Palmetto inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken

Reaction score
Does anyone know who built these rifles and their quality. I found one NIB for sale and didn't know Palmetto ever sold them. Thanks, Ken

They made a Ridge Runner and were imported by Century Arms, IIRC. Made in Italy by Palmetto Arms back in the early to mid-2000's. 2003 - 2004ish. Very cheap/inexpensive rifles. I think they came in. 50 cal, and .54 cal for sure.

They actually reminded me of the Italian Knight rifle that Knight imported back before the American Knight, except for the cocking lever.

Ridge-Runner-54-Cal-In-Line-Percussion-Muzzleloader-On-Sale_100691926_82756_9B5D0B0C40292344.jpg
Ridge-Runner-54-Cal-In-Line-Percussion-Muzzleloader-On-Sale_100691926_82756_27ADE8C41E9659B7.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of the RidgeRunners but not the original barrel. I got it from the GunWorks and they installed one of their Oregon Barrels on it in .32 caliber. The original barrel was .54 caliber. The Barrels are screwed onto the action. The Trigger in it is very similar to the Timney style Triggers used on the Knight MK 85. As a mater of fact I broke the safety lever on mine and took the Timney trigger out of my MK-95 spare rifle (Same Trigger in the MK-85) and it was exactly the same. The actions are beefy and not as well finished as some of the rifles that cost a little more but are very functional. The Cocking lever is Ambidextrous so you can use it from either side. They have a removable Breech plug That has a center channel that is tapped for 1/4x 28 so you can use a standard #11 nipple (I use a Knight Red Hot) or you can screw in the adapter to use 209 primers. Gun works still has some left.

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=1468&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes

At the bottom of the Lyman rifle section.

Ridge Runner - In-line - .54 Cal - Blued(T5-54) $165.00 Special
The Ridge Runner In-line is designed as a no nonsence hunting rifle! This piece has a round blued 1" x 22" 1:28 twist barrel that is drilled and tapped for scope mounts and fitted with an adjustable rear sight. Stocked with durable P grade Select Hardwood with a modified pistol grip, this gun will serve you well. The in-line ignition is activated by a single trigger that is similar to the Timny trigger. Equipped with a 1/4 x 28 nipple for the #11 percussion cap and an outside safety. Length of pull is 14-1/4". Please Note: The bolt will cock in EITHER the left or right side position making this a great gun for both the right handed or left handed shooter! In-line - Percussion, .54 Caliber, Right Hand or Left Hand. Please Note: Replacement breech plugs are available. Order # 900023. Breech Plug/Nipple Wrench is available. Order # AC1603.

I would bet money that they were where the Italian Knight came from. You can tell that Plunger was an afterthought. I would also bet money that you could put a Knight MK-85/MK-86/BK-89/BK-92/LK-93/Italian Knight/USAK/ TK2000 Plunger right in one and be up and running. Look at the thread cap on the back of the reviewer. Bet the knight plunger screws right in.

Might need one of the old .54 caliber plungers?

Shawn?? Can you prove me wrong?

Breech Plug - Replacement - Ridge Runner - In-line(900023) $19.25
1 per Pack Manufactured by Knight
Pieces: 1
This replacement breech plug will fit the Knight #LK, MK and USAK .50 caliber models plus the Ridge Runner .54 caliber that we sell. Thread size is 5/8-18 and is threaded for a 1/4x28 nipple or 209 primer adaptor.

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/bighorn-western-legal-muzzleloader-breech-plug/
SKU: M900023

Good question but to be fair i find companies all the time with way cheaper prices on their Amazon store for the same product.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...n-muzzleloader--on-sale-.cfm?gun_id=101133450

Since it uses a 5/8th Knight plug it might be a 5/8th plunger assembly too. Kinda cool in a way. Full "bull" 1" barrel the entire length. It would be very interesting to see if a Knight plunger works in it.

Here ya Go Busta, Your right on the money. :lewis: I knew the triggers were the same but never thought about the Plungers, being compatible. Probably due to the differences. You can't tell in the pic but the secondary safety has just a little space between it and the cap while resting on the nipple so Yes it will work. The silver one is the Plunger/hammer out of my MK-85 54cal. It will cock and fire too! :cool:
upload_2019-2-27_19-34-0.jpeg
upload_2019-2-27_19-34-26.jpeg

By the way, Those are Weaver #61 Bases. Give ya one guess what those also fit.:p Notice the little setscrew in the side of the action too. Now where have we seen that before.:D

Why are the 165.00 Special on their webpage but they have the same gun on Armslist for 99.00?

Not sure Dean. When I got mine the regular price was $165 but when I called and spoke to Joe about the build he told me they are on sale for $99 so that's what I paid for the rife. I just did not get the .54cal barrel he was going to use it for something but I had no problem with that as I did not want it anyway.

It has the T5 designation in the part number.

The Italian Knight was the T5 Woodsman.

Italian (European) rifles use metric nipple and breech plug threads, unless they are under a US contract.

No doubt It's the same rifle as the T5 Woodsman. Knight probably cancelled the .54 cal orders, as they were falling out of popularity? They probably just assembled them and stamped the as Palmetto Ridge Runners? No doubt IMM the Knight plungers will screw right in.

Edit

Woop, there it is!

The Breech plug is 5/8". Here it is next to the 11/16" plug out of my MK-85 54cal.

upload_2019-2-27_19-54-54.jpeg

I don't recall ever seeing the Knight 5/8" plug before. I know there were some for a few .54cals just never see one. As you can see mine has 11/16. The Knight Slotted tool works perfectly in the RidgeRunner too.

Breech Plug - Replacement - Ridge Runner - In-line(900023) $19.25
1 per Pack Manufactured by Knight
Pieces: 1
This replacement breech plug will fit the Knight #LK, MK and USAK .50 caliber models plus the Ridge Runner .54 caliber that we sell. Thread size is 5/8-18 and is threaded for a 1/4x28 nipple or 209 primer adaptor.

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/bighorn-western-legal-muzzleloader-breech-plug/
SKU: M900023

Are you sure about this being a 5/8x 18 plug? I don't see that on the Knight site you linked too.o_O

The Breech plug is 5/8". Here it is next to the 11/16" plug out of my MK-85 54cal.

View attachment 3977

I don't recall ever seeing the Knight 5/8" plug before. I know there were some for a few .54cals just never see one. As you can see mine has 11/16. The Knight Slotted tool works perfectly in the RidgeRunner too.

My MK-85 .50 cal and my TK2000 both have 5/8" breech plugs. They are the same length as your 11/16" plug.

Your .32 cal barrel and plug are aftermarket? Must me a customized breech plug? The .54 cal would have the longer breech plug.

Well maybe it is. I just found this in the PDF version of my MK-85, 95, LK, BK manual. Shame Knight don't specify it on the site as to what size they are. Wonder what the difference is between 900023 & 900024?

upload_2019-2-27_20-16-51.png

Hmmm and a threaded barrel.....Sounds like the cheapest way ive seen to get into a 40cal conical shooter.

Your plunger OD then is 5/8th that you tried?

Yup the barrel is threaded on. The Action is threaded for the BP as well. The BP just butts up to the barrel. Mine was the first conversion they did. I had emailed about doing it on an Allen action. Joe emailed back and said to call him to discuss it as he had another idea. This was it. I talked to him when it was done and he told me that when they finished it, him and his barrel maker, they too liked it and were going to build 2 more but in 40 caliber for themselves. Never heard if they did it or not. I think it was Lewis that said the barrel maker got sick. I'm thinking of calling Joe if I ever get a chance to ask about the Breech plug.

I found this pic I had and it shows a plug for the 54 that is threaded all the way to the end like the one in the pic from Numrich. Not sure you can go by the pic for length though.

upload_2019-2-27_21-42-41.jpeg

Hmmm and a threaded barrel.....Sounds like the cheapest way ive seen to get into a 40cal conical shooter.

Your plunger OD then is 5/8th that you tried?

The Barrel is Chrome Molly but it was a special twist (1 in30). Rifle and new barrel installed was under $450. I completed the build myself.

As delivered.

upload_2019-2-27_21-51-36.jpeg

Latest posts

Back