Overthinking Bullet Choices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Reaction score
I do a lot more reading on here than posting, and from what I’ve gleaned here and on the other ML forum, I put way too much thought in what bullet to use for hunting deer. I guess you can say I’ve bought into the hype or fell prey to advertising, because I’ve spent a lot of money over the years on “premium” bullets (ie Parkers, Barnes, and Hornady). I see guys killing deer and even larger game with patched round balls and doing it efficiently. I recently used a inexpensive cast lead hollow point to kill a doe, and it put her down quick. This got me to thinking and reconsidering what I’ve been doing for the twenty years I’ve been hunting with a muzzleloader.

I’m still going to use saboted bullets in my in-lines, but I’m going to start experimenting with patched round balls in my Hawken.

I'm in the K.I.S.S. camp. Nothing wrong with a patched round ball. It's been a proven deer killer for a long, long time. Those simple lead conical bullets are good too.
I killed a deer last month with an old CVA mountain stalker rifle loaded with 80 grains of black powder and the 240 grain Hornady PA conical bullet. Don't get more simple than that.

I killed a doe today with a $.20 GT bullet and a $.20 MMP sabot. Sixth deer we killed with that combination since the start of last season. I have about 750 on hand and see no reason to regret the inventory. 4 of the 6 deer were pop and flop. Never moved a muscle. Previous to inlines I killed 40-50 deer with patched round ball. If I ever had a problem it was my fault not the bullet.

Shot placement, just as in self defense is more important than the bullet choice.

Here is a breakdown of handgun cartridges vs incapacitation by caliber. To me it's more about the shot because I don't think anyone believes a .32 is more powerful than a 9mm, but in the chart some smaller calibers do better than larger ones. It's all about what you have and how well you use it.

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Many a Deer have been dropped dead in their tracks by Thomson Cheap Shots or similar.

I love my Parkers and others but that cheap arse 350gr Gould HP in pure lead is so cheap, simple and totally deadly within 100 yards or so. You just cant argue with its ease of use and cost. They should be around $50/100 at Bullshop, sized, lubed, in pure lead and shipped. Combine that with only needing about 70gr of powder and you got a cheap load that hits like a freight train.

I've found things in life to be about setting and keeping 'sound' priorities. Realizing that if you have more than 1, 2 or maybe an occasional 3rd priority, you have no priorities... has been very helpful.

So with bullets I look at accuracy first. Have to be able to hit what you are aiming at where you want... whether is paper, steel, or meat. Then if its meat, the bullet needs to do the job.

Yes patched round balls did the job for years, but they were replaced/improved/supplemented by better bullets because the other bullets are well, better. Perhaps they cost more.... but what is your priority? Where is the balance between accuracy, terminal performance and cost? We each have to set our minds straight here. The big thing is it must be safe to even be considered... that's priority 0! And this is where advertising and cravings to have the newest/greatest/highest performance get folks to shell out more $...

I've found jacketed handgun bullets (in sabots) to meet my priorities of 1: Accuracy, 2: terminal performance 3: reasonable cost

It always seems folks compare expansion/terminal performance of any projectile to Hornady's XTP's... which are my go to hunting bullet, and seem to do well in my three priorities for my projectiles.

my .02 USD

Tom

So with bullets I look at accuracy first. Have to be able to hit what you are aiming at where you want... whether is paper, steel, or meat. Then if its meat, the bullet needs to do the job.

Where is the balance between accuracy, terminal performance and cost?

Tom

I have to pay over $50.00 for two deer tags. I am not going to quibble over the cost of the bullet as long as it's accurate and it does what it is designed to do when placed properly. I've used XTPs extensively until I switched to Barnes XPBs. Both are very accurate. Both provide excellent terminal performance. Cost is a moot issue.

Yep same here. In my NULA 50cal im 100% happy shooting the 225gr XPB but the Lehigh 230gr is just fine too if you cant find them. I still have not got a chance to try the Speer 260gr in the NULA but for less than $15/50 they sure look good.

I have to pay over $50.00 for two deer tags. I am not going to quibble over the cost of the bullet as long as it's accurate and it does what it is designed to do when placed properly. I've used XTPs extensively until I switched to Barnes XPBs. Both are very accurate. Both provide excellent terminal performance. Cost is a moot issue.
You make a great point. I’m paying $283/season (archery, muzzleloader, and rifle) for out of state deer licenses to hunt my own place here in Oklahoma, so you’re right. My bullets are about the cheapest part of the equation.

LOL, i dont shoot the Gould HPs just because they are cheap. I shootem mainly because the rifle likes them and they are simple to use. No short starter needed to load so its one less thing i need to carry with me. The vast majority on the times ive hunted i never get a good shot past 100 yards. I just dont need no fancy pointy bullets most of the time.

The last Fury bullets i got because its a 240gr 40. The BC didnt really meen nothing to me but the sectional density and bonded core did. Plus the price aint too terribly much more than a 200gr SST. Sure aint cheap but if i get a wild hair im confident i got a solid bullet i can shoot farther.

Come to Kalifornia, shoot NON-LEAD only when hunting, ANY hunting. Even pest hunting if you use a firearm - "defined as using an explosive propellant".
So I use the Barnes T-EZ, Snapbang turned me onto the T/C Cheapshots and they are the same POI as the Barnes. I would much prefer the Cheapshots.
Technically, unless I cast some bismuth, or find copper ball, I can't hunt with my sidelock here so it will just be targets for now.

Shot placement, just as in self defense is more important than the bullet choice.

Here is a breakdown of handgun cartridges vs incapacitation by caliber. To me it's more about the shot because I don't think anyone believes a .32 is more powerful than a 9mm, but in the chart some smaller calibers do better than larger ones. It's all about what you have and how well you use it.

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Many a Deer have been dropped dead in their tracks by Thomson Cheap Shots or similar.
Yep, I have been using the T/C cheap shot and they work great at the distances I hunt.

I was trained as a Biology teacher.

The lungs work on negative pressure, and will collapse and not work properly when a hole is made in the ribcage allowing air to enter from the outside.

No animal can walk far without Oxygen in their blood.

A hole in the lungs tends to produce massive blood loss.

The middle of the ribcage is always my target, because of the above principles of body function.

I have never lost a deer when I hit that target, no matter what kind of bullet I used.

Where would you try to put the spear, if you were an ancient hunter hunting a woolly mammoth, and you were using a sharp rock on the end of a stick as your weapon?

Deer was recently shot with 350 legend used Hornady xtp 170 grain. Deer dropped it was a less than stellar shot with a loose scope mount. Still anchored her though. Got the lungs and nicked the spine.

Just loaded some Barry's .45 for the bushmaster for target shooting. Loaded some monster 180 grain copper maker bullets for deer. Also some 147 grain xtp in 350 legend for the AR-15. Even did the last of my 30/06 thanks to some Winchester 760 powder

Muzzle loader also used those Barry's and I have makers .45 bullets for it. Both fit well in sabots for the cva wolf.

Latest posts

Back