Optima V2 Pistols

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as getting a shot at deer walking in my experiences are way different. I have bumped deer walking in even two hours before daylight an never saw a deer after that same day. I now just wait till first light that I can see enough to determine the type of deer (size,sex) an have killed many with this method. This works especially on morning hunts, not as often on evening hunts, but has happened. Like my deceased old hunting buddy used to say "you never know when your gonna see a deer".
Just last season my son was hunting with me, he went out to the other side of property, soybean field, while I stayed back an walked into the small woods behind the landowner house. I had just got set up after he had left the field when a big doe walked into the woods between us. He never saw her, but I did! I had my White .451 S91, he had the .504 S91.
I shot her just as he got to his stand he told me later. I found her and was dressing her out when he came dragging a 4 point buck. I hadn't heard his shot. First time we have double killed on that farm. Fun part of hunting, you just never know...

As far as getting a shot at deer walking in my experiences are way different. I have bumped deer walking in even two hours before daylight an never saw a deer after that same day. I now just wait till first light that I can see enough to determine the type of deer (size,sex) an have killed many with this method. This works especially on morning hunts, not as often on evening hunts, but has happened. Like my deceased old hunting buddy used to say "you never know when your gonna see a deer".
Just last season my son was hunting with me, he went out to the other side of property, soybean field, while I stayed back an walked into the small woods behind the landowner house. I had just got set up after he had left the field when a big doe walked into the woods between us. He never saw her, but I did! I had my White .451 S91, he had the .504 S91.
I shot her just as he got to his stand he told me later. I found her and was dressing her out when he came dragging a 4 point buck. I hadn't heard his shot. First time we have double killed on that farm. Fun part of hunting, you just never know...

Ya, you flatlanders. lol

I hunt a ridge in river bottom country that's about 400 feet of vertical rise from the owners yard where I park. I have to hike up a series of switchbacks so deer encountered along the way know I am coming from walking noise and wind activity along the way. There is no way around it without coming in from the top which is a real precarious hike and goes smack thru the area we don't want to disturb. I have on occasion watched thru the trees above and ahead of me to see deer moving up the trails ahead that I won't be to for ten minutes and no chance of a shot whatever thru the trees. Too dense to even think about shooting.

This is the system I use with my Optima. It rides over the top of the hunting coat nicely and I can get to the pistol "right now" when needed. My holster's cover flap velcros on and off so when I am actually do a still hunt I remove it and leave it in the stand. I tried the factory sling apparatus and that didn't cut it so I tried the sling with double studs and wasn't too pleased with it either. Honestly I have only twice come across an opportunity to shoot in all my years in the woods while walking to the stand and even with a rifle its not exactly the handiest of times to be slinging lead as I usually have my other hand occupied with something else. The holster option keeps the gun dry if its wet weather and helps keep from snagging and hanging up on twigs and branches.

This is what I have been envisioning using when I get my Optima V2 back from DOC White & LR Customs.

Are these the holsters made by Uncle Mike's, or is there another company I should look at?

Thanks

I check to see if I can find a tag on mine that gives the name. I ordered mine on the internet for about $30.00

Unlce Mikes made one for the contender super 14. I cannot get my hands on mine. I looked on the Uncle Mike website and it appears discontinued. I found several on ebay and they dont look like they will work with a scope. Seems like I had something that did work with a scope, but I cannot remember for sure. This one is Part Number 9313 or 9213 , size 13

I am trying very hard to remember, I may have used this with the 410 shot barrel. As I am typing, I am trying very hard to remember. I cut a holster out for the scope and did some sewing. Was that one of these or something else? Ok, maybe someone can comment on the size 13, I wish I could say more.

Here is a link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncle-Mike...162469?hash=item262ad1fe65:g:ReUAAOSwfOBdvLeu
It looks like the palm saver would also need to come off.

Because of the stubby pistol grip on the forearm, I am probably going to have to make it myself.

That is, if I can manage to rent a sewing machine with a traveling foot that will sew heavy fabrics.

It might just be easier to reach out to a custom seamstress in the outdoors field, and have it custom made.

What I am thinking is a right-hand, cross-draw holster in which the pistol is carried with the muzzle brake down towards the left hip. The brake would be in a reinforced (kydex?), enclosed pocket. The balance of the holster would be sort of like an open-top pocket/sleeve that would conform lightly to the pistols shape; allowing the shooter to lift the scoped pistol up, and out towards the right. With the type of velcro attachable/detachable cover that would act to protect the optics, and keep moisture and dirt out. Leaving only the pistol grip exposed to the elements.

And, with an adjustable shoulder harness, to include a wide padded shoulder strap (sliding?) like found on a back pack. As well as, a wrap-a-round, adjustable waist strap to keep the weight from flopping around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because of the stubby pistol grip on the forearm, I am probably going to have to make it myself.

That is, if I can manage to rent a sewing machine with a traveling foot that will sew heavy fabrics.

It might just be easier to reach out to a custom seamstress in the outdoors field, and have it custom made.

What I am thinking is a right-hand, cross-draw holster in which the pistol is carried with the muzzle brake down towards the left hip. The brake would be in a reinforced (kydex?), enclosed pocket. The balance of the holster would be sort of like an open-top pocket/sleeve that would conform lightly to the pistols shape; allowing the shooter to lift the scoped pistol up, and out towards the right. With the type of velcro attachable/detachable cover that would act to protect the optics, and keep moisture and dirt out. Leaving only the pistol grip exposed to the elements.

And, with an adjustable shoulder harness, to include a wide padded shoulder strap (sliding?) like found on a back pack. As well as, a wrap-a-round, adjustable waist strap to keep the weight from flopping around.
Something like this one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172534876992

That is a very impressive rig. I would sure hate to lay out $200 and later settle on a $3 nylon strap. That aside, getting a factory leather setup probably not any more than paying for custom stitching with nylon.

Keep in mind, when done hunting a slung pistol and be slung and carried under the coat. And walking in it can be carried in hand or hung loose outside or secure under a jacket.

That's exactly the concept I have in mind, except that the nylon pouch will not have to be so tightly fitting. Plus, I'm pretty sure I DON'T want the weight of the pistol to hang from my neck muscles as with the above holster.

Like fourbore said, maybe I'm over thinking this.

K.I.S.S.

There was a good reason that the Skunk Works, and other good design teams kept those four letters prominently posted. Humans have a tendency to over complicate things.

Maybe all I need is a 2-point sling.

"maybe I'm over thinking this. "....Bruce

Maybe all you really needed to do was get the gun and go shoot it. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Maybe all you really needed to do was get the gun and go shoot it. Sorry, couldn't help it.

That would have been nice, had I been in any position to do so. As it is, life will just have to play itself out the way GOD wants it to.

Back