Paper patch bullet recommendation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for taking the time to explain “compression “ to me. I have tried quite a few times to cast match grade 500+ grain Bullets and have yet to accomplish anything close to what you achieve every time. I guess your years of practice allow you to decipher what a particular mold requires to cast a perfect Bullet. If I can get close to your level of expertise I would be very happy indeed. Believe me when I say that I read and try to retain as much as I can of what you have graciously made public on this forum. Thanks again.

You are very welcome LR_Smoker. Other than Shooting my Muzzleloaders, Reading, and Sharing here on Modern Muzzleloader is where i get my Enjoyment. I am a Loner in this stuff here where i live, This Forum is where i Communicate with others :lewis:

I had never heard of adjustable bullet sizing dies before, Lewis! Checked out both the Swinglock and the Hankins online, they both look quite interesting, versatile and useful. It looks like the Hankins looks like it might be slightly easier to work with.

Curtis

I had never heard of adjustable bullet sizing dies before, Lewis! Checked out both the Swinglock and the Hankins online, they both look quite interesting, versatile and useful. It looks like the Hankins looks like it might be slightly easier to work with.

Curtis

They adjust in tiny increments. They are a SLICK Tool :lewis: Designed for the inline Fella’s that Shoot Jacketed Bullets, They can Dial the Bullet right in to their Bore. The Same thing can obviously be done with a Lead Bullet. I like the idea that Hankins is Stainless.

You are very welcome LR_Smoker. Other than Shooting my Muzzleloaders, Reading, and Sharing here on Modern Muzzleloader is where i get my Enjoyment. I am a Loner in this stuff here where i live, This Forum is where i Communicate with others :lewis:
Where I live I’m pretty well on my own also. Other that this forum and a few other places there’s not many who are willing to share invaluable knowledge such as you share on a frequent basis.
I have shot some 45-70 and done fairly well in NMLRA competitions however I had to use purchased Bullets because I couldn’t cast anything match grade stuff so it’s important for me to research and learn as much as possible. Thanks again.

Just finished for the 1st time compression casting ,had 8/ 533 grain and (49/532 grain) of the nicest bullets ever cast by me . For Fridays shoot I might make 2 groups 532. 0 to 532.5 and 532.6 to 532.9 as not only are they pretty but never have I got nicer consistent weights . Now if I can just manage to shoot them (hate to see em go away ) Thanks for the education idaholewis

Attachments

• IMG_0422[1].JPG
    IMG_0422[1].JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0423[1].JPG
    IMG_0423[1].JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 7
Just finished for the 1st time compression casting ,had 8/ 533 grain and (49/532 grain) of the nicest bullets ever cast by me . For Fridays shoot I might make 2 groups 532. 0 to 532.5 and 532.6 to 532.9 as not only are they pretty but never have I got nicer consistent weights . Now if I can just manage to shoot them (hate to see em go away ) Thanks for the education idaholewis

That is AWESOME Ed!! They look REALLY REALLY GOOD My Friend!! :lewis:

That super ! So inspiring to see someone succeed after having a hard time thanks to the wisdom of the master. I’m just itching to find the time to try it myself.

That super ! So inspiring to see someone succeed after having a hard time thanks to the wisdom of the master. I’m just itching to find the time to try it myself.

You can DEFINITELY Do it my Friend! If you have any Questions, Just Ask :lewis:

With PURE Lead, The “Key” is to Cast it HOT, I enjoy Casting PURE Lead more than ANY of the Alloys. They each have their Sweet Spots/Requirements to get Optimum Fillout. I find the Alloys a Bit Trickier to Cast. PURE Lead is the easiest in my Opinion. But fact is, they will ALL Cast equally well, you just need to learn each of their Requirements :lewis:

With PURE Lead, The “Key” is to Cast it HOT, I enjoy Casting PURE Lead more than ANY of the Alloys. They each have their Sweet Spots/Requirements to get Optimum Fillout. I find the Alloys a Bit Trickier to Cast. PURE Lead is the easiest in my Opinion. But fact is, they will ALL Cast equally well, you just need to learn each of their Requirements :lewis:
My 1st attempt shown is an alloy BHN 10.4 /20-1 similar to what my Sharps liked/Ed

My 1st attempt shown is an alloy BHN 10.4 /20-1 similar to what my Sharps liked/Ed
Ahh... There’s hope for me yet then. I believe that I have most of the correct equipment however I just haven’t discovered the missing part of the puzzle to allow me to cast match grade bullets however with all this great information I’m feeling a lot more confident that I will be successful in my next couple of tries with 500 + grain bullets. Thanks for the encouragement. Now if I can only find the time .....

Unit 1 here is BIG, 1,584,441 acres Which is nearly 2,500 Square Miles. I personally know of 2 Bull Elk Killed last season. Remember that Little Sport Shop in Oldtown that we went to? And their Cork Board in their with All the Game Pics on it? There were MAYBE 5 Elk Total on that Board Last year, That’s Archery/Muzzleloader and Centerfire. A guy stands a Better chance of being Struck by Lightning here
I do remember that place.

That is just sad that the elk populations have tanked that far.

That is just sad that the elk populations have tanked that far.

It REALLY is!! Same goes for the Moose up here. When i moved here 10 Years ago this Country was ABSOLUTELY LOADED with Moose, You could EASILY Count 20 of them From here in Town, Up to Priest Lake on an Evening Drive. You had to be really careful on the Highways around here back then, They were ABUNDANT here. The last 4 or 5 Years i have seen MAYBE 4 or 5 Moose the ENTIRE Year, And i spend almost the Entire Hunting Season in the Mountains. As a Logger/Timber Faller all of my Life I am not Afraid to Go ANYWHERE on Foot, I get in Places here that a Billy Goat wouldn’t wanna Be :) In Elk Seasons I averaged 5-6 Miles a Day on my Boots. The BIG Game up here (Elk & Moose) Have steadily Declined, at a RAPID PACE ever Since these Hybrid Wolves were introduced here (Dumped on our Native Wildlife) I talked to a Retired Forrester (Good Friend of mine here) He has a Dirtbike with Snow Track on it, I was out Shooting my Muzzleloader This Winter, He Stopped to Visit, He had Just got off the Mountains from a LONG Ride of 20 Miles or There abouts Across the Big Creek Meadows. I asked him how Much game he seen? He didn’t Cut 1 Single Track that ENTIRE RUN, And he was all the way up in the Big Creek Meadows. He told me Normally he would Cut Moose Track after Moose track, And Find them in about Every Little Creek Bottom, Drainage he Came Across, Now Days it’s NOTHING but a White Blanket of Snow.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-world/2019/07/21/moose-numbers-idaho-are/

The Problem up here is FAR WORSE than Fish & Game will Ever admit

You know it’s BAD when their is a 45% Reduction in Moose Tags, Fish & Game are ALL about Bringing in the Money, However they can. They Bring in a BOAT Load of Money on Non Resident Tags, So to CUT that you Know we have a MAJOR Problem up here. These Elk & Moose have Been BEAT to Death By Wolves, They have been Over Hunted, Ticks/Disease, Winter Kill Etc. They need to STOP the Season all together in Hopes they Can Re-Bound, Before they Become FULLY EXTINCT

“The Panhandle region of Idaho saw the largest reduction in 2019-20, a 45% reduction in moose tags and the elimination of antlerless tags“

But look on the Bright Side, You can get about 30 Wolf Tags Per Person Now, Think we have a Problem here?

F&G commission increases number of wolf tags hunters and trappers can purchase

Up to 15 hunting tags and 15 trapping tags can now be purchased by an individual in a year
During their meeting in Boise on Jan. 23, the Idaho Fish and Game Commission voted to increase the maximum number of wolf tags an individual can purchase to 15 hunting tags and 15 trapping tags for the 2020-21 season.

They need to take all protection off them now. I know in some units up north they closed moose hunts because no animals were harvested in several years. They didn't refund money to the guys that drew the tags.

The elk down here have been forced into areas around ranches and farms. The wolves wont go into these areas so the elk are piled up in them. Now there F&G are going to trap the elk and transplant them else where.

In that story the only thing they don't talk about is wolves. They will put radio collars on them to find out what is killing them. Too bad they won't figure out the problem of the die off because they will get eaten by wolves before the ticks get them.

I pulled an awesome bull tag this year too. I am still recovering from my surgery last year. I have been issued a disabled hunting licence so I can use an ATV or my truck.
I am really hoping to do this tag justice. I am planning to use my Hot Rod Renegade 50.
This I have to promise I can not mount another bull. I cant get them in the house and the Sportsman Warehouse in Twin Falls isn't taking any more. If I get a good one it will be a euro mount.

Lewis, what temperature do you consider HOT for pure lead?

I want Accurate Molds to create a .54 caliber, 4-band, 390 grain (as cast), tapered, wide meplat (0.400") bullet that mirrors the old Hornady Great Plains bullet. One that can be shot without sizing.

Based on your posts, I intend to compression cast with a ladle. Do Tom's molds from Accurate lend themselves to compression casting?

Thanks

Lewis, what temperature do you consider HOT for pure lead?

I want Accurate Molds to create a .54 caliber, 4-band, 390 grain (as cast), tapered, wide meplat (0.400") bullet that mirrors the old Hornady Great Plains bullet. One that can be shot without sizing.

Based on your posts, I intend to compression cast with a ladle. Do Tom's molds from Accurate lend themselves to compression casting?

Thanks

Right around 775-800 Degrees is Where i get BEST Results Casting PURE Lead, Alloys DON’T Play well with that kind of Heat. I cast Alloys at 700-725

Some of My Accurate Molds do well Compression Casting, and Some Don’t, Molds are like people in a Sense, each have their Own personality :) That’s VERY TRUE!

If a mold Doesn’t like Compression, The next best thing is to Fill the Cavity as QUICKLY as Possible, and Puddle up a LARGE Sprue on Top of the Plate, As Large as you can Make it

Back