Paramount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertBoy

Reaction score
Looking into possibly buying a Paramount. A couple questions. Was researching a tad and was wandering if I would be able to use the Pittman bullets? What kind of speed are guys getting out of these with a healthy dose of powder? And last, is BH209 a temperature sensitive powder? Any feedback would be great, thanks for your input.

I'm a big fan of Pittman bullets I shoot them a lot, my Paramount bore is just too large for them, I've had better success with fury 265 gr 453 dia, now that its 90-plus degrees where I live ,I do not have to run the 453 bullets through my sizing die they will seat in my Paramount Bore fine .for my Paramount the only way I could shoot the 452 Pittman's would be to either have them knurled or knurl them up myself

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_071101125.jpg
    IMG_20200519_071101125.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 3
Would I be able to use the 300gr plus bullets with the Paramount. If so, what is the higher velocities attainable? I just want to see the energy and velocity I can get out of it, before I spend the money. I really like to long range shoot, and am looking at the Arrowhead and Gunwerks Rigs. Just trying to see what the different speed/energy/ and bullet weight differences/combos are. And is BH 209 a temperature stable powder?

I'm comfortable shooting my Paramount to 300 yards,I would be very comfortable hunting at that distance probably even 350 yards,I have not shot the 300 Pittman and the 325 in the Paramount, are you looking at shooting blackhorn or are you considering a smokeless rig like Arrowhead build.

I don’t know on the powder yet, thats why I am trying to see if BH209 is temperature sensitive. The Arrowhead muzzleloaders I thought was shot the BH209? As of now I am shooting the CVA Optima V2, 120gr BH209, 290gr TEZ, and it shoots about 1 MOA out to 300yds. After that, I am out of energy and haven’t shot past that. So I want to go to an ELR set up. I know with my .338 Edge at ELR, temperature stable powder is important, and I am guessing it is the same with a muzzleloader? I want to stretch my muzzleloader out to that that 800yd mark(not at game), but also have sufficient energy at those ELR ranges. So if the Paramount is only capable of pushing high two hundred gr bullets at velocities of 2000-2200fps, I will go to a custom build. Trying to get as much info as I can. Thanks again

I understand I think you would be better suited with an 18 twist smokeless rig shoot heavier bullets, also I think the Paramount's bore limits the bullets that you can shoot out of it I would build a custom Arrowhead with an 18 or 20 twist barrel and start shooting, I think you'll be amazed

...............….. I really like to long range shoot, and am looking at the Arrowhead and Gunwerks Rigs...…..
If it were me...…… There's only one choice between the two rifles you mentioned. Go with the Arrowhead rifle.

The Arrowhead rifle will shoot BH209 without question. The only limitation is the shooter themselves. You can size any of the 45cal bullets you want to shoot and it will send them better than most shooters can shoot. CS is second to none.

I wouldn't make the mistake of Gunwerks myself.

Basically, other than solid copper or brass bullets that need a sabot because they don’t expand - the Paramount will shoot any bullet.
Knight 45 are 1:20 (K500 1:18), so that might be another option.

I wouldn't make the mistake of Gunwerks myself.

Gunwerks used to make a super sweet SML action. Looked very similar to a Rem 40X rimfire with rear lugs. Im not sure but i think they have since changed. IMO their rifles are way overpriced for what you get. Nice but you can have one hell of a custom for what they are asking.

Latest posts

Back