Parts for a Knight MK85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have been looking for a quality built .54 in-line for low money. I knew that would mean a basket case...I am good with that. I want a handy rifle that is good to 75 yards with a big bullet. So I found a Knight MK85 in .54 and it has an issue or two. The ramrod is missing, I think I can get one at Sportsman's Warehouse, or is there a better source? The seller told me that that Breech plug is seized ( I have been reading about solutions for that). It also looks like it might be missing the rear sight. Is there a parts outlet or is it hit or miss on the auction sites and here?

Thanks in advance. The rifle is on its way to me...I will do some befor and after pics when it gets here.

When you get it let me know what length ram rod you need. I have a couple laying around. I also have several spare breech plugs but they are for 50 caliber...Don’t know if that matters or not.

Hal

At one point, If I remember right there were 2 different Bps for the 54cal and there was a date when they changed. I don't recall what it was. One plug was 5/8" diameter and the other was 11/16 x 20tpi" So measure up the one you have, if or when you get it out, before ordering.

As for the ramrod, What I did for mine was to get a 50 cal rod (one used Knight and one New Carbon Aluminum from Knight) and change the jags. I like the extending rods for hunting. You can get the jag itself from Numrich Arms (Far as I know Knight don't carry them anymore). Numrich (Gun Parts Corp) have them in stock, as well as some other things. The old Jag may have a drop or two of loctite on it so might need to heat it. Then just be careful how you hold it to get it off or you'll make up the extension rod. The new one will screw right on.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/766530

Never mind see you've already got them coming..

I've probably got a rear sight let me look, also a ram rod have to check.

[/is this the one your looking for, if yes p.m. me your address and will get it sent out to you after Christmas. the ram rod ive got is to short, will look to see if I have another one.b]

339lxzl.jpg

ShawnT said:
At one point, If I remember right there were 2 different Bps for the 54cal and there was a date when they changed. I don't recall what it was. One plug was 5/8" diameter and the other was 11/16 x 20tpi" So measure up the one you have, if or when you get it out, before ordering.

As for the ramrod, What I did for mine was to get a 50 cal rod (one used Knight and one New Carbon Aluminum from Knight) and change the jags. I like the extending rods for hunting. You can get the jag itself from Numrich Arms (Far as I know Knight don't carry them anymore). Numrich (Gun Parts Corp) have them in stock, as well as some other things. The old Jag may have a drop or two of loctite on it so might need to heat it. Then just be careful how you hold it to get it off or you'll make up the extension rod. The new one will screw right on.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/766530

Shawn is Correct, i just went through this with my .54 Cal MK-85, Mine had the 11/16 Breech plug, Knight made some of both in the .54 Cal MK-85, 5/8” and 11/16” You definitely need to know which you have. If by chance yours is the 11/16” like mine you can get the New Hex Head Version plug by ordering a Breech plug for a Knight Bighorn .52 Cal, The .52 Cal is 11/16” and will fit your 54 Cal MK-85

The old Slotted head Breech plug in my .54 Cal MK-85 was longer than the new Hex head Bighorn .52 Cal plug that i ordered. I had to Lengthen the Screw in the back of the Bolt to adjust throw. Maybe i can find that thread on here? I know it’s here somewhere, shows exactly what i did.

sfbPVFGl.jpg

Wow...you folks are great generous and knowledgeable. The seller found the rear sight and put it on before he shipped it. Thanks again to all

Scott

Well the gun ended back at the sellers shop with box marked refused. It never made it to my house and according to the tracking not to my city. We reconfirmed my address and he is shipping it again. Gotta love the USPS.

Well That Stinks! I had UPS actually loose a Large 4 rifle SKB case once. It shipped form Natchez Shooter Supply and made it to the Meadowlands in NJ and just dropped off the map.

Anybody got a line on a scope base for a MK85?

They are readily available from many manufacturers. Talley has a one piece, base/ring combo. Leupold makes the standard base rings, and a number of companies offer the weaver style bases... #61 I believe. You can get them in blued/black or ss.
Just depends on what you want to go with. 👍

What I do for a frozen breech plug is this. Remove stock and scope if it has one and fill a pot with water. Heat the water to a hard boil and put the breech end into the hot water for about 5 minutes. Wear gloves to do this as the barrel will be very hot. Have your plug wrench ready and take the barrel out of the water and your breech plug should come out fairly easy. Be careful because all metal parts will be hot. The water should be deep enough so the breech area is under the surface. Good luck!

Back