Optima V2 pistols in stock!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already got one! What can I do? I like these so much, I long for an excuse. A 58 caliber version, would be just such a reason for me. CVA needs to think about this. Demand will eventually taper off. If not more calibers, than what? A more tasteful shoulder stock model than that horrible AR15 style disaster?

I already got one! What can I do? I like these so much, I long for an excuse. A 58 caliber version, would be just such a reason for me. CVA needs to think about this. Demand will eventually taper off. If not more calibers, than what? A more tasteful shoulder stock model than that horrible AR15 style disaster?
Awe c'mon now. I love my AR15 disaster stock:dance:

The following barrels to be 416 stainless steel × 14" long

A .45 caliber barrel with a 1:16" twist that has 0.004" deep square bottom grooves for lead conicals & sabots.

A .54 caliber barrel with a 1:24" twist that has 0.004" deep square bottom grooves for lead conicals.

A .62 caliber barrel with a 1:54" twist (1/3 turn per 13.5" actual bore length) that has 0.012" deep round bottom grooves for patched balls.

And finally......

An 18" long × 416 stainless steel × 20 gauge × 0.620" bore diameter × smoothbore barrel that is internally threaded at the muzzle for interchangeable choke tubes with a trio of cylinder bore, modified, and extra full turkey choke tubes supplied with the barrel.

A .45 caliber barrel with a 1:16" twist that has 0.004" deep square bottom grooves for lead conicals & sabots.

A .54 caliber barrel with a 1:24" twist that has 0.004" deep square bottom grooves for lead conicals.

A .62 caliber barrel with a 1:54" twist (1/3 turn per 13.5" actual bore length) that has 0.012" deep round bottom grooves for patched balls.

And finally......

An 18" long × 416 stainless steel × 20 gauge × 0.620" bore diameter × smoothbore barrel that is internally threaded at the muzzle for interchangeable choke tubes with a trio of cylinder bore, modified, and extra full turkey choke tubes supplied with the barrel.
Are you having them made for your Optima?

Are you having them made for your Optima?

I am going to call Bobby Hoyt to ask him if I was to send him a brand new pistol, would he be willing to/able to, make an entirely new barrel with a larger diameter breech that would accept a breech plug with either 3/4"-24 threads, or 7/8"-24 threads? The breech plug thread diameter contingent for a bore diameter of 0.672" × 6-groove, Forsyth-style rifling × 0.012" deep round bottom grooves × 0.696" groove diameter × a 7:1 ratio of groove width (0.30772") to land width (0.04396") × a 1:56" rate of twist.

Then, a 0.668" diameter pure lead ball should drop from the mold at approximately 446.84 grains, 9.34 grains heavier than a 1oz ball.

For the short range distances that most big game animals will be killed at with the Optima V2 pistol, a large bore, patched ball barrel rifled with a round ball twist will kill anything in North America that a muzzleloading hunter has the courage to hunt.

And finally......

Im with doc on the 20 ga....fun, fun,fun

I will keep a watch on this forum. I am wondering how big an Optima could be modified given the frame size. I would like a 20ga, but; how would that fit? A 14" 20ga would be a great rabbit gun. There is also a matter of cost. As the cost climbs a solution based on the Encore in muzzle loading 20ga pistol might be more practical. I would probably have to bow out at that point. A 20ga pistol at a CVA price point, image that!

Rather than making oversize breech plugs another option is a thread adapter over the current cva plugs.

I understand why people came back with the 45 idea. That is an easy fit. I dont want one, but; I see the logic. Obvious, but; I did not think about it until I read the follow up posts. And 45 has a following. Ok, I would buy a 45 at CVA pricing, even if I dont think I need one. That is 4 of those sold right here.

Last edited:
A c
I like the 20ga idea but with a cyl. bore no choke tubes.
A cylinder bore 20 gauge Optima V2 pistol with a bore diameter of 0.620" would be a very versatile pistol.

It would be capable of utilizing most of the plastic 20 gauge wads that Ballistic Products sells.

It could utilize any of the traditional wads from Circle Fly that Track of the Wolf sells. The 0.125" thick over powder card wads, the 0.062" thick over shot card wads, & the 0.500" thick veggie fiber wads.

You could use 16 gauge × 0.125" thick wool wads for bare ball shooting.

You could shoot patched balls, buckshot, or birdshot out of it.

Send the barrel out to Briley to be threaded for thin-wall, flush-mounted choke tubes. Purchase a cylinder bore tube, and a special order, super full, turkey choke tube that will deliver 90% patterns out to 35 yards.

The super full choke tube would require you to load the powder charge, over powder wad(s), plastic shot cup, shot charge, and over shot wad prior to installing the choke tube in the barrel.

Since turkey hunting is a one shot proposition, and reloading on the fly for a second shot is virtually nonexistent, having to load as above is really not a drawback. Not when one considers the massive advantage that a super full choke tube brings to both improved patterns, as well as significantly extending the effective range.

Out to 35-50 yards, there is a better than 75% chance, that with some serious range time to develop an accurate load, that a cylinder bore 20 gauge barrel will be just as accurate as a rifled barrel would be, both shooting a patched ball.

A 0.610" diameter pure lead ball weighing approximately 340 grains will put the hammer on deer at Optima V2 pistol hunting ranges.

Last edited:
Back