Paper Patching for Muzzleloaders (Video)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
52Bore said:
Idaholewis said:
52Bore said:
Good video, there's a lot of history behind PP..
Thank you Rick, It ABSOLUTELY AMAZES me that they were doing this stuff in the 1800s, Everytime i sit down and Start Cutting Papers, and Wrapping Bullets, I think about it. Do you know when there abouts they first Started Paper Patching? I’ve heard Late 1800s, Any history would be Neat to ad here! I LOVE my Paper Patched bullets

I've never read when or who it is accredited to, but I would say 1840's because the Whitworth trials/experiments occurred during the early 1850's for the British Gov't.

Rick, I copied this from another forum

I have been trying to narrow down who exactly first conceived of using paper patch bullets in metallic cartridges as there is a huge gap between when Sir Jos. Whitworth decided to paper patch his hexagonal slugs for his eponymous muzzleloading rifle and their appearance in cartridges sometime around approx. 1870. I think the answer may be someone whose name we all have heard of: Hiram Berdan. The Berdan I Rifle (1868) used "A lubricated paper wrapped .42 caliber bullet in a brass case." Interestingly, Berdan was using brass at this early date. The earliest Remington RB Military Rifle chambered for anything larger than pistols ctgs. was the 12.17×42mm RF for Sweden & Norway and used a grease groove bullet. The .43 Spanish was not adopted by Spain until 1870. The facts are that Hiram Berdan first utilized paper patch bullets starting in 1868. The rifles were made by Colt ironically as Berdan was an engineer and not a manufacturer. These were sold to Russia.

Ironically, the .42 Berdan held 77 gr. of BP and the patched bullet weighed approx. 386 gr. It would appear that for whatever reason this caused an avalanche of outright copying in that the .43 Spanish of 1870, Sharps .44-70 (initial loading) & the .43 Mauser of 1871 are practically identical. Berdan, aside form his Civil War fame, was an incredible engineer who had made a fortune on patents allowing him the luxury to dabble in firearms.

http://www.russianwarrior.com/STMMain.h ... rdan.htm&1

http://www.militaryrifles.com/russia/RBerdan1.htm

It is called 55y sketching paper , #8 pound , Seth Cole

Is it better to cut against the grain or with the grain of paper when cutting your paper? Or does it not matter?

cut with the grain
Thanks, i’ve seen where both ways are suggested.

Cutting across the grain only gives me two patches per length of paper (8.5”), where if I cut with the grain (11”) I would get more patches per sheet.
Just making sure before I wrap a bunch.

Last edited:
Thanks, i’ve seen where both ways are suggested.

Cutting across the grain only gives me two patches per length of paper (8.5”), where if I cut with the grain (11”) I would get more patches per sheet.
Just making sure before I wrap a bunch.

I have cut Patches both ways and can’t tell any difference? But to think of it, I have never tested accuracy between the 2, I will have to try this some day

I have cut Patches both ways and can’t tell any difference? But to think of it, I have never tested accuracy between the 2, I will have to try this some day
I just cut them how ever gets me the most patches per sheet. Would be interesting to see if there was a difference though.

just read it in a book , just makes patch little stronger don't think has anything to do with accuracy

Next monat i will order Pedersoli s Gibbs muzzleloader .451 cal. All be same as video rifle cal .451....bulet must be 0.442 and after paper patch will be 0.45. What about bulet which offer Pedersoli for Gibbs
  • Cod. 036U526451 - .451..........how can resize to 0.442...........or must use another bulet because i do not want use the mold............a want to buy any bulets and only resizing

I use a heavy duty Plastic Sign such a No Trespassing Etc., I also have the Nice Brass Templates from BACO (Buffalo Arms Co.) I simply go through the Signs at the Hardware store and look for a Type that is Nice n Rigid, But That i could also Cut with Scissors, Works GREAT and Simple to do :lewis:

I will mark out singles for just 1 Sheet, anymore quantity and i go to my Paper Cutter
vsUT8xyl.jpg

Simple to make, and to get a PERFECT Fitting Patch that Just meets on the 2nd Wrap, with NO over shooting, You are Better to have a Patch slightly Short than to long, to long is a NO NO! I have “Short Patch” Templates, and Long, These are a Few of them
qenXsVal.jpg

Paper Cutter that I use For High Production Patch Cutting :lewis:
fr7xRV9l.jpg

where did you get your cutter?

I got this one at Staples, it’s just a Simple, yet VERY effective Cutter, I really like the Grid/Layout. That orange piece in the Very front pulls out and Extends Making a Ruler, I haven’t found a need for it yet? But i guess it could come in handy? This wasn’t that Expensive, i wanna say 25-30 Dollars Max. It sure does Work good :lewis: when you get the Hang of it, you can REALLY Cut a BUNCH of Paper Patches in a Hurry with this thing. I use this Cutter to Cut my Strips, Then i use my Templates Pressed on 6-8 Strips at a Time to Cut Finished Patches With a Razor/Scalpel
UUa9DGcl.jpg

I cut my Patches Similar to Brent Danielson, The only difference is Brent Cuts his Full length Strips Manual, and i use the Cutter above

Lewis
I tried a few pp 50 cal bullets while i watched it rain again today. I used this templet and it worked good as far as size goes. My first attempt. One came unravelled on me. I did not have .008 undersized bullets like you use so i did them like Ron does, i sized, i wrapped, i resized again thru my .499 Lee size die. They came out .500, a little tighter than before i wrapped at .499.
DL

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: