Optima V2 with CVA nylon case

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourbore

Reaction score
I decided to try out the CVA brand nylon case for my new Optima V2. It hold the pistol and scope with room to spare. The large zippered pouch will carry a lot of shooting paraphernalia. I can never have to much storage, this will more than handle all the Optima specific stuff. Quality seems fine. I dont know about a lifetime. I think it should last my lifetime. The zippers look ok. I think a very fair value at $30. The logo is a nice detail.

I know folks here enjoy pictures and I appeciate the forum providing the free photo hosting. Here you go:

Attachments

• Optima_case (1).JPG
    Optima_case (1).JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Optima_case (2).JPG
    Optima_case (2).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 16
I almost bought one of those but really wanted something a tad bit more protective so I went with the four pistol case I've shown and did a thin foam cut-out to surround the components of the gun taken down.

The CVA zippered cases look nice though. Is it well padded or just so-so? I could see one of those for carrying the gun from home to the hunting area and not messing with assembly in the near dark when I get there.

It is thin on the padding. I would not place it on the hard deck of a pickup with a cab. It rides well with No1 dog in the back of the SUV. It would be fine on the carpet floor in the rear. Not good if someone stepped on it! Bad news if dropped. On the other hand, a hard case takes a lot more room. It looks like it could be 'technically' considered locked using the zipper loops and padlock if that is a state transport requirement.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed comments 4bore. I think I'll order on just for hunting. In looking at the pictures you have of the case I think I can get my holstered pistol in there for the trip from home to the woods, but if the holster doesn't let it fit the holster will ride outside the case. I get nervous about dropping the fore end screw in the poor light and not being able to find it. That would really not be good if all I took on a morning hunt was the pistol.

I have a couple of these CVA cases for my CVA Scout center fire pistols. The Scouts with scopes fit with enough room to spare. I agree the padding is a bit on the light side. These cases work ok for a short trip on the atv, with the cases in the atv storage box. I'll use one for my Optima muzzle loader pistol as well.

I worry about the ATV ride, too. I don’t have a good box on my 4 wheeler. I’m torn between getting one or, since I wear a small backpack anyway, getting a bigger pack that will hold the pistol and all the items I normally carry. This Bergara pack looks good, it I can’t tell what it’s dimensions are:

https://bergara.bpishopping.com/bergara-daypack.html

I looked at those when I purchased my Optima pistol. I ended up buying a Boyt Thompson Contender case for it instead. Heavy canvas construction, pretty good padding for a soft side case and a life time warranty. It doesn't have an exterior pocket but I didn't view having an exterior pocket as a priority.

Thompson Contender Case - Boyt Harness Company

That Boyt looks nice. Now I may have to change directions for a soft side. How much room is there inside end to end with Optima Chris?

That Boyt looks nice. Now I may have to change directions for a soft side. How much room is there inside end to end with Optima Chris?
It's a good fit for the pistol with some room on each end. When I get home later this evening, I'll take a picture for comparison. The interior is 20 inches from side to side.

Thanks Chris. I was wondering if the holstered pistol would ride inside that Boyt case. I really like the looks of it and the description the link gives. Its not super important that the holstered gun will fit it as the holster can just ride along side between home and the hill. Still, I like a well protected gun.

Thanks Chris. I was wondering if the holstered pistol would ride inside that Boyt case. I really like the looks of it and the description the link gives. Its not super important that the holstered gun will fit it as the holster can just ride along side between home and the hill. Still, I like a well protected gun.
Here's a couple of pics Tom. The Boyt case fits the unholstered pistol almost perfectly. With the holster, it's just a tad to large to be able to get it zipped closed. I tried this morning.

Attachments

• 20200520_081456.jpg
    20200520_081456.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200520_081510.jpg
    20200520_081510.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 16
Thanks Chris. I think I'll order this case. I like the looks of the interior and especially like how the gun doesn't have a ton of room to slide around. The hard side will still carry the gun if I am traveling, say, to the cabin where it could likely be packed in with other things and could get bumped around.

Chris....maybe you've mentioned it before, but what scope is that on your pistol?

Chris....maybe you've mentioned it before, but what scope is that on your pistol?
It's a 2x20 Nikon Force xr. Just a touch of magnification with the nikoplex crosshair pattern.

I have the CVA case but wish I had bought the Boyt. I have a smaller version of the Boyt for one of my
S&Ws. It’s very nice with soft flannel and tough canvas exterior. The padding could be thicker but the canvas
makes up for it.
The CVA has a sort of cordura interior, fine for a stainless gun but I’d never but a blue one in there.
Oddly the accessories pocket is lined with with much softer material. The skeleton stock I’m working on for my Optima pistol fits in there, so it works for me.
Go with the Boyt. I might still.

Latest posts

Back