Paper Patch Mold for .308 Win

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This is my 2nd NOE Mold, I sure wish he offered Steel, i much prefer a Steel Mold. This is NOE’s Copy of the .30 Cal NRA Paper Patch Bullet

YAsthsNl.jpg

I started Casting for my .308 Win this Winter. This has been a Challenge, and quite a lot of Fun to do :lewis: I am using Lyman #2 Alloy which has a BHN of 15, I am Water Quenching as well, But haven’t tested BHN after Water Quenching so I really don’t know what it’s actually doing? It’s definitely not hurting anything

My goal was to get a Grease Groove Design Bullet to Shoot well, and a Paper Patch bullet in my Little .308 Winchester, After some Tinkering, I was successful in both :lewis:

what is your velocity

It has been MISERABLY Cold here and I haven’t taken the Chronograph the last few outings, So i don’t know the exact Velocity on this Particular Load? But i can guess Really Close, This Same Bullet Weight with 40 Grains of this Same powder was 2,530 fps, So This 42 Grain load should be 2,700 fps or really close there abouts. In my testing, 1 Grain of this Powder has yielded 100 fps, or a little better.

Paper Patching a Cartridge Rifle is VERY Different than a Muzzleloader. With Muzzleloader you are Patching to Bore Diameter (Example being: a .492 Naked Bullet for .50 Cal with a Bore Diameter of Say .500-.501 being pretty Typical. When you Wrap that .492 Bullet with 2 Wraps of Typical Paper Patching Paper it will Bring the Bullet Diameter up to .499-.500, Which is Ideal)

With a Cartridge Rifle you are Patching to Groove Diameter. You want the Core/Bullet to be about .001 Over Bore Diameter so it SLICES the Paper (Saami Specs for most .30 Cals is .300/.308, So a Core/Bullet Diameter of .301 would be Ideal if you have a Bore Diameter of .300) Again, With a Cartridge Rifle you are Patching to GROOVE Diameter instead of BORE. So i take my Core/Bullet That is .300-.301 and i Patch it WET, with 2 Wraps of Vellum/25% Cotton paper, This Brings my Finished Diameter to .309-.310, I try and Patch right to the Bearing Surface of the Bullet, maybe a Few thou beyond is all, You don’t want to Patch to Far forward

Then you have Case Neck Tension, .001 Tension on a Paper Patch Bullet seems about Right to me so far. A simple Neck Expander Die/Bushing. You want the Bullet Seated where it is Jammed in the Lands, NO JUMP like a Jacketed Bullet. I seat mine about .005 to Long and Finish Seating them with my Rifles Bolt when i push Forward to Close the Bolt, I can feel slight Resistance

That is some of It. This Stuff is a Lot of Fun to do! It was A new, and Different Challenge for Sure. I am looking forward to Playing Longer Ranges with my Centerfire Cast :lewis:

Paper Patching a Cartridge Rifle is VERY Different than a Muzzleloader. With Muzzleloader you are Patching to Bore Diameter (Example being: a .492 Naked Bullet for .50 Cal with a Bore Diameter of Say .500-.501 being pretty Typical. When you Wrap that .492 Bullet with 2 Wraps of Typical Paper Patching Paper it will Bring the Bullet Diameter up to .499-.500, Which is Ideal)

With a Cartridge Rifle you are Patching to Groove Diameter. You want the Core/Bullet to be about .001 Over Bore Diameter so it SLICES the Paper (Saami Specs for most .30 Cals is .300/.308, So a Core/Bullet Diameter of .301 would be Ideal if you have a Bore Diameter of .300) Again, With a Cartridge Rifle you are Patching to GROOVE Diameter instead of BORE. So i take my Core/Bullet That is .300-.301 and i Patch it WET, with 2 Wraps of Vellum/25% Cotton paper, This Brings my Finished Diameter to .309-.310, I try and Patch right to the Bearing Surface of the Bullet, maybe a Few thou beyond is all, You don’t want to Patch to Far forward

Then you have Case Neck Tension, .001 Tension on a Paper Patch Bullet seems about Right to me so far. A simple Neck Expander Die/Bushing. You want the Bullet Seated where it is Jammed in the Lands, NO JUMP like a Jacketed Bullet. I seat mine about .005 to Long and Finish Seating them with my Rifles Bolt when i push Forward to Close the Bolt, I can feel slight Resistance

That is some of It. This Stuff is a Lot of Fun to do! It was A new, and Different Challenge for Sure. I am looking forward to Playing Longer Ranges with my Centerfire Cast :lewis:
Well DAH !!!! What was i thinkin...??? Sure wasnt payin attention was i !!!
Have you shot any bullets only lubed yet or dont you have those molds too ?? Really wondering how that BLL or the other lube youve mentioned did for you . REALLY thinkin about a 40 bh209/sml using that stuff . Dont mean to go off topic just wanted some wisdom by what youve found out at high velocity . BLL makes a brush and patch between shots needed with T7 3F but the accuracy is AWESOME !!! Mind-blowing actually !!!

Last edited:
Well DAH !!!! What was i thinkin...??? Sure wasnt payin attention was i !!!
Have you shot any bullets only lubed yet or dont you have those molds too ?? Really wondering how that BLL or the other lube youve mentioned did for you . REALLY thinkin about a 40 bh209/sml using that stuff . Dont mean to go off topic just wanted some wisdom by what youve found out at high velocity . BLL makes a brush and patch between shots needed with T7 3F but the accuracy is AWESOME !!! Mind-blowing actually !!!

If i were to think of another inline, it would DEFINITELY be a Smokeless Rig, Something like Bestill’s Woody :lewis: The way i see it, if I’m gonna have a Modern inline, Why stop short? I would go ALL Out Smokeless, Something i could Shoot a Mile With :D And not have to Worry about a Corrosive, Semi Corrosive Powder eating my investment up if not Cleaned on time, and properly. To say i am THOROUGHLY impressed with the Smokeless Rigs would be a LARGE understatement!! Put this in to thought? The .338 Lapua Magnum is one of the Dominate KINGS of Long Range and has been for years, A Smokeless Muzzleloader setup so, can MELT the Doors off a .338 Lapua!! :D

SPOT ON!! They were doing this Stuff a LONG LONG time ago, It amazes me what has Already been done FOREVER ago. What we do as a Fun/Hobby, was a way of Life back then, Meat was put on the Table, Families Fed with this Stuff
Ive actually considered a pp bullet for said 40 too . No kiddin . I dont like thinkin in a box . They put a box in a box and put them in a hole in the ground and cover it up . Theres no activity in there . Just sayin......:eek:

Last edited:
Back