Optima V2 Pistol, first day out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourbore

Reaction score
I fired about 15 to 20 shots yesterday and would appreciate some ideas what variable to tweek first in the quest for more accuracy. I have 4 targets that are either 3 or 4 shot groups. These all equate to 3" spread at 50 yards. I am shooting BH209 by volume, 65 grains. Federal 209A primer. Harvester black crush sabots. Hornady 250 XTP hollow point. I absolutely want to stay with 209 and some type of sabot for now.

I do have the Blackhorn breech plug and yet after 20 shots the 1/10 inch channel between the primer and pin hole was filled to the point I had to stop. I wipe down the barrel between groups, but; I dont think I needed to wipe the barrel. The big mess was the rear (primer side) half of the plug.

I like Hornady bullets, because I can buy 100 box. I read about Barnes TEZ at $1 each. That is fine if it works. I am wondering about trying a red tip Hornady like the 225 or 250 grain 452 bullet?

What you all try next, another bullet? Maybe more velocity with 80 grains? Practice? I used a red, dot. I will probably mount a scope for next time. I think maybe the breech plug is the issue. Or a big piece of it.

At one point, I strung along 3 shots in 2" at 50 yards. That would be ok for me. The last 3 in the bottom target. After that I setup at 75 and shot 4 into 4 inch! Moved back to 50 and shot another 3 " group. After that, I had no way to clean the back cavity on the plug and I called it quits.

Attachments

• First_day.jpg
    First_day.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 10
Sounds like a fun day. I normally clean the flame channel every ten shots, sometimes less. A scope may help to shrink those groups too. :lewis:

I have a tool to clean the flame channel but the problem is between the flame channel and primer. I may buy a 2nd or 3rd plug so I can soak and rotate as I shoot. I got one of those T17 soaker bottles on order. I think there is a special little brush for that spot. That primer residue is rock hard.

I made a drawing:

Attachments

• Plug_crud.jpg
    Plug_crud.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
That’s the area I’m speaking of, use a drill bit the proper size to clean. There’s a bunch of info in the threads on that subject. Use the search function to access.

Agree with HC. While the BP is clean you need to find a better fitting drill bit that will clean it to the walls. 7/64" i believe. it IS affecting your accuracy. I run the bit in there every 2-4 shots at most. I found a quick connect bit is easier to use by hand than a plain bit. The more shots between cleaning the harder it is. Heck do it between every shot if you want to. CVA sells a bit set with a knurled handle. Looks handy.
ps: this is the flame channel. The other is the flash hole, primer pocket and the powder 'dish'? I get the terminology mixed up sometimes too.

Thank you. I added labels to my sketch. Now, I am getting so bad, I need to remember I made a sketch.

I will take that drill bit with me to the range. I have a little hand chuck someplace. I cannot find it! That QD hex bit is a good idea. I will see if I have an extra.

I was keeping the charge low (65gr) to minimize recoil and fouling. I assume for white tail, 100 to 200 pound deer 50 to 100 yards I shoud load closer to 80 grains? Is 65 enough with that big hollow cavity 250 gr pistol bullet? My 100yds estimate is an absolute max.

I shot the Barnes 290 tmz and really liked it. I like the SSTs too. After keeping the flame channel clean i would suggest you try upping the powder. 5grns at a time. The Optimas seem to do well with hotter loads. 65grn should be enough under a 250grn bullet. But see if you tighten up with more powder and a clean channel.

My channel will not take 1/8". That is a CVA Blackhorn plug. The No 38 drill bit is an ok fit. Looks like 7/64 would work, but: I dont have a spare hex drive in that size. I do have sets of number bits in quantities, so; I will use the 38. It maybe it is all metric?

SORRY FORGET 38, too small.

I checked the origional plug and it will take No32 or 33. The Blackhorn plug is still dirty! I think the 33 will clean it out. The 7/64 is a little under. The 1/8 does not pass either plug channel. it took me all of 60 seconds to clean the barrel and a day later and I am still cleaning the plug. I got it now.

Last edited:
That diagram is a Blackhorn plug; it takes a 1/8" drill. The OEM plug takes a 3mm drill. The 7/64" drill is close; the #32 drill is almost perfect, very close.

Ive found the sweet spot to be some where between 80-90 gr when using BH209 with the Optima pistols. When first starting out, I had good luck using the Thompson Center brand pre-packaged 240 gr XTP with smooth black sabots and 80-85 gr of bh209 by volume. At 50 yards, my pistol would put 3 shots into 1.5 inches with no stabbing in between shots. Groups started opening up at 90 gr. Currently shooting a 225 gr, .429 caliber Barnes XPB with a Harvested crush rib sabot and 90 gr of bh209 and CCI magnum primers. Off bags at the range, it'll put 3 shots into an inch pretty consistently. 85 gr produces similar groupings. At the range, I'll pull the plug and clean everything out after 9 shots. I used a 1/8th inch bit for cleaning when I was using the cva blackhorn plug. Now, I use a stock plug that has been modified to use bh209 and accept ventliners. That plug uses a 5/32 bit when cleaning.

Currently shooting a 225 gr, .429 caliber Barnes XPB with a Harvested crush rib sabot and 90 gr weighed of bh209 and CCI magnum primers. Off bags at the range, it'll put 3 shots into an inch pretty consistently. 85 gr produces similar groupings. At the range, I'll pull the plug and clean everything out after 9 shots. I used a 1/8th inch bit for cleaning when I was using the cva blackhorn plug. Now, I use a stock plug that has been modified to use bh209 and accept ventliners. That plug uses a 5/32 bit when cleaning.

This mirrors my load exactly except I use the W209 primers. My gun uses converted plugs and vent liners too. I get the same accuracy at 50 yards.

Last edited:
I use a stock plug that has been modified to use bh209 and accept ventliners.
My gun uses converted plugs and vent liners too.
Could someone provide a info-pointer to this vent liner modification? I have a spare stock cva plug that I could try and DIY modify with a tutorial and parts source.

I see, found it with google. That is pretty slick. Well, seems odd they are domed when I would expect a dish shape or flat like the savage they replace.

Last edited:
I shot my pistol for the first time this week, too. I was using 63 grains of BH209 and a 240 grain XTP, a load recommended by Mr. Tom, but I only shot at 25 yards. No plug fouling issues using the Lehigh 209 plug.

Attachments

• 312999C6-B5DF-4949-89D8-96F002260F47.jpeg
    312999C6-B5DF-4949-89D8-96F002260F47.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 7
Bob, you need more accuracy than that. Or were you adjusting the sights? The center 3 shots look very good.
AH, oh. I wonder. 63 grains by weight is about 85 grains by volume. Which way do you measure?

A Lehigh plug! I am getting so confused. A few minutes ago, I placed and order with Badger Ind. for the screw in vent liners to modify a plug. There are complete plugs too?

I had to look it up: my 250 XTP is 0.452 your 240 XTP is 0.430 ! Am I see that right? And would it be an extra thick sabot?

Last edited:
Back