Optima V2 Pistol, first day out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, you need more accuracy than that. Or were you adjusting the sights? The center 3 shots look very good.
AH, oh. I wonder. 63 grains by weight is about 85 grains by volume. Which way do you measure?

A Lehigh plug! I am getting so confused. A few minutes ago, I placed and order with Badger Ind. for the screw in vent liners to modify a plug. There are complete plugs too?

I had to look it up: my 250 XTP is 0.452 your 240 XTP is 0.430 ! Am I see that right? And would it be an extra thick sabot?

Yes sir,
Lehigh Defense sells a breech plug with removable vent liners for 2010, and newer, CVA Accura, 0ptima, and Wolf model rifles. It also fits the 0ptima V2 pistol.

BP-BP-C1 BH209 breech plug w/ 1 vent liner.......$26.00

VL-1 vent liners, pkg/4......$22.00

This is what I have purchased for my lightly used Optima V2 pistol that I took in trade with forum member Mt. Monkey.

The center 3 shots were the final three shots, so I’m reasonably happy. Going to try at 50 yards next week. The one flyer was caused by a delayed ignition which was my fault. After firing twice, I ran a patch down the bore without taking the plug out. Think I jammed up the flash hole.

I shot my pistol for the first time this week, too. I was using 63 grains [weighed grains] of BH209 and a 240 grain XTP, a load recommended by Mr. Tom, but I only shot at 25 yards. No plug fouling issues using the Lehigh 209 plug.

Please, always add whether your 209 powder charges are weighed or by volume. That's a dandy load for the 240 grain .44 cal , the 250 grain .45 cal,[both XTPs] and the 225 grain .44 cal 225 grain Barnes XPB. With the Barnes at 50 yards this load gets me 1" groups and this is what I hunt with now.

A Lehigh plug! I am getting so confused. A few minutes ago, I placed and order with Badger Ind. for the screw in vent liners to modify a plug. There are complete plugs too?

I had to look it up: my 250 XTP is 0.452 your 240 XTP is 0.430 ! Am I see that right? And would it be an extra thick sabot?
Yep, they came out with a plug that uses ventliners after I had my two stock breech plugs modified. I hear they're excellent replacement breech plugs.
Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, CVA 2010 and Newer Accura, Optima, and Wolf Breech Plug

I shoot .429/.430 caliber bullets out of my Optima pistol and rifle. It is a slightly thicker sabot configuration. Some muzzleloaders do well with the .429/.430 bullets and some don't. My Optima pistol and rifle do really well with them.

HERE is one way.

A couple things one maybe should change is replace the 3/8" drill with a 25/64" drill, and drill 1/8" deeper. Replace the 3/8" center drill with a 3/8" 82° counter sink.

THANK YOU so much for that. I am ready. If I mess this up, it wont be for lack of instructions.

Bruce, Chris,

I will call Monday and see if I can include one breech plug with my vent liner order. If all goes well, that will give me a total of three. That is a heck of a good days shooting with 3 plugs in my range bag.

I took the time to weigh charges in 5 grain increments. Five of each, 20 tubes. I did not weight my first day out. That will be the volume equivalent of 70,75,80 and 85 (or by weight 51,55,59 and 63)

It is a one piece plug. When I ordered it I thought I was getting the vent liner. I have one in my Optima rifle, too. I’m using the Harvester Crush Rib green sabots They provide a good snug fit. Ive seen a number of good reviews here for that bullet-sabot combo. I shoot a 300 grain XTP in the rifle but wanted less recoil from the pistol, so I went with the 240 grain.

Back