Over powder wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacecars

Reaction score
Back when I had my .504 I never used an over powder wad but I was thinking about whether I need one in the .451 Super 91. Is there any advantage to using something like a vegetable wad? I have some .45 and .50 caliber size wads I used in a .45-100 and .50-90. Should I go with the .50 size to try it?

I always try with and without wads and let the rifle tell me what it likes. Some bullets shoot better with a wad and some without, sometimes wool sometimes veggie. jme

Back when I had my .504 I never used an over powder wad but I was thinking about whether I need one in the .451 Super 91. Is there any advantage to using something like a vegetable wad? I have some .45 and .50 caliber size wads I used in a .45-100 and .50-90. Should I go with the .50 size to try it?
Try a size over like Lewis suggests 54 for the 50 /50 for the 45 for plain base I have never had a wad hurt groups, the trick is to try them all (lubed/not /material felt /card /OJ container /egg carton there is a whole pile to try befor you run short on powder /lead /or? and don"t forget harbor Freight hole punches Wad are important and cheap to make ,just need to invest your time (the fun part) short on powder not so much /Ed

Try a ox yoke lubed felt wad one size over whatever caliber your shooting they definitely tighten your group size!

Latest posts

Back