Optima V2 Pistols

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would definitely use a sling over the holster. Single point tactical or double would work. There’s no way I could draw from a holster with out using two hands. My torso is too short or the gun is to long! Top of holster would have to be at my knee cap. That said I don’t have a sling. I can’t hunt with this in Oregon so I use for target shooting only. Red dot is nice as is the optic front sight.

As mentioned in another post, the eyelet screw came with my gun. I use it to mount a bi pod when shooting off a bench.

06AA2D8A-4E86-471D-BCAB-DA443D952A4B.jpeg
0ED4DD11-7E1F-47AC-B4A6-3DFEC26F1FD9.jpeg
FF7A0485-E8FC-4B4F-8C01-3DA8E769FDF9.jpeg
BEB4E3C6-3995-4D64-B4C8-FD446AE0C2B9.jpeg32EDB561-27C6-4032-BCE8-A2DA2364E433.jpegF1092841-2816-42BF-9C0B-7FAF076E4CB8.jpeg

Last edited:
It seems a little long for a holster to be practical. My ROA is hard to draw with a typical belt holster, especially with a heavier coat on. I had to mod it to hang really low to be handy. A cross body holster maybe better. But those seem cumbersome. You would probly take off the front sight if using a holster too.

I have a TC Contender holster for my Optima V2 pistol, works great! Large strap goes over the shoulder, smaller strap around the upper waist for across the body draw. Not a fast draw by any means, but holds the pistol in place especially while walking or dragging one out.

Last edited:
I have a gun on order and not decided if I want to carry the extra bulk of a scope. Or a red dot as a compromise. Or iron sights. I believe the gun is drilled and tapped and sights available from all the usual sellers. Unfortunately, the scope base needs to come off. I would not think about it for to long. I been watching gun broker for a used Optima pistol. No luck. I jumped on this.

Here is a set for $30 (assuming drilled and taped) :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CVA-Optima...l-Sights-AC1628-DuraSight-Sights/233531606110
That was a great tip, thanks. My pistol arrived last night and the iron sights give me another option I wouldn't have considered.

That was a great tip, thanks. My pistol arrived last night and the iron sights give me another option I wouldn't have considered.

I got an email a few minutes ago from Muzzle-loaders.com. That was a list of recommended accessories. The sight were on the list $27. They also advertised a nylon CVA carry bag. I dont plan to buy the bag, but; it is tempting. They seems very well stocked, fair prices and low shipping. I was at two other website this week looking at supplies and both were saying as much as 4 weeks delay due to hi-volume corona sales. A lot of people, most of us, stuck at home with $1200 to burn.

Edit: Back again, at the bottom of the email, it said FREE SHIPPING. Just like that all big capitol letters.

Received my Pistol yesterday from Muzzle-loaders.com. They have been good people to work with. I can hardly wait to shoot it but it appears my back ordered scope is another two weeks away.

Received my Pistol yesterday from Muzzle-loaders.com. They have been good people to work with. I can hardly wait to shoot it but it appears my back ordered scope is another two weeks away.

Which scope did you order, and whom did you order it from.

I looked at Optics Planet around 11:45 last night for the Leapers UTG 2-7×32mm pistol scope. They showed 1 in stock, with a 7-10 day shipping delay due to the Covid-19 crisis.

I jumped on it and ordered it ASAP. Should have it within 2 weeks, hopefully less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m glad you got that scope. I ordered one a couple of weeks ago from them and found out this morning I couldn’t expect shipping until May 28 so I cancelled it. Now I can’t find anything within my budget and expectations, so I’d like to ask veteran Optima pistol owners a question. Will a scout scope work? Here’s one I’m considering:

https://leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&itemno=SCP3-274LAOIEW&midx=2109&allids=2108_2107_2109
It has eye relief of 11”-9.5”

I will appreciate any input you can offer.

You can get a nice Burris pistol scope, straight 2x20 mm. for about $ 250.00 .
I have an older model Tasco 2x20 on my pistol. It does what I need it to do.

Which scope did you order, and whom did you order it from.

I looked at Optics Planet around 11:45 last night for the Leapers UTG 2-7×32mm pistol scope. They showed 1 in stock, with a 7-10 day shipping delay due to the Covid-19 crisis.

I jumped on it and ordered it ASAP. Should have it within 2 weeks, hopefu m-llly less.

This afternoon I went back to Optics Planet and ordered the Warne, steel, two piece Weaver/Picatinny bases for CVA rifles, which according to muzzle-loaders.com, also fit the Optima V2 pistol. And, a set of Warne, low, Q-D lever 1" scope rings. As well as a Warne, T-handle, 25 in pounds, torx screws, torque wrench for the bases & rings.

Also included in the order are the GrovTec Heavy Duty, Push Button, 9/16"-18, SS, sling swivel bases; a set of GrovTec D-ring Recessed Plunger, Push Button sling swivels; and a Magpul Gen3 2pt/1pt Tactical sling.

And, that is going to be it except for the Lehigh breech plug, the vent liners, and DOC White's Javelina stocks; until next month. Then the MZ-REX 2 muzzle brakes.

Starting completely from scratch with absolutely nothing is kinda daunting. It is amazing how fast the cost of all the "Little Stuff" adds up.

When I became homeless I had 3 decent sized tool boxes of m-l paraphernalia left over from when I sold off all my guns.

Patch knives, stones, flints, percussion caps, cappers, nipples, nipple wrenches, cotton bore mops, wire bore brushes, brass cleaning jags, cleaning rods, vent picks, cut patches, bulk patch material, cleaning patches, cleaning solutions, ball mold, bulk lead, lead buckshot, fixed powder measures, adjustable powder measures, 0-1" micrometer, 0-150mm dial caliper, etc., etc., etc.

It's amazing how much "STUFF" you can acquire that you seldom use.

This time around, thanks to this forum, and it's members, I have the chance to NOT PURCHASE THINGS THAT DON'T WORK. Even so, there is going to be a hefty final price tag, especially once the 1-gallon jugs of Blackhorn209 start getting purchased.

See edit from 5 to 1-gallon.

My bad!!!!

Never saw the 5 gallon jugs of BH209 before.

Never saw the 5 gallon jugs of BH209 before.

That would be pretty amazing, wouldn't it !!!@#$^&(. I'd hate to see the price tag on a 5-gallon drum of Blackhorn209.

I edited my above post to a 1-gallon jug.

I was thinking, and typing, faster than my eyes were working, Or something like that ! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!.

I've been doing laundry all afternoon since I returned from Wal-Mart, grocery shopping for myself, and 2 other vets here at MCVET.

We only get to leave the facility here in Maryland once a week, unless you have an essential job. I generally shop for 2-3 other people every week, but a lot of the guys are ordering food delivered in ready to eat. Myself, with access to a common kitchen on our floor (11 men), I cook.

Bruce

That would be pretty amazing, wouldn't it !!!@#$^&(. I'd hate to see the price tag on a 5-gallon drum of Blackhorn209.

I edited my above post to a 1-gallon jug.

I've been doing laundry all afternoon since I returned from Wal-Mart, grocery shopping for myself, and 2 other vets here at MCVET.

Got to thinking and typing too fast.

Bruce
I would buy a 5 gallon jug of it. Best way ive heard yet to spend a stimulus check. It would probly come in right around 1200 plus shipping.

I would buy a 5 gallon jug of it. Best way ive heard yet to spend a stimulus check. It would probly come in right around 1200 plus shipping.

Yeah, I was thinking $1,100 if Midsouth Shooters Supply was selling it.

Let's see.....

7000 grains in a pound.
70 grains avg. per shot in my pistol.
100 shots per pound.

How many pounds in a 5-gallon drum?
How many shots per week?
How many pounds per week?
How many drums per year?

$$$$$$$$$$ YOWZA!!!!

I have a TC Contender holster for my Optima V2 pistol, works great! Large strap goes over the shoulder, smaller strap around the upper waist for across the body draw. Not a fast draw by any means, but holds the pistol in place especially while walking or dragging one out.

This is the system I use with my Optima. It rides over the top of the hunting coat nicely and I can get to the pistol "right now" when needed. My holster's cover flap velcros on and off so when I am actually do a still hunt I remove it and leave it in the stand. I tried the factory sling apparatus and that didn't cut it so I tried the sling with double studs and wasn't too pleased with it either. Honestly I have only twice come across an opportunity to shoot in all my years in the woods while walking to the stand and even with a rifle its not exactly the handiest of times to be slinging lead as I usually have my other hand occupied with something else. The holster option keeps the gun dry if its wet weather and helps keep from snagging and hanging up on twigs and branches.

Latest posts

Back