Optima V2 Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
On Friday I took delivery of an CVA Optima V2 with scope package. This is my 15th year of using an inline for Missouri's late season. For the past seven years I have used a Thompson Center Impact. My only grip was the need to carry a 7/16" tool to remove the breech plug. Plus, the Optima was a great companion to my Optima V2 pistol.

Saturday. At the range I am loading my first round and the ramrod breaks. Fortunately, I was able to use the ramrod from another inline and continued to load the firearm. It was then I noticed the KonusPro scope was installed at a 30* angle. No good, back to the shop.

The rear rings were gorilla tight, the front rings were not even finger tight. I also noticed marks that indicated the scope was manhandled not mounted. After reinstalling the scope it was back to the range.

4" patterns were the best I could do. Given my son (who would use my Thompson Center) and I were going on the last hunt of the season, I opted to take a blind that was used for archery, while my son took the rifle blind. Sunday night didn't see any shooter deer, but we were back in the stands Monday morning. It was very warm (for January) and foggy. Six deer came into the plot at about 50 yards, but I could not see if any had antlers (it was that foggy). When I tried to scope the deer, I noticed the KonusPro was fogged up internally, thus ending the hunt.

I am withholding final judgment on the poor grouping until a new scope is mounted. I emailed CVA on Saturday about the ramrod and received an email this morning that a new one is "in the mail." Good customer service. I have notified them about the scope issue, and will keep readers informed on what happens.

I wonder if the labor issues mean CVA is having a hard time getting skilled labor. This gun definitely should not have passed quality control, and is not up to the high standard of my CVA pistol. IMG_1886.jpegIMG_1893.jpegIMG_1892.jpeg

While you are replacing the scope, go ahead an loctite the scope base screws. CVA doesn't do that! Will save you in the long run.. I have a 2013 Optima V2 rifle. My Konus scope started shooting to the left couple inches, but haven't been able to get it to the range to get it back on. Killed four deer so far.

I wouldn't depend on a rifle with a scope mounted on it from the factory to be properly set up out of the box. My guess is they quickly place them on the scoped rifle packages and ship them out. I'm not familiar with that particular scope or base, but would think if they are somewhat decent you should be able to get it to where you need it by properly installing the base and scope yourself. Good luck.

I bought a Remington rifle/scope package that had a loose base. It happens but a person should still take it upon himself to be certain things are tight. My Accura came with a Konus scope that I gave to a friend for his air rifle and then found the scope base screws, while not loose, not tight. A little blue Loc-tite solved that problem and every screw on the rings got the same Loc-tite before I torqued the screws when I mounted the scope.

While it would be nice if we could just take things like tight screws for granted, we cannot. Honestly every screw on a new gun should be check first thing and certainly before sighting it in.

I found on my CVA Accura that the scope base came loose after 2 range sessions. Also the rings don’t work well even when torqued, my scope was sliding around from the recoil.

I just installed some good hardware and hope to see my groups shrink some. If they don’t I’m going to swap out the scope next.

CVA referred me to Konus. I have submitted a warranty claim, and will keep the forum updated. While I generally use only Leupold scopes, I am bought the package as the in-line is only used for a limited season. If I can't get good service from the scope, I will upgrade to a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9X40 MZ.

Pretty sure Konus claims a lifetime warranty. Curious to see how it goes for you.

I'm in the same boat, if I cant get this scope to group well and hold zero it's going by by. I shoot about twice a month and don't want to fuss with it.

This is the last time I buy a gun that comes with a scope from the factory.

Pretty sure Konus claims a lifetime warranty. Curious to see how it goes for you.

I'm in the same boat, if I cant get this scope to group well and hold zero it's going by by. I shoot about twice a month and don't want to fuss with it.

This is the last time I buy a gun that comes with a scope from the factory.
That's one of the reasons I bought the Optima with open sights; I didn't want to depend on a scope that comes with the rifle. I figured if I do need a scope down the line, I'll get one of my choosing, plus the 3-9 is more magnification than I would need for where I hunt.

I bought the gun, had it converted, and then purchased a Konus separately (I had a Leupold Rifleman 3x9 but wanted illuminated) to put on it with better rings and base after the first ones slipped under really high recoil loads that were recommended. I had to use them that first season, no time to experiment. Reduced the loads to reasonable this year and its been fine. I don't have a premium scope on any gun I own. I don't see the need. I am hunting Whitetails in rural America not exotic animals in extreme places with a high recoil cannon. I understand wanting those high priced custom guns and adorning them with incredible glass with foreign(or military) sounding names. Some people pay more for their rings then I did for this scope...and some people actually need them for their type of hunting....But they are overkill for the masses just trying to shoot a deer in a field. Buy what you are comfortable with, the worst scope is better then peeps or irons for old eyes. Or young bad eyes, etc.

I've learned that the rings and base are the thing to invest in. As far as scopes go, I now look for made in the USA at a reasonable price with a solid warranty. At this point I don't even have a place to shoot past 200 yards so I don't need a lot of bells and whistles

I've learned that the rings and base are the thing to invest in. As far as scopes go, I now look for made in the USA at a reasonable price with a solid warranty. At this point I don't even have a place to shoot past 200 yards so I don't need a lot of bells and whistles
Agree. I think putting the effort into properly installing a rail and/or scope rings goes a long way too. A bad install can take a great scope and make it appear to be crap, as a good install can take a mediocre scope and make it appear to be top of the line. A junk scope probably will always be junk.

As for quality at a decent price and warranty, I like Vortex scopes. They serve my purpose as I'm not shooting out crazy distances. I have a Crossfire II on a rifle with the pro series rings that I got at a great price.

Agree. I think putting the effort into properly installing a rail and/or scope rings goes a long way too. A bad install can take a great scope and make it appear to be crap, as a good install can take a mediocre scope and make it appear to be top of the line.

What’s interesting is I spoke to two high end manufacturers that said they dont recommend lapping rings or bedding bases.

I guess a poor fit due to a poorly machined action would be a different story for bedding a rail, but apparently stuff is machined to a very high tolerance these days and the hand fitting is no longer needed

What’s interesting is I spoke to two high end manufacturers that said they dont recommend lapping rings or bedding bases.

I guess a poor fit due to a poorly machined action would be a different story for bedding a rail, but apparently stuff is machined to a very high tolerance these days and the hand fitting is no longer needed
True, the point I was making is that a lot of people just plop the rail, rings and scope on without checking anything first.

When I lapped the rings I have, it was obvious that it had high points on them, so I lapped away.

Conveniently enough, Midway has a 40% sale on select Athlon scopes. I'm looking for a 1-4, which they have for 119, down from 199. Gets good reviews. I was holding out for a Vortex Crossfire II on sale, but I may bight on the Athlon.

Yeah, I got a couple of them. No better then my Simmons, Weaver, Tasco, Konus......I don't subject mine to much abuse. A couple .270 Win, a .308 Win, a .300 Savage.....my Scout is probably the most stout recoil I have. I don't use the rifles anymore as I moved to Tenn. and it is near impossible to find a safe place to hunt. And there is a house everywhere. Good bow country but then permission.......

If you are getting a 4" group after getting the scope situation resolved you may have a problem. My Optima is good for at least 2" groups all day long. And that is with T/C Cheapshots and BH 209 @77 gr, 777ff @80gr., and home rolled Black @80gr.
Konus should take care of you. If possible use a torque wrench and blue locktite on the base when putting them on erring on the light side. I don't trust the screw hardness.

Latest posts

Back