Optima V2 pistols in stock!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gave me an idea MM...I sent Hogue an email asking them to look into making a grip for the Optima V2 pistol. I will let you all know either way, never know they might be interested.

I’m in the middle of writing to Hogue, as we speak. Thanks for the nudge I needed to do so!

DOES ANYONE KNOW:
1) Does the “original” Optima pistol have the same grip as the Optima V2?
2) Does the CVA Scout centerfire pistol us the same grip as the Optima V2 pistol?

I don’t know how many units Hogue would need to move, in order to recoup their development costs, costs and turn a profit(?).

I think this is an uphill battle, but I think that the ONLY way it’s possible, is if EVERYONE who has interest in a Hogue grip, get on their website and CONTACT HOGUE!

Last edited:
I’m in the middle of writing to Hogue, as we speak. Thanks for the nudge I needed to do so!

DOES ANYONE KNOW:
2) Does the CVA Scout centerfire pistol us the same grip as the Optima V2 pistol?

I don’t know how many units Hogue would need to move, in order to recoup their development costs, costs and turn a profit(?).

I think this is an uphill battle, but I think that the ONLY way it’s possible, is if EVERYONE who has interest in a Hogue grip, get on their website and CONTACT HOGUE!
The v2 optima pistol and the scout CF pistols DO have the same grip.

That fact might bode well, for the possibility of interesting Hogue in building a grip! 👍
I must be the Lone Ranger regarding the Optima grips. They fit me just fine and I can control the pistol thru the recoil well. I take the pistol to the range every time I go and run anywhere from 10 to 15 hunting loads thru it. I do this to stay in touch with the gun. Yes,I feel the recoil after about round 12, but with the load I use any grip is going to let you know that there’s recoil after 12rounds.

DOES ANYONE KNOW:
The grip is also the same on the original or 'v1' optima pistol.

I have yet to shoot the V1 optima pistol ! recently purchased, is there an issue with the texture of the grip. It seemed to fit my hand well, just wondering about all of the grip discussion.

Like Mr. Tom I have no issues with the grips on mine, they are the V2 version. My loads vary but I use no more than 90 grs (V) of BH in one and 80grs of 77 or so in my other two. Bullets are 200 to 240 gr. I did shoot with 100grs for giggles a couple of times but then it gets a bit dicey to handle.

Not really an issue. Its more a love/hate thing. Some folks like it, some (me) don't like it.

Then there’s some (me) who are always trying to build a better mousetrap! But, like Uncle Dick told me, “You go ahead and build your better mousetrap. In the meantime, I’m going to catch ten mice, in my old one!😆

For reference, see: shimming, custom breech plugs, vent liners, shoulder stocks, felt wads, fiber wads, etc. 😎

My primary (only) interest is in different grips. I find the stock grips to be “OK,” but keep thinking that they could be improved. I get the same pinching that “toytruck” refers to. I’m going to try cleaning up the sharp edge below the trigger guard. In theory you’re not touching it, but I think my fat fingers are squeezing in there, and getting pinched.

deermanok’s solution of wearing a glove is WAY too simple… there’s got to be a more complex solution to be found! :p

Ironically, my Ruger 10/22 remains stock, except for the addition of a scope. Go figure!

Farrow Tech originally wanted to build their stock adapter with an AR grip but aparently it interfered with the CVA hardware somehow. He is changing some stuff that may allow more flexibility in building some new products. And he is looking for someone that can test a version with a picatinny rail instead of a buffer tube. If anyone has a brace that mounts to a pic rail, and an optima or scout pistol contact Farrow Tech. He responds super quick by email.

I have no problem with the grip, I use a light glove when shooting for fun time. I probably won't be using a glove for shots at animals though.
Load is 63 wgt BH and Barnes T-EZ.

Anyhow I just put another one on backorder at Muzzle-Loaders that I'll run a reflex sight on.

I thought i read somewhere that there are CVA rifle barrels that will fit on the optima V2... maybe i'm not remembering correctly

I often use the V2 as a hog hunting backup (due to state and WMA regulations). Normal load is a 400 grain GG bullet over 100 grnV T7-2f, sometimes fired with one hand. A 300 grain .44 in .50 sabot over 120 grnV T7-2f proved unmanageable.

My problem with the grip is the angle of attachment to the frame. For shooting off a rest or bipod the near 90-degree angle is fine, but not when holding the pistol with extended arm(s) and hand(s). I need a longer grip more inline with the bore axis. JMO.

A 300 grain .44 in .50 sabot over 120 grnV T7-2f proved unmanageable.

It should if you're using it in the pistol since its only rated for 100 grains [v] of powder.

It should if you're using it in the pistol since its only rated for 100 grains [v] of powder.
From the CVA Optima V2 Owners Manual page 9.

MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM LOADS FOR OPTIMA V-2 RIFLE CVA recommends a minimum of 50 grains, by volume, of blackpowder or blackpowder substitute in your CVA muzzleloader rifle. The maximum load in CVA break-action guns, and any other CVA in-line gun designated as a “Magnum” is 150 grains by volume. This maximum load is generally known as the “magnum” load and is best suited for pelletized powder due to the more efficient burning characteristics of the powder pellets. Magnum loads of loose powder may be shot but are not recommended because of their inefficient and incomplete burning of the powder. Some bullet designs depend on the thrust of the powder charge to expand, or obdurate, the bullet inside the bore for best accuracy. Loads under 50 grains cannot be depended on to do this. In many cases lighter bullets are more sensitive to this than heavier bullets and often require heavy powder charges to produce the best accuracy. For those who wish to shoot moderate powder charges of 90 to 120 grains the heavier bullets generally give better results.

MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM LOADS FOR OPTIMA V-2 PISTOL CVA recommends a minimum of 50 grains, by volume, of blackpowder or blackpowder substitute in your CVA muzzleloader pistol. Although the Optima pistol shares a similar action and barrel with Optima rifle and is equally strong, the 150 grain “magnum” charge is not appropriate due to the short barrel length. In fact, the extra unburned powder can actually reduce the velocity of the bullet. Testing of various powders and pellets, using a chronograph for accurate velocity measurements, has shown that the highest velocities were attained with 90 to 100 grains of loose or 100 grains of pelletized powder.

Last edited:
From the CVA Optima V2 Owners Manual page 9.

Although the Optima pistol shares a similar action and barrel with Optima rifle and is equally strong, the 150 grain “magnum” charge is not appropriate due to the short barrel length. In fact, the extra unburned powder can actually reduce the velocity of the bullet. Testing of various powders and pellets, using a chronograph for accurate velocity measurements, has shown that the highest velocities were attained with 90 to 100 grains of loose or 100 grains of pelletized powder.

The original Optima pistols were rated at 100 grains [v]. Nothing over 90 grains [v] showed any improvement in accuracy, just more recoil and un-burned powder, in the original. I have two of the V2s and the one in use shares that finding with the original. I have a couple of current owners manuals and know what they state but I think for the everyday casual shooter maybe adhere to what I've underlined.

Last edited:
Back