Optima v2 sight in...finally

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotts98rt

Reaction score
Like title says, finally got around to really dialing in the v2. Stole the recipe from a couple others, 90 gr. By volume bh209 green crush rib with a 240 gr. XTP bullet. Recoil was stout with a small red dot on it. Led to a short range session. Carpel tunnel was acting up after a bit. Final group was 3 shots in a half inch at 58 yards. Dad could not hear me say stop at 50. Lol. Hopefully I can get a couple more does as I'm out of buck tags....

That's a great 50 yard group, but it would definitely such having CT with that load. When I shot the 240 grain xtps I was good for about 12 shots before I started to anticipate the recoil and that's not good.

After 5 I thought I should have put the pistol scope on it for added weight.

That load does have a some snap to it. It'll do you well on whitetail though. Surprisingly, the 225 gr Barnes XPB with the same powder charge is a bit more pleasant to shoot.

I'm burning 70 grains by volume of Swiss 3f powder in my V2 pistol.
After 4 or 5 shots, I need to wear gloves to keep from getting a blister in the palm of my hand.

Has anyone tried 200gr xtp with 90gr by volume. I'm going to try it as everything I have ever had shoot the 200-240gr. Xtp in the same hole. Recoil should be milder.

I was going to give the 200 grainer a try but just never got around to ordering them. I think they're sort of hard to find right now. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

I found some Traditions Smackdown bullets in 200 grains last year at Walmart for cheap.
They shot pretty well but not really tight groups at 50 yards. Maybe just my gun. The Hornady PA conicals seem to be the best shooters I found so far.

Recoil was stout with a small red dot on it. Led to a short range session.

I tried a red dot [2.5 moa] thinking it may be an easier way to acquire the target than the scope and had trouble with fuzziness on the target. I could get the pistol sighted but the group at 50 yards was never really as good as I thought it could be so I put the scope back on and have never looked back. Target acquisition was petty grumbling on my part. But the added weight of the scope really does little to help in the recoil department.

deermanok and Scott....
I've heard some thoughts that handle design might help with recoil while using heavy charges/bullets in the CVA V2 pistol, but I have owned two of the Traditions Vortex in-line pistols that maxed out at 70 grain charges and can tell you straight away that they were downright uncomfortable to shoot heavily loaded. Take an old nylon and ball it up and rub it all over the handle. If it snags, note the location and use some 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper and very lightly touch the area up. Even a very tiny area that's sharp or pointy can raise discomfort when shooting. I found two such spots on my grips and touched them up with the fine sandpaper and it makes a huge difference in shooting comfort.

Could be, I first notice it in the web of my hand. Between thumb and trigger finger. My gun is smooth, might be because it's camo. I can tolerate it for the rest of the season.

Has anyone tried 200gr xtp with 90gr by volume. I'm going to try it as everything I have ever had shoot the 200-240gr. Xtp in the same hole. Recoil should be milder.
I just shot some 200grn Shockwaves yesterday on 70grn volume BH209. Much better for me out to 50yds. I just order some 180 XTPs from harvester and some CrushRib sabots to use with them. I didnt even know they made a 180XTP.

I found some Traditions Smackdown bullets in 200 grains last year at Walmart for cheap.
They shot pretty well but not really tight groups at 50 yards. Maybe just my gun. The Hornady PA conicals seem to be the best shooters I found so far.
Yes! The Hornady PA conicals are one of the most accurate bullets in all of my muzzleloaders. From slow twist flints to my inlines. I wish I could find.a.mould identical to that bullet

When I had my Optima pistol my biggest grip was the grips on it, i took a dremel tool and ground down the stippling on grip and rounded off all the sharp edges but even after all that and it was better it still ate my hand up after a few shots.. that was the main reason i sold it plus the fact that my homemade pistols handle the recoil alot better and are just accurate as the Optima was.

Back