Parasite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you HC !
Bingo!! I'm not eating tape worms especially if I know it.

I killed a fox squirrel last week that had a warble in it, but that's different. The warble was located under the front arm so I just cut it out and the surrounding meat. The rest of the squirrel was in very good shape and fat. Ate him couple nights ago, no issues with taste, etc.

I have seen this in a (bow shot) moose. On a trip with a dermatologist, a Family Practice doc, and a pathologist, and a 17 year old farm boy (guess who got the moose). The guides assured us it was nothing. The pathologist treated it like a case, did some slides as if it were a frozen section biopsy (it was really an autopsy or necropsy) and a CT scan of a roast, came up with the diagnosis of cysticercosis/taenia solium. It's a parasite with a very complex life style. Tape worms? Not a big deal. Worms in the brain? Big deal. If you're starving and you see something like this, cook it well. If you think you can tough it out, keep it frozen below zero for a month, and cook it well. We brought the moose to the rendering plant. Frying is not going to heat the meat high enough to kill the parasites without overcooking, which is a bad way to treat a deer.

Sorry you guys got a sick deer. I killed one here in Missouri that was obviously quite ill - staggering, falling, and stinking from sores. Agent gave me a replacement tag, said to burn the carcass. Ethical hunters, in my opinion, will dispatch a sick/wounded animal humanely. We don't hunt cottontails until it's really cold.

If you haven't eaten, don't read this yet...
While my post (#30) above was trying to make light the a sad loss of game, the dietary comment has a veil of truth to it.
People who've had tapeworms living/thriving within cause severe weight loss. They suck/sap all the nutrients from your food out of your system and can grow to several feet long. Disgusting stuff.

https://healthfacts.blog/2018/01/19/what-is-the-longest-tapeworm-ever-removed-from-a-person/

Sorry you guys got a sick deer. I killed one here in Missouri that was obviously quite ill - staggering, falling, and stinking from sores. Agent gave me a replacement tag, said to burn the carcass. Ethical hunters, in my opinion, will dispatch a sick/wounded animal humanely. We don't hunt cottontails until it's really cold.
Sheriff,
I hold the most honorable trophy is the cripple. And five years running one of our party brought one in.

All this talk of parasites in meat reminds me of working in Germany a few years ago. I was at a small GE facility and one day the engineering department had breakfast together at the plant. There were all kinds of sweet and savory breakfast foods on the table, but the main thing was Brotchen mit Mett (sometimes called Mettbrotchen). A fresh roll, with the soft dough squished down to the crust then the now hollow roll is packed with raw ground port and topped with raw onions. It became clear that I was offending everyone by not trying the Mett. So, I was obliged to try some.....it was actually very tasty. I grew up on a farm and we slaughtered pigs and cows, and I remember my great grandmother tasting the pork sausage as we were grinding it to confirm the flavor/seasoning.

That night I was on the phone with my wife who is a Registered Dietitian and when I told her that I tried it, she was like....you better read up on Trichinellosis/trichinosis. It's a round worm that can, among other things, infect your brain/central nervous system. At the time, Germany had the second highest incident rate in the world, following only Malaysia.

So, for me....I'll pass on meat with spots, dots, bugs, grubs, etc.

Latest posts

Back