Optima versus Optima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
I am unfamiliar with the original Optimas. Do they have a breech plug similar to the V2? Do they have a breech plug designed for BH 209?

You had a socket head on the older CVA’s. You had to use a tool to take it out. No CVA I know of has ever had a bh209 breech plug.

newold.jpg

The old CVA plug to the right. Some of the time it ignited Blackhorn much the same as the new plug, the QRBP on the left. Western Powders provided a QRBP that would reliably ignite Blackhorn every time, but never did provide a plug for the older rifles making them reliable for Blackhorn. Rifles using the new Western Powders QRBP burn Blackhorn just fine. Strange, CVA never made a plug for the older rifles that would reliably ignite Blackhorn. All these years since the introduction of Blackhorn, folks have been sending me dinero to modify the old plug so for to be reliable burning Blackhorn. Thousands of dollars.................strange 'eh?

oldchamber1.jpg

oldchamber2.jpg

Last edited:
Back