80 (volume)? Is there a calculator someone could run the numbers for me with a 250 gr bullet?

I might try using a crony to measure velocity, That seems a bit risky with all the soot and sabot flying out. Does anyone have velocity data for various loads of 209 in this pistol? I wonder if I am giving up anything much at 75 gr vs 80 (volume)? Is there a calculator someone could run the numbers for me with a 250 gr bullet?
Dont worry about using the chronograph. Myself and others on here use a chronogrsph quite often to test different loads. I have a Chrony Alpha. I just put some clear tap over the sensor slots to prevent debri from getting down into the sensor area.
As for load data.....my current hunting load, a 225 gr barnes xpb with a Harvester crush rib sabot, averaged 1561 fps with 85 gr of bh209 and 1617 fps with 90 gr bh209 by volume. The closest load to a 250 gr bullet I have data for is a 240 gr XTP with the smooth black sabots they came packaged with. 80 gr of bh209 by volume, they averaged 1474 fps and 90 gr averaged 1548 fps.

Latest posts

Back