Parker 270 and ELR 285

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The parker 270 emax and the PowerBelt 285 ELR
The first photo shows the ELR with belt removed as it should be exiting barrel. Other shows with belt on .View attachment 30710View attachment 30711
That 270gr E-Max is one slick bullet. I got some shortly after I got my Paramount in late 2019. I got them sized at .4525 so they are too dang loose to use without knurling them up then running them thru my adj sizing die thats set to my Paramount bore. They didn't shoot well, I think bc they fell down the barrel & landed on the felt wad, no ramrod needed. I didn't get many, but I would like to test them out again after I resize them & see how they group.
I love that bullet & its .36 BC for a bench rest target shooting application. If I were using a Brux 1:20 or 1:18 smokeless rated target barrel
shooting targets out to 500-600yds, I'd take that EMAX bullet all day long.
Believe it or not, that ELR shot sub moa at a 200yd zero. Its just a mini hand grenade on deer at 2450-ish fps & as a meat hunter, I'm not cool with that kinda overkill. But they really did group surprisingly well on paper.

some powerbelts tend to explode and fragment on impact with higher velocity loads.
these however were designed for super stout loads like 160 and 170 blackhorn. So they are much harder. Therefore my concern is lack of expansion. Especially if the range is far enough that the velocity had dropped.

so the ELR's are not good for deer hunting?
View attachment 30761

I know they group real well out of my Peregrine
at 100 yard

so the ELR's are not good for deer hunting?
View attachment 30761

I know they group real well out of my Peregrine
at 100 yards
I can't speak to the 45s but the 50s shot very well out of my CVA Accura V2 Plains Rifle. From the standpoint of terminal performance I have no 1st hand experience but from what I've seen on other forums they blow big holes in whatever they hit. If the shot was in the heart lung area you're good to go. But I saw a picture of a shoulder shot and it was brutal. Massive meat destruction.

I can't speak to the 45s but the 50s shot very well out of my CVA Accura V2 Plains Rifle. From the standpoint of terminal performance I have no 1st hand experience but from what I've seen on other forums they blow big holes in whatever they hit. If the shot was in the heart lung area you're good to go. But I saw a picture of a shoulder shot and it was brutal. Massive meat destruction.
Thanks Pathfinder, that was my point to my comments. I kinda forgot to post a reply with exactly what you just said about them to white eagle's question.
They blow massive holes in whatever they hit - a grenade. NOT what I want for a deer-hunting bullet. Thats all. As much as I absolutely love them as a target bullet, on a very small budget, I could never afford to shoot them regularly. Fortunately for me, Fury ST2P 275gr bullets make fantastic hunting & target bullets that I can afford.

that aint good news
what exactly do they do that you would not use them to hunt with?
Curious
Sorry for the delayed reply,
I answered your question in a response to Pathfinders post.
Here’s exactly why I won’t hunt with any bullets like that -
bc they will never get put thru a critter or a target & come out looking anything like this.

Attachments

• B8850EC1-CCEB-4CCC-9C65-E2C19899B969.jpeg
    B8850EC1-CCEB-4CCC-9C65-E2C19899B969.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • BDFEC4A4-8AFB-4DFA-8A41-CC397B454580.jpeg
    BDFEC4A4-8AFB-4DFA-8A41-CC397B454580.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 676512F3-51A6-4D5B-B1C5-4FC0AC84B233.jpeg
    676512F3-51A6-4D5B-B1C5-4FC0AC84B233.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks Pathfinder, that was my point to my comments. I kinda forgot to post a reply with exactly what you just said about them to white eagle's question.
They blow massive holes in whatever they hit - ayjisbfat old man would have done about grenade. NOT what I want for a deer-hunting bullet. Thats all. As much as I absolutely love them as a target bullet, on a very small budget, I could never afford to shoot them regularly. Fortunately for me, Fury ST2P 275gr bullets make fantastic hunting & target bullets that I can afford.
I shot a nice 6 point last year with the 320gr ST2P and that bullet is no joke. 106 yards broadside and it blew a hole on the offside the size of a tangerine and lungs all over the trees behind him. He stumbled about 4 steps and went down. 5 more steps and he'd have fallen 30 ft down into a ravine. I'm not sure what this fat old man would have done about that...great bullet.

Back