original barnes vs. x bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encoreguy

Reaction score
I just ordered some of the original barnes 45-70 bullets in 300 grain since Randy has had such good luck with them in his Savage. However I noticed that the .458 300 grain x-bullet has a higher b.c. What would be wrong with shooting those? My .50 Encore shoots 300 grain .45 deadcenter and QT's very well but I want to try the Barnes originals. I am not sure about the properties of the x-bullet and how they would work at blackpowder (777) velocities. Any thoughts?

encoreguy said:
My .50 Encore shoots 300 grain .45 deadcenter and QT's very well but I want to try the Barnes originals. I am not sure about the properties of the x-bullet and how they would work at blackpowder (777) velocities. Any thoughts?

My Encore shoots the .44/50 300grn DeadCenters very well. I'm not convinced the Barnes will expand near as well as the lead will? I've been doing alot of reading about these Barnes bullets. I'm not sold on them yet. Alot of people are using them. I cant wait to see some pics of exit wounds on game. Bullet recovery seems highly unlikely with the Barnes bullet. I do plan on trying some of the 175grn Barnes on some Deer this year out of my 777 guns.

I have not heard of anyone getting the 300 x-bullets to group yet. I know RW and Rifleman both tried. They both say they dont shoot!

Keep us updated on how the originals shoot in your Encore! I am curious how tight they fit in the T/C bore. I think the originals will be a very good hunting bullet!

My understanding with the .458 Originals is they need 1600fps and UP to reliably expand.

Wow :shock:

That sounds like alot for a lead-core bullet.

I think the spitfires are basically x-bullets and they tend to be undersized and loose in most bores. Many people have said that they had to knurl them so that they would not slip in the sabot. If the accuracy is there, I would rather have a bullet that stays together, even if it doesn't expand much, than a bullet that falls apart when it hits a bone.

encoreguy said:
I However I noticed that the .458 300 grain x-bullet has a higher b.c. What would be wrong with shooting those?

Nothing, if you can get them to group. I can't.

encoreguy said:
I would rather have a bullet that stays together, even if it doesn't expand much, than a bullet that falls apart when it hits a bone.

That's a very good point. Lead bullets are limited to selective shooting. Jacketed bullets are just aim and shoot right thru the shoulders. :)

Latest posts

Back