Optima V2 pistol hunting loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Reaction score
What is everyone loading in their V2 pistols for hunting this fall?

Got this from Mr. Tom...90 grains (63 measured) BH209, Hornady XTP 250 grain with green smooth sabot.

Smyrnagc.....I no longer use the XTP's. Been using the Barnes XPB bullets for three years now.

63 weighed grains of BH209, .44 cal Barnes 225 grain XPB, green sabot, winchester 209 primer. Deadly.

Smyrnagc.....I no longer use the XTP's. Been using the Barnes XPB bullets for three years now.

63 weighed grains of BH209, .44 cal Barnes 225 grain XPB, green sabot, winchester 209 primer. Deadly.

My bad...In our discussions about my pistol I had said that I had XTPs and you said they would be OK, and you had shot them before. They work great on killing targets. Hoping to find out about deer very soon.

Other than that I am using exactly the same as you.

The first four deer that fell to my Optima pistol fell to 240 grain XTPs. They're great muzzleloader bullets in 44, 45 calibers. I just made a decision to go lead free in the field and the XPB bullets by Barnes fit the bill nicely in the muzzleloaders. My Accura V2, the Optima pistol and my Kodiak .45 all use Barnes bullets when hunting deer.

For my pistol, it's been 80 grains [V] of Blackhorn with the Hornady 240 grain XTPs. Very accurate bullet.
Lately, I've changed it up to the 45 caliber TC Maxi ball, 245 grain, with the Harvester high pressure black sabot.
Haven't taken a deer with either one yet, maybe during the rifle season here this year.

Latest posts

Back