Original Colt 1849 Pocket Revolver.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Certus

Reaction score
Thought I would share a picture of my original Colt 1849 Pocket which now lives in a converted paint box with some replica accoutrements. I shoot reproduction muzzle loading revolvers, but always wanted at least one original example with the 1849 Colt being the only one I could afford at the time it was bought. I believe around 350,000 were made with the all matching Ser No on mine dating it to 1861.
A nicely proportioned little revolver with the 4" barrel being my favourite length for this particular model.

Mza7dmSl.jpg

Brian

Really nice. Do you ever take it to the range?
Hi,
I also recently acquired this original Remington New Model Navy which I now keep in an old cutlery case partitioned to accommodate the revolver and replica accoutrements. Both revolvers are in good enough condition to shoot, but would need to be added to my Firearm Certificate like any modern firearm and then used regularly for this to be legal here in the UK. I'm not sure I would want to risk harming them or put them through an exceptionally thorough clean after use for the few times I would shoot them.

MxM3IPbl.jpg

kzsfDV6l.jpg

Brian

Hi,
I also recently acquired this original Remington New Model Navy which I now keep in an old cutlery case partitioned to accommodate the revolver and replica accoutrements. Both revolvers are in good enough condition to shoot, but would need to be added to my Firearm Certificate like any modern firearm and then used regularly for this to be legal here in the UK. I'm not sure I would want to risk harming them or put them through an exceptionally thorough clean after use for the few times I would shoot them.

MxM3IPbl.jpg

kzsfDV6l.jpg

Brian
Nice revolvers, I also have one but it's a reproduction. Found it at a yard sale many years ago. I paid twenty dollars for it. I don't shoot it very much. Mostly sits in the safe.

Hi,

MxM3IPbl.jpg

kzsfDV6l.jpg

Brian
That's why I only buy reproductions. Originals are nice to have I guess, but if you don't want to shoot them, I'd go with a reproduction. Just my 2¢

That's why I only buy reproductions. Originals are nice to have I guess, but if you don't want to shoot them, I'd go with a reproduction. Just my 2¢

I'm not a serious collector and only acquired these original revolvers because as you rightly say, they are nice to own. I shoot my replica BP revolvers regularly, but it's also nice to own a piece of history and there is a great deal of pleasure to be had researching the origins of the reproduction models.
Brian

I'm not a serious collector and only acquired these original revolvers because as you rightly say, they are nice to own. I shoot my replica BP revolvers regularly, but it's also nice to own a piece of history and there is a great deal of pleasure to be had researching the origins of the reproduction models.
Brian
I used to get looks when I"d take my old Webleys out to shoot. People would say "I can't believe you are shooting and unaltered .455 Webley revolver, they are collectors items." And I'd say "IF I can't shoot it, I won't own it!" I'd also take my WW1 vintage #1 MK3 SMLEs out and put a 100 rds of reloads (backed off a bit to take it easier on the old girls) through them.

Even though I love Colt Walkers, I'd NEVER own an original (even if I could afford it) because I'd worry about hurting it by shooting it. And yes, it is nice to own a piece of history, but I wouldn't unless I would shoot it. But anyway, nice job on your find. :lewis:

What does something like that cost? Do you shoot it?

I plan to shoot it, but I have not yet... it will take me a year to clean and restore all these ones I just got (this happens to be one of the cleanest so far).

So just this past weekend, I stumbled onto the collection of a deceased collector, and I either way overpaid or got a deal... only time will tell!

I gave a few thousand for (literally) a laundry basket full of pistols, most of which had varying levels of corrosion (some surface rust, other actions are completely locked up). I am still going through and sorting the several dozen pistols, but there were a decent number of original black powder cap-and-ball revolvers from the mid-1800s... here is just a small sampling so far of Colt 1851 Navy .36, Colt 1860 Army .44, Colt 1849 Pocket .31, Colt 1862 Police .36, Allen & Thurber 1837 Pepperbox .32, and Hopkins & Allen Mfg Co 3rd Model Bacon .31...
Colt black powder revolvers.jpg

Latest posts

Back