Ordering mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glambert

Reaction score
What one mold design from accurate moulds would you choose for 410,45, and 50 whites? What diam mould and sizing dies would you go with for each?

Depends on what weight bullet you want to shoot. For the 45 I have their 45-465M mold.
Another mold I have is the Lyman 330gr HP Gould mold. With pure lead it casts bullets around 346gr. It has become s favorite of mine.

Know your Bore Diameter, Buy your Mold on a Plus Tolerance so that it Drops a Little Big, Get yourself a Bullet Sizer Die for a Custom Fit to Your Bore :lewis: It might sound complicated? But it’s NOT! If you are unsure, and would like some Examples i will gladly Explain this better

So one would be better ordering a .510 bullet diam and the correct size dies so if you got another gun with a different dia. This would be assuming that sizing down does no damage to accuracy.

IMO that would be too large. When it comes to sizing, less is definitely better. Some competitive shooters I have talked to would prefer have a mold that drops the bullets so they can shoot as cast. If you can get your mold made so it would cast at .506 or so the bullets would require less sizing and should not be too small for any of the .504 Whites, at least not the ones I've been around.

I agree with Flounder on the .506, I am not Familiar with the White Bores? Aren’t they a True .504? If so, a .506 Would be a GOOD Way to go.

Accurate Bullet molds is my Favorite outfit, his Steel Molds are my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE Bullet Molds!! I just copied Accurate's Tolerances here, and added .506 as example. Make sure you Read and understand this!

I want an "as cast" diameter as close as I can get to .506".

I have a diameter tolerance window of .002" for my molds.
When ordering a diameter such as .506", you can select:

• Positive tolerance (+.002/-.000) means the diameter will be AT LEAST .506" But could be as much as .508
  • Negative tolerance (+.000/-.002) means the diameter will be AT MOST .506" but could be as small as .504
  • Centered tolerance (+/- .001) means as close as possible to .506" Could be .505, .506, .507

Positive tolerance is usually desirable for driving bands.
Negative tolerance is usually best for bore ride noses or any application where a certain diameter cannot be exceeded and a sizing die won't be used on that portion of the bullet.
Centered tolerance might be desirable when powder coating, and tapered designs.

Using "Special Notes" on the online order form, you can refine your diameter request for bore ride, body diameter, whatever, to the 4th decimal place. Ordering to the half thousandth does not ensure precision to the half thousandth, it only helps you communicate the desired diameter range within that .002" window.

My mold cavities are actually turned to +/-.0001" tolerance, but I cannot guarantee resultant casting tolerance closer than .002" because of casting variables such as pour technique and temperature, mold block temperature, purity of alloy, etc.

I agree with Flounder on the .506, I am not Familiar with the White Bores? Aren’t they a True .504? If so, a .506 Would be a GOOD Way to go.

Accurate Bullet molds is my Favorite outfit, his Steel Molds are my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE Bullet Molds!! I just copied Accurate's Tolerances here, and added .506 as example. Make sure you Read and understand this!

I want an "as cast" diameter as close as I can get to .506".

I have a diameter tolerance window of .002" for my molds.
When ordering a diameter such as .506", you can select:

• Positive tolerance (+.002/-.000) means the diameter will be AT LEAST .506" But could be as much as .508
  • Negative tolerance (+.000/-.002) means the diameter will be AT MOST .506" but could be as small as .504
  • Centered tolerance (+/- .001) means as close as possible to .506" Could be .505, .506, .507

Positive tolerance is usually desirable for driving bands.
Negative tolerance is usually best for bore ride noses or any application where a certain diameter cannot be exceeded and a sizing die won't be used on that portion of the bullet.
Centered tolerance might be desirable when powder coating, and tapered designs.

Using "Special Notes" on the online order form, you can refine your diameter request for bore ride, body diameter, whatever, to the 4th decimal place. Ordering to the half thousandth does not ensure precision to the half thousandth, it only helps you communicate the desired diameter range within that .002" window.

My mold cavities are actually turned to +/-.0001" tolerance, but I cannot guarantee resultant casting tolerance closer than .002" because of casting variables such as pour technique and temperature, mold block temperature, purity of alloy, etc.
You just said a mouthfull right there !!! We BETTER let This one Soak In . Absolutely Fabulous Lewis !!!!!! :thumb:

In fact im downloading this !!!!

I agree with Both Art and Lew on increasing the diameter to .506. Then all you have to do is order a Lee sizing die and size them down to what you need. I know most White 50 Caliber ML's had a bore of .504. I know some White Ultra Mag's their bore seemed to be a little larger and like bullets that were sized to 504.5. Better to have the mold cut a little larger where you can resize them down to fit your bbl.

On ebay or pawn shops you sometimes see Small Hole Gauges for sale . Machinist tools . With these tools you can Easily measure the land to land of most any popular bore size whether home or at a dealer or a show . They have a "ball" end and a knob to adjust the fit as each hemisphere expands or contracts . Bring along a micrometer or dial caliper and you got ACCURATE measurements . Apply as needed........

Much more versitile than slugging .

Last edited:
On ebay or pawn shops you sometimes see Small Hole Gauges for sale . Machinist tools . With these tools you can Easily measure the land to land of most any popular bore size whether home or at a dealer or a show . They have a "ball" end and a knob to adjust the fit as each hemisphere expands or contracts . Bring along a micrometer or dial caliper and you got ACCURATE measurements . Apply as needed........

Much more versitile than slugging .
It IS hard to measure a slugged bore bullet. The portion that rides the lands is smaller than the portion that rides the grooves and you can get several different measurements around it. I have several different home made sizing dies, I made on the lathe that I punch my bullets through. I bore them .001 under, then sand until they drop a bullet exactly the size I want. I want them to fit so that they push in a clean barrel with light thumb pressure, insuring they will be slightly snug on a fouled bore, but push down with light to moderate pressure on the ramrod. Three of my .504 Whites are all different. My Whitetail is right at .504, one of my Super 91”s is .about 5055 and the other Super 91 is about .5075!!!! Notice I said about, I’m adding .0005” to the size of bullet that fits the barrel how I like it. My Whitetail is blued, my two Super’s stainless. My .451 seems to be dead on .451. I have one other Whitetail that I purchased on Gunbroker that I haven’t really played with much yet. It doesn’t shoot .503 NoExcuses worth a dang, but they seem to load right, so I’m guessing it’s pretty close to .504. I’m guessing the breech plug is toast. I have seen a huge change in accuracy by changing out the plugs.
I can send you some bullets if you want to try them to see how they fit. I have a mold that drops at .508. I don’t have an adjustable sizing die, so I can’t comment on how much range they have. I agree with Lewis and others though, drop the bullet pretty close to what you want, and size it down .001-.002” to fit your barrel exactly how you want. My .508’s to get them to shoot out of my .504, I push through the .507, then the .505, and finally the .5035 and they look and shoot good.
I cut most of my molds with a .025-.030” deep lube groove so taking a couple thou off the size doesn’t really affect them much.

Latest posts

Back