Patched Round Ball in Brush

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patinAZ

Reaction score
There is a guy on YouTube who did an experiment with shooting various high power rifle calibers through some brush to test bullet deflection. The results were interesting and top performing round was the 45-70.

My question is, does anyone have similar experience shooting round balls through light to medium brush? How would a round ball react?

I have a cow elk hunt this December and will bring along several rifles; a high power rifle for longs distance open shots and something for 100yd and closer brushy canyons. I'd like to bring my .54 for the closer quarters hunting.

I'm hardly an expert but my guess would be that a conical bullet would fair better than a ball. I sure that someone more qualified than myself would have a better answer.

The barrel is 1:66. Would that be enough to stabilize a heavy conical?

I figured as much. Just curious how a sphere reacts to small twigs/leaves.

I think the most common answer is going to be "never shoot at an animal unless sure the bullet path is clear".
I would think there is no way any test could ever be done with consistent results shooting through brush, as how much is hit, size of twigs, and what part of the bullet makes contact (center, off center) can't be known for sure. I'm sure the heavier the projectile the better, but it sure isn't something I'd want to gamble on.
The biggest thing for how much deflection occurs is going to be the distance the brush is from the side of the animal. If the brush is only a foot in front of the animal's side, then the projectile just isn't going to have much room to deflect off course...assuming we are talking about very small diameter twigs.
I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but attempting to shoot through brush just isn't a good idea. Ever.
A poorly hit animal that turns into a tracking nightmare will ruin a hunt in very short order...for the shooter AND his partners.
I say the above in the friendliest way I can, but it just isn't ethical.

About 30 years ago my dad missed a nice buck at about 20 yards one morning.

He wondered exactly how he could miss such an easy shot on a deer. As he stood where the deer was standing and was looking back to where he had been standing when he shot he noticed a small limb about the size of a pencil hanging there.

As he studied closer he figured his RB had hit that limb and deflected the ball enough to miss the deer.

If there is any brush in between the shooter and the animal the shot should not be taken. I feel that any cartridge/ball/bullet can be deflected enough for a miss or worse yet a wounded animal that either dies a slow death or takes a long while to recover.

I'll pass on those shots, been in enough rodeos with wounded animals to last me the rest of my days.

I would imagine a round ball would be one of the most effected projectiles when it comes to shooting through brush.. a flat nosed conical would probably be least the effected.

By no means am I talking about shooting through thick brush. I'm only talking about the possibility of leaves and thin twigs. Hell, one of the canyons I'll be hunting an elk could disappear 10 feet away. Once I get my .54 dialed in, I'll try some light experiments.

Back