Ordering an Accurate Bullet Mold (How to)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you could use bullets specifically designed for checks but all the molds for 45 I had were all plain base so I improvised.
Yup theres a reason ,if you cast you can(up the BHN )but it too has limitations . My C Sharps 1874 45/70 would not know what a GC is for . Go on BACO site and you cant find many GC molds ,reason being @ 1500 FPS and under there is no need ,what you need is better sights to compensate for bullet drop . You can dress it up but a bore demensioned bullet does not travel fast ,it gets there when it gets there at ridicules yardage if you have the equipment and the experence/Ed

Last edited:
Yup theres a reason ,if you cast you can(up the BHN )but it too has limitations . My C Sharps 1874 45/70 would not know what a GC is for . Go on BACO site and you cant find many GC molds ,reason being @ 1500 FPS and under there is no need ,what you need is better sights to compensate for bullet drop . You can dress it up but a bore demensioned bullet does not travel fast ,it gets there when it gets there at ridicules yardage if you have the equipment and the experence/Ed
I’m just beginning to use Lewis’ secret not so secret sauce to prevent leading. So far, in an Old Army notorious for leading it’s working. Right at 1000 fps so it’s not much of a test but the bore isn’t holding lead. Next up, a .40 caliber 300 grain bullet. I’ll start @1300 and work up.

If you want a gas check on your mold just ask Tom (Accurate Molds) to design your mold to include one.
I am thinking about getting another one from him myself for my new Peregrine and it will have the gas check installed
Just shoot him a e-mail or contact him through his site and give him the mold # and ask if he can include 1 with a gas check
I have had 2 REAL molds from Tom 1 for a 50 I had and 1 for my 54 that I still have they shoot very accurately

I thought i would bring this back up, with an added picture. I get asked this Question a lot. Folks aren’t exactly sure how to go about ordering, and getting what they want? A bullet mold is fairly spendy, you want to make sure and get it right, if you follow these instructions you will :lewis:

Here We Go: I just copied Accurate Molds Tolerances here, and added .452 as example. Make sure you Read and understand this!

I want an "as cast" diameter as close as I can get to .452".

I have a diameter tolerance window of .002" for my molds.
When ordering a diameter such as .452", you can select:

• Positive tolerance (+.002/-.000) means the diameter will be AT LEAST .452" But could be as much as .454
  • Negative tolerance (+.000/-.002) means the diameter will be AT MOST .452" but could be as small as .450
  • Centered tolerance (+/- .001) means as close as possible to .452" Could be .451, .452, .453

Positive tolerance is usually desirable for driving bands.
Negative tolerance is usually best for bore ride noses or any application where a certain diameter cannot be exceeded and a sizing die won't be used on that portion of the bullet.
Centered tolerance might be desirable when powder coating, and tapered designs.

Using "Special Notes" on the online order form, you can refine your diameter request for bore ride, body diameter, whatever, to the 4th decimal place. Ordering to the half thousandth does not ensure precision to the half thousandth, it only helps you communicate the desired diameter range within that .002" window.

My mold cavities are actually turned to +/-.0001" tolerance, but I cannot guarantee resultant casting tolerance closer than .002" because of casting variables such as pour technique and temperature, mold block temperature, purity of alloy, etc.

When you get to the Tolerance Part, you Put the Diameter in that you KNOW you need to have. There is a “Drop down“ Bar next to that, When Click on it, you will see the 3 options. The Top option is PLUS Tolerance, the middle option is CENTERED Tolerance, and the Bottom option is NEGATIVE Tolerance

For example: Here you can see i am ordering .452 Diameter, using the PLUS Tolerance Option
3fL2wQY.jpg
I thought i would bring this back up, with an added picture. I get asked this Question a lot. Folks aren’t exactly sure how to go about ordering, and getting what they want? A bullet mold is fairly spendy, you want to make sure and get it right, if you follow these instructions you will :lewis:

Here We Go: I just copied Accurate Molds Tolerances here, and added .452 as example. Make sure you Read and understand this!

I want an "as cast" diameter as close as I can get to .452".

I have a diameter tolerance window of .002" for my molds.
When ordering a diameter such as .452", you can select:

• Positive tolerance (+.002/-.000) means the diameter will be AT LEAST .452" But could be as much as .454
  • Negative tolerance (+.000/-.002) means the diameter will be AT MOST .452" but could be as small as .450
  • Centered tolerance (+/- .001) means as close as possible to .452" Could be .451, .452, .453

Positive tolerance is usually desirable for driving bands.
Negative tolerance is usually best for bore ride noses or any application where a certain diameter cannot be exceeded and a sizing die won't be used on that portion of the bullet.
Centered tolerance might be desirable when powder coating, and tapered designs.

Using "Special Notes" on the online order form, you can refine your diameter request for bore ride, body diameter, whatever, to the 4th decimal place. Ordering to the half thousandth does not ensure precision to the half thousandth, it only helps you communicate the desired diameter range within that .002" window.

My mold cavities are actually turned to +/-.0001" tolerance, but I cannot guarantee resultant casting tolerance closer than .002" because of casting variables such as pour technique and temperature, mold block temperature, purity of alloy, etc.

When you get to the Tolerance Part, you Put the Diameter in that you KNOW you need to have. There is a “Drop down“ Bar next to that, When Click on it, you will see the 3 options. The Top option is PLUS Tolerance, the middle option is CENTERED Tolerance, and the Bottom option is NEGATIVE Tolerance

For example: Here you can see i am ordering .452 Diameter, using the PLUS Tolerance Option
3fL2wQY.jpg

AWESOME Stuff!! For Target i prefer my Bullets to “Bore/Land Ride” I size them so they just “Kiss” the Rifling on the Way down, My Thumb and index Finger on the Range Rod is all that’s needed to push them Down.

For a Hunting Bullet i prefer a Much Snugger Fit, I want to know that my Bullet will stay seated firmly on the Powder Charge, a good Rule of Thumb is .002 Over Bore Diameter with a Pure Lead Bullet, .001 over with 1-40 Alloy. This really depends on the Bore? They are each a Bit different in their Needs. My advice is to Spend the Money and buy an Adjustable Sizer Die, This way you can size whatever you want/need? They are expensive, But WELL worth it :lewis: I chose Hankins Due to them being Stainless Steel, I lube my Lead Bullets before Sizing (IMPORTANT that you do this!) I use RCBS Case Lube 2 and an RCBS Lube Pad (Same as you use for Brass Cartridge Cases) RCBS Case Lube 2 is a Water base Lube, It is IMPORTANT that you clean the Die Thoroughly, and Lubricate with a Rust preventative (a good gun oil) Before Storing away. This is PRECISELY why i went with The Stainless Steel Hankins Adjustable Sizer, Stainless is less prone to Rust/Corrosion
Idaholewis
OK, if my bore measured .502 using machined gauges (like the one shown in the picture here) and I am not using any sabots would your recommendation would be a .501 mold +.002/-.000? The rifle is a Doc White Whitetail and the .502 bore slug slid in nicely, no wobble at all once in the barrel. Slid all the way down just by gravity so I’m thinking .501 mold, casting either pure lead or 2% tin and lead for my bullets. Probably will order an adjustable sizer from Swing Lock.
PS- the .540 slug was for my new flinter not the Whitetail. Just saving powder and lead narrowing down ball and patch choices before I went to the range….
Foolishhand

Attachments

• 0690ACE5-2B55-453A-9915-AB9D08307321.jpeg
    0690ACE5-2B55-453A-9915-AB9D08307321.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
On all of my Accurate molds, I ordered the bore size with the plus tolerance and then used my size die to get the perfect fit. So if you order it at .502 it won't come any smaller but will most likely be around .5035/.504. If you have the adjustable sizer you're all set. Decide what lead mix you will most likely use and order it for that mix. It makes a difference.

Great info, to be honest I have never considered Special Order or having the mold made if shooting were a living I can see where this is most desireable, squeezing the most from accuracy

Latest posts

Back