over the counter hearing aids or amplifiers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the over the counter hearing devices.
I never hear deer approaching so I must always see them and that is a hinderance, any
feedback or recommendations would be appreciated on any of these devices

The Walkers Game ear buds and muffs are supposed to be really good have talked to several people who have used them and they really like them.. I'm thinking about getting a pair as I have the same problem and when I do hear them cant tell which direction they are coming from.

I have two sets of fitted hearing aids. The newest are super for hearing but I can't wear them in the tree because they pick up every little scratch and tick know to mankind and drive me crazy. The older model aids are less sensitive and those I will wear in the woods.... and if I lose one its not a huge deal.

On the store bought units....do not get mis-led thinking that they'll offer direction help with sounds. They gather sounds just like a hearing aid does, from all around. But they will help in hearing deer and turkeys moving near you.

walkers_75x62.gif

Walker's Game Ear® Digital HD X Game Ear
  • Increases natural hearing
  • Distortion-free sounds with less circuit noise
  • Protects hearing from muzzleblasts

These help me hear whilst hunting, and around the house. They also reduce muzzle blast some.

do any reduce gun blast or do they all magnify it
The problem with over the counter stuff, is that they amplify ALL sounds. Some do reduce muzzle blast.
Yes, I know its expensive, but you should have your hearing tested by an audiologist...… a good one.
All of the modern hearing aids made today are fully adjustable for each range in hearing, if adjusted properly by the audiologist, many sound ranges may be equal.
But.... one must realize that any sound range, once gone, are gone forever. Increasing the volume, just increases the volume of every other range. It can be rather unpleasant if they're adjusted wrong or poorly.
I've worn hearing aids for over 15yrs now and 5 different pairs. Due for an upgrade in April.

Had mine tested a couple years ago and they want me to put 5-6 grand in their product and I cant afford that. One guy I know that had them for a couple months was not thrilled with his

Had mine tested a couple years ago and they want me to put 5-6 grand in their product and I cant afford that. One guy I know that had them for a couple months was not thrilled with his

No, they're not cheap, I understand. However the change in one's quality of life is remarkable.
Most problems people have with hearing aids, is that they end up going someplace that just wants to sell hearing aids and not quality care. If they're not adjusted correctly and fit properly, one wouldn't be happy. I'm surprised at the number of people I know who've made the mistake of not having top quality care. One old boy I know well, ended up going to Miracle Ear for his hearing aids, and of course he wanted a "cheap" pair. He ended up completely unhappy and the hearing aids sat in a drawer for a couple years. I finally talked him into going to Hear USA. They made extreme adjustments to his hearing aids and last I knew, he's still wearing them. Good luck with your decision.

A friend of ours who is a retired audiologist showed me a result of a hearing test that he had done. It showed a loss somewhere in the mid-range. He said that there is no fix for this area yet. Mine shows a loss in the high frequency range. There is no cure for my low bank account reading to get mine! I saw something on a Sunday morning show on some technology that is coming our way which may make some types of hearing devices available in 2020 or thereabouts. Don't know much about them but it sounded promising.

I wear script hearing aids for bow season and when firearm season roles around i have molded wild ears which have different settings and noise cancellation when you shoot. I think i payed around 1100 bucks. Expensive yes but im glad i made the investment. They do take some getting use to because everything is amplified but i can hear the game. And im protecting what hearing i have left. Hope this helps.

Hi there derfhunter. I too went to try and all the game Hearing aid products, most were difficult to keep in my ear, made my ears sore and amplified so many sounds that they weren't very practical. Finally went and seen Costco. if you have an account there, they really have a good audio testing system and I bought about the best Hearing aids they head for like $1600. Also as things are a dang nuisance and I would suggest leaving them on if you're going to shoot a rifle, but my have a little button I can turn them off for whatever reason and whenever I want I can turn them back on. Mine are not the all in the ear type, but they go behind the ear with a little line then leads down to the earbud. They have a good choice of earbuds you can probably find one that doesn't irritate you. They have them for about half that price that I paid too, it just depends how far your hurry is shot and how good do you want to hear.
Squint

I’ve had good luck with Costco, too. And yes their prices have come down. They’re nice to wear hunting, not just because you can hear critters better, but they offer some protection from greater ear damage.

Latest posts

Back