Palmetto inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. This Little pea shooter will do better. I have only shot one time since first of Dec. We have not had good weather on the weekends for shooting. :(
Not holes. Black dots covering holes from helping an older gent at the club this morning get his rifle sighted in. Guess they do look like holes though.:D

Glad to see a fellow Muzzleloader shooter from your part of the world! Love seeing the pics from hunters in other countries.:thumb::cool:

ToyTruck

No cracks in mine at all. :lewis: I had thought about carving a walnut stock for mine but the rifle was heavier than planned so just left in in the original.

All this talk about these rifles got me out to shoot my .32cal built on one today. About froze my feet and hands though. Was 28* when I got to the club.
Had some wicked mirage that was a surprise to deal with and a little left right crosswind. Load is 20gn Pyro P, .315 Hornady RB, and pillow tick patch (Cut off at the muzzle) Hoppies #9+ lube with a CCI Mag #11 cap.
Shot at 50 yards

View attachment 4076

Last 2 shots went off on me and found I had not tightened up the mounts as good as I should have after all the times I too the scope off for all the above part swapping.
Hard to really tell it but that is 7 shots. Shot 2 more after tightening the mounts back up.

View attachment 4077

Thats some good shooting.
I was at one stage tempted to buy a .32cal but didnt.
The smallest rifle I have today a .45 Deerhunter with a 1:60 twist.
Pistols is from a .22 up to a .45cal

Well that makes me feel somewhat better. I have one coming next week will have to look over the stock real good for cracks. Thanks for the reply!

Any idea what type of wood the original stock is?

If I remember correctly it was a light coloured wood but stained real dark. had it for 2 days and then tossed it out, sorry.

Received my gun today, quick check and all looks good. "Manual" says 120grs is max load and recommemds round ball, flat based conicals or sabots for projectiles. Now have to clean it up and get to the range someday! I ordered some 295 gr and 348 gr powerbelts just to shoot at paper. I am not a fan of them but waiting on some 54/50 and 54/45 sabots. Ordered some 50 cal bullets from Midsouth and they should be here Thursday; ordered 500 S&W 350gr Deep Curl and 500 S&W 275 gr Midsouth copper hollow points all black bullet. Oh, and some 50 cal 350 gr lead super hollow points off of gunbroker. Found the 54/50 sabots on gunbroker also.
John

I can't figure the wood out, but am leaning towards European beechwood only because european walnut used to be expensive and may still be?

Color/Appearance: Beech is typically a pale cream color, sometimes with a pink or brown hue. Veneer tends to be slightly darker colored, as slicing the veneer usually requires the wood to be prepared with steam, which gives the wood a more golden tone. Flatsawn surfaces tend to be very plain, while quartersawn surfaces exhibit a silvery fleck pattern.

Grain/Texture: Grain is straight, with a fine to medium uniform texture. Moderate natural luster.

Color/Appearance: European walnut aka English walnut. Heartwood can range from a lighter pale brown to a dark chocolate brown with darker brown streaks. Color can sometimes have a gray, purple, or reddish cast. Sapwood is nearly white. European Walnut can occasionally also be found with figured grain patterns such as: curly, crotch, and burl.

Grain/Texture: Grain is usually straight, but can be irregular. Has a medium texture and moderate natural luster.

european-beech-s-200x200.jpg english-walnut-200x200.jpg

Try Grafs or MidwayUSA for bullets. I would get the Speer 50-325gr JHP. Its a excellent bullet and sorta cheap. The Rainier 50-335gr is really cheap too.

The Speer 325gr was the bullet Knight shipped with 54cals. Really a great bullet for the speeds you can achieve. Alexander Arms loads them to around 1800-1900fps at most in the 50 Beowulf ammo. The bullet is actually made for 50 Action Express. The Rainier is super cheap. Like under $30/100 cheap at MidwayUSA. Ive seen them for close to $20/100 on sale.

Speer $15/50 on clearance
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...ter-325-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50

Steve,

Can you show a pic of the breech plug, or at least give us the length and diameter?

Steve,

Can you show a pic of the breech plug, or at least give us the length and diameter?

The breech plug is the same as Shawn's on left 1 1/2" long, except the threads go all the way to the end of the plug. Will have to check diameter later...
upload_2019-3-2_16-46-3-jpeg.4014

So it looks just like my original MK-85 plug, bottom left?

20190228_073238-jpeg.3988

Yes, same as bottom plug. I get 2.390 in. long, diameter 1.806 in. from smooth base at nipple end on calipers.

I think you need to zero your calipers?

Should be 1.5" long, and somewhere around 0.615" diameter to fit the 5/8" (0.625") threads.

I ended up ordering the Speer 325 gr, the Rainer look good but they were out of stock. The bullets I ordered from Midsouth and the sabots came in today, now I just need time to shoot! Thanks again GM.

John

I measured mine and it read 1.2 in long and 0.618 in diameter, a few times I got 0.615. Not a very refined plug like on the Knights, a little rough on the threads and at the end.

20190313_231235.jpg 20190313_231354.jpg

I measured mine and it read 1.2 in long and 0.618 in diameter, a few times I got 0.615. Not a very refined plug like on the Knights, a little rough on the threads and at the end.

Thanks.

Definitely a shorter plug, but still not as short as Shawn's for his customized .32 cal. It'd be real easy for a guy with a lathe to modify a Knight beech plug, if you ever needed to replace one.

Latest posts

Back