Pacnor 45 barrel suddenly got a couple rough spots.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender6

Reaction score
A couple weeks before MZ season I shot my Savage w/Pacnor 45 and it loaded fine. About two week later when I loaded it a day before season to check I had to hammer down the bullet. There seemed to be a rough spot about 15 inches down. I clean with 50/50 alcohol and #9 between shots. For short term storage (3 days to 2 weeks) after I clean, I use Bore Scrubber to clean and it has a light rust protective in it. Load is 100 gr BH209 Full Size Bear Creek 245. This is an annealed all copper bullet and it shoots and performs great. I switched to HB sabots and 240 fury for the season and it shot great also. In fact I might stick with that load so I don’t have to mess with sizing.

Now after the season I used a Lyman borescope to take a picture of the bad spots. To me it looks like molten metal. Any Idea of what caused it and how I should try to smooth it out?

mbf90Fr.jpg
5nHj5uD.jpg

Tried a few things and have more info- Tried copper remover and Butch’s Bore shine. No evidence of blue on the patches. Also tried bore paste 20 -30 strokes, Neither seemed to help much.

I thought about full sizing a Barnes 275 and using some bore paste or fine compound.

I thought it looked like lead also, I haven't shot a lead bullet in several years out of this barrel.

Another Thought- I started using LOCTITE LB 8060 Silver grade Anti-Seize stick a couple years ago. You think some compound could have fused in the barrel?

It’s hard to tell, maybe? I use copper wool (chore girl scouring pad) wrapped around a copper bore brush to remove lead from revolver barrels. Good luck.

Another Thought- I started using LOCTITE LB 8060 Silver grade Anti-Seize stick a couple years ago. You think some compound could have fused in the barrel?
if you think it is loctite use some acetone on it or nail polish remover, acetone dissolves loctite

Update- Tried

About every kind of bore cleaner, I have some Bore Tech coming

200 strokes Copper scrub pad.

200 stoke UPS bore paste on a patch.

I took another bore cam picture. Doesn’t look like much changed.

Any Ideas? Or just more scrubbing?

NjlrUpf.jpg

When using the copper wool, wrap enough around the bore brush to a super tight fit, add more wool when the fit loosens up. The copper wool will not damage the barrel.

Hershel , thanks, it seems like l it might be lead and I don't have any experience with the copper wool. Looks like I just keep scrubbing.

You gotta get the "hunk" out first before those other methods will even have a chance to help . 3/8 or 7/16 aluminum rod and a small hammer looks to me to be your best options for that hunk removal . Wont hurt the much stronger steel barrel . Heat and pressure put that there probably so its not gonna come off easily .

Only other thing I can think might work is to heat that portion of barrel, using a heat gun.

You gotta get the "hunk" out first before those other methods will even have a chance to help . 3/8 or 7/16 aluminum rod and a small hammer looks to me to be your best options for that hunk removal . Wont hurt the much stronger steel barrel . Heat and pressure put that there probably so its not gonna come off easily .
If this scares you the next move is a LewisLead Remover tool . Target pistol guys use them to remove wadcutter lead build up . I domt know if their still made or in bussiness . Or a stainless bore brush -- tornado style or regular for a 28ga or 410 shotgun . Worked really well for shotgun slug bore leading with foster style slugs . About all that did work really . Youve got a friction weld tbere i believe . If the lewis tool is no longer made here is how to make similar in this order of assembly:
1) ramrod
2 )washer smaller than bore , brass
3) brass sink screen for faucet
4) appropriate smaller than bore rubber stopper ( like a bottle cork )
5 )another brass washer
6 )10/32 screw
Put together parts in this order on ramrod . Put ramrod hand hold first into bore . Just start lead remover into bore with screw a little loose . Pull into bore and adjust screw as needed for fit . Pull in 1 direction through barrel . Repeat as necessasary . :lewis:

Last edited:
Abandon that "anti-seize" with its metal powder . Get yourself the good stuff , Permatex Thread Sealant with ptfe . Far better !!!!

Just what DOES this got in it ?? If you shoot copper bullets it MUST be coming from it . The Fury was in a sabot .

Slideshow, thanks, I will try that. I have some 3/8 brass rod I can try first to knock done off. I have only shoot copper bullets last 3 years. I went to the Fury and sabot after this bump happened.

This is what happened the best of my knowledge. I shot the Muzzleloader end of November. Cleaned lightly. When I when to load in December, I had to hammer the bullet down when it got stuck. Either something happened last shot or something was in the barrel and when I hammered the last bullets down it created the bump. I am on vacation for two weeks. I will post follow up when I get back home. Thanks for the there suggestions. I was thinking of the same kind of suggestions but have never done anything like this.

you might have goughed the barrel. what kind of rod did you use to drive it down with

Latest posts

Back