Optima V2 pistol ballistics calculator

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Center-of-Mass

3 Antlers (count them)
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a ballistics calculator or charts for the Optima V2 pistol, for different powders/pellets, bullets, etc?

I'm most interested in the MV produced by one IMR White Hot (WH) 50gr pellet in the Optima V2 pistol with the 14" barrel for a variety of different commonly used bullets/sabots. I found one article (CVA Optima Muzzleloading Pistol) that provided MV of 870 or 890 fps for 2 different bullets. Basically equivalent to a standard 230 gr FMJ .45 ACP target round (890 fps). I am too cheap to buy a ballistic chronograph to get the data myself since I likely won't use it much after that. I'm guessing there're some folks on this group who already have the data.

I dont own a chronograph either so i cant help you out. Im hoping some one has the info your looking for. I dont shoot a load that light. 60grV of bh209 is my lightest under a 200gr Barnes

Thank you. I know it's a light load. I prefer the convenience of pellets over powder, but I may have to go to BH209 if IMR doesn't come out with some smaller White Hots, say 15 or 25 gr pellets.

I know my father in law shoots white hots. Next time I see him I’ll see if I can grab some from him. I’m planning on doing some testing with my pistol. Need to shoot a deer with my bow so I can have some free time! Hehe

Hodgdon makes a 30grain pellet. I think it's Pyrodex but it could be T7. It's intended for pistols so it's probably a 44/45 cal pellet
Yes, Hodgdon makes a 30 gr pellet in Pyrodex and in T7. I like the White Hots, but may have to go to Pyrodex or T7 so I can try 50+30=80 gr loads.

I know my father in law shoots white hots. Next time I see him I’ll see if I can grab some from him. I’m planning on doing some testing with my pistol. Need to shoot a deer with my bow so I can have some free time! Hehe
Best luck to you with the bow hunt.

Hodgdon also makes a 50/60. It's called triple 7 magnum. Little red box of 50, 50 cal, 60 grn pellets. I used to shoot them. Good stuff. Might be the light load you are looking for. I would expect one pellet of that with a 200-225 grn bullet would work well for close range whitetail. I still have a few in a box gathering dust some where. I think ill swap bp's in my v2 pistol and give them a try this weekend. I don't have a chronograph but I can give you a feel for accuracy and I can have a little fun! I've got plenty of 200 grn .451 lead hollows...

That’s an interesting idea. I have some blue sabot 200 gr T/Cshockwaves that should perform better with a lighter charge. So, can I mix a 50/50 Pyrodex or white hot pellet with a 30 gr T7 or Pyrodex pellet? It’s difficult if not impossible to find any pellets in middle TN other than 50/50.

I'm most interested in the MV produced by one IMR White Hot (WH) 50gr pellet in the Optima V2 pistol with the 14" barrel for a variety of different commonly used bullets/sabots. I found one article (CVA Optima Muzzleloading Pistol) that provided MV of 870 or 890 fps for 2 different bullets. Basically equivalent to a standard 230 gr FMJ .45 ACP target round (890 fps). I am too cheap to buy a ballistic chronograph to get the data myself since I likely won't use it much after that. I'm guessing there're some folks on this group who already have the data.
I do have an F1 Chrony… send me your pistol and I’ll get the velocity numbers for you!

Thanks, but no thanks. I have been using the T7 50/60 pellet for a 20% greater charge, but I picked up a box of T7 FireStar 50/33 pellets and plan to try 2 of them. That would provide a 32% greater charge (66 vs 50 gr). Haven't had chance to test that theory yet. Hey, send me your Chrony with instructions and I will let you know the experimental results.

Thanks, but no thanks. I have been using the T7 50/60 pellet for a 20% greater charge, but I picked up a box of T7 FireStar 50/33 pellets and plan to try 2 of them. That would provide a 32% greater charge (66 vs 50 gr). Haven't had chance to test that theory yet. Hey, send me your Chrony with instructions and I will let you know the experimental results.
Since you guys can’t come to a deal as to who sends who what…I’ll be the unbiased third party and you both send me the gun and chrono and I’ll let you both know what I find out 😉

Well, I tried 2 FireStar T7 pellets (67 gr total) today with t/c 250 shockwave w/ mag express sabot (black sabots). 35 yds and windy unfortunately. 4 shots swabbing between. Burris FF3 (3 MOA) red dot. I’m happy with this combo. After #4 (just above the bullseye), I adjusted sight down a click (1 MOA or approx 1/2”) where I’ll keep it for now. Shots 1 & 4 were 1.5” from center, shots 2&3 were 2” from center. Considering the gusty windy conditions, and the 3 MOA red dot (which covers 1.05” of a target at 35 yds, whose bullseye 🎯 is only 0.75” diameter) covering up the bullseye and more, I can accept this consistency and accuracy for 🦌 deer size targets <35 yds. And the power (“punch”) of the 67 gr equivalent of 2 FireStar T7 pellets was just right for this shooter. I have enjoyed shooting .45 ACP in full size 1911s for years, and this “load” handles similarly. 64DFDF3D-9F2B-415D-B54F-653373FB47A1.jpeg

Latest posts

Back