Paper patch bullet recommendation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My comments are a little off subject, Moose meat is the best I have ever eaten of North American large game and a really good paper patch bullet is generally on the soft side and I read no where anyone is whetting the paper which I Think was always done with none coated paper of correct paper thickness and grain direction.

My comments are a little off subject, Moose meat is the best I have ever eaten of North American large game and a really good paper patch bullet is generally on the soft side and I read no where anyone is whetting the paper which I Think was always done with none coated paper of correct paper thickness and grain direction.
All my paper patching no matter the caliber is done dry and have not seen anyone I shoot with wet or dampen patch material . My favorite is 9 LB onion skin ,I have different weight patche material but the most down range lead (A BUNCH of 443 /530 grain) wears 9LB supplied by BACO/TOW and others .Ed

The wet or damp is only done to the paper prior to the bullet wrap . Let them dry well before shooting. with the correct paper it will shrink ever so little as it dries, makes for a very tight wrap. I wish I could remember the paper we used; that was 40 years ago for me. I was shooting a 1874 Shiloh Sharps 45-120 . Brutal gun to shoot, especially with a duplex load. Later on re-barreled it from octagon to round and upped the wht. some, and rechambered to 45-100. Shot it a lot as a 45-90 and 45-100 The paper very well could have been onion skin. I may have it in my notes somewhere but that's a mute point. You don't need me to dig it out for you. Sounds like what's working for you is good.

i know this is 3 years late/ post thread,,, but baco lists several "paper patch bullets" undersized for patching that are all swaged from pure lead... have you tried these?? (one of the 1st i'm gonna try when my new rice 45 gets back from blueing)

i know this is 3 years late/ post thread,,, but baco lists several "paper patch bullets" undersized for patching that are all swaged from pure lead... have you tried these?? (one of the 1st i'm gonna try when my new rice 45 gets back from blueing)
BACO 443 -530 gr Eliptical wrapped with Baco s 9 LB onion skin , my Rice 1-17 likes it

Back