Park Crossbow Deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here in No VA we have a long long very long deer season. Starts in Sept (Archery) and ends in April (Archery). The only state Ive ever hunted that has more ins and outs to its hunting laws is Washington state. Here at least the county is your first delineator and then they pile on exceptions and additions. I try to hunt the parks (Local and state) Federal land and state forest. Most if not all are DMAP. With in any of these entity's you will have gun areas and archery areas. I sign up for both, so if I don't get picked for one I can do the other. (Like to hunt). This doe was 35yds out have a staring contest with a very aggravated squirrel. I'm up about 20ft. Not much to shoot at almost dead on. One of the best shots Ive ever made with a crossbow.

Attachments

• DSC07753.JPG
    DSC07753.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC07759.JPG
    DSC07759.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 29
No not a DRT. In fact no blood at the spot. Nor the arrow. It did a jump and turn and in to those XXXX autumn olives and other scrub growth. Did an arc look and found a blood patch and broken arrow. She was not much further. Called it in and they came and got her. At this park they bring your deer in for you after you field dress it. I'm 75, I appreciate it. This park is an very large 1850 ciri farm overgrown. Well run very nice folks. But like the rest of Loudon Co. they have a deer problem.

Now that's a nice stick. Congrats on your take!

Thank You

Brings back memories. lol Years ago, when I was around 17 years old, I had a recurve and used cedar arrows. The first buck that came along that I ever shot at with a bow came in right smack under my stand. Maybe 6 feet under me. Cock sure of a nice neck shot I drew back and let it loose. I hit that deer right between the antlers. The old cedar arrow basically exploded, but that buck hit the dirt like he'd been axed. I sat in the stand for all of a half hour like I'd been told to do after getting a hit, then crawled down to check out my trophy. As I went to lift the head the sucker started thrashing around and kicking. He was unable to get up and after ten minutes of trying to wrangle that sucker into submission I finally managed to cut its throat to dispatch it. What a mess that was.

Ironically a warden was driving past my car when I popped out of the cornfield with the bow. He stopped and backed up and parked and as soon as he saw me, he went hysterical. I was covered with blood and he thought I'd been shot. After explaining what had happened, he rode back to the woodline with me and helped me drag the deer up to the car and get it loaded. After all that he still checked the license and was still laughing his ass off as he drove away. My first bow buck and I really had to work for that sucker.

Brings back memories. lol Years ago, when I was around 17 years old, I had a recurve and used cedar arrows. The first buck that came along that I ever shot at with a bow came in right smack under my stand. Maybe 6 feet under me. Cock sure of a nice neck shot I drew back and let it loose. I hit that deer right between the antlers. The old cedar arrow basically exploded, but that buck hit the dirt like he'd been axed. I sat in the stand for all of a half hour like I'd been told to do after getting a hit, then crawled down to check out my trophy. As I went to lift the head the sucker started thrashing around and kicking. He was unable to get up and after ten minutes of trying to wrangle that sucker into submission I finally managed to cut its throat to dispatch it. What a mess that was.

Ironically a warden was driving past my car when I popped out of the cornfield with the bow. He stopped and backed up and parked and as soon as he saw me, he went hysterical. I was covered with blood and he thought I'd been shot. After explaining what had happened, he rode back to the woodline with me and helped me drag the deer up to the car and get it loaded. After all that he still checked the license and was still laughing his ass off as he drove away. My first bow buck and I really had to work for that sucker.
I had to throat cut a deer once several years ago. I will NOT ever do that again. I would rather bash its head with a rock or stab it in the heart.

NAP If you blow up second picture, you can see it clearly. It broke the shoulder blade in several parts. Could be used again.
All that blood washed out with a rubbing of kosher salt and overnight soak of buttermilk. Lost very little meat.

I have changed horses in the middle of the stream or maybe closer to the start. My sons old Horton was toast, so I gave him mine ( Horton) , along with all the arrows and ect. Got a new Ravin R10, got several arrows with it. I use the same arrow for practice and a second for verify results. The NAP broadhead was a little off at 20, so we went hunting. It was way the devil off at 35, but still got the deer. The broadhead was not designed for 400 fps. Purchased broad heads designed for 400 fps plus. Same hole. Purchased 2 boxes of 6 arrows from Cabalas and 10 in bulk from an archery place. We went from simple click to using the strength of Samson to seat the arrow. The orange nocks are all over the place in specs, different lengths/dia to nocks, seating of string. These are not the white ones just recalled. You can see the difference with the naked eye. I was a machinist in a past life and yes I'm critical. I even weigh my arrows with the head and adjust as required. I want the variable factor to be me. I filed a complaint with pics and specs, lets see what they do.

Back