Patched Roundball, Over Powder Patch

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Over Powder Patches, Why i use them. Lube plays a BIG Role in Protecting the Patch. I can’t stress enough, Lube your Patches with a Good Quality, Proven Lube.

How simple it is to use an Over Powder Patch to protect the Patched Ball. This Patch is serving the same purpose as my 1/8 Wool Felt wads Behind my Flat Bases Bullets
s6N77l9.jpg

Here is what these .015 Store bought patches look like when i USE an Over Powder Patch
9yojNgh.jpg

And here is what the SAME .015 Patch looks like when i do NOT use an Over Powder Patch
4f8kx2p.jpg

I never used anything but a thick patch material in conjunction with a ball measuring 0.005" under bore diameter.

In my .45 caliber Douglas GAA barrel with square bottom grooves measuring 0.010" deep, this was a 0.445" diameter ball.

In my .50 caliber Getz barrel with round bottom grooves measuring 0.016" deep, this was a 0.495" diameter ball.

In my .62 caliber Getz barrel with round bottom grooves measuring 0.016" deep, this was a 0.615" diameter ball.

All three barrels had a 1:48" rate of twist.

My patch material was a heavy blue denim that I purchased from a local independent fabric store. The female owner took one look at the old blue jeans that I had been using for patches, and sold me a slightly heavier weight denim upholstery fabric off of a bolt. I cannot recall ever having measured that purchased fabric, but I believe an educated guess would be somewhere between 0.022" to 0.026" thick.

After switching to the denim upholstery fabric, all of my recovered patches looked just like the good ones in Idaholewis's above image.

And, once short started approximately 5" into the bore, the much tighter ball/patch combination was easily seated onto the powder charge using short, 6"-8" long strokes of the hickory ramrod.

The denim upholstery fabric was noticeably harder to get short started than the material off of my old blue jeans.

Simply put, the Over Powder Patch Works extremely well, I started using them from about my beginning in shooting Patched Roundball, They have always made good sense to me, The same as my 1/8” Wool Felt behind my Flat Base Bullets to protect their Bases.

For a patch lube, I've used TC Wonder lube, spit or Crisco. I have read about a recipe using olive oil and denatured alcohol mixture, haven't tried that one yet.
What's your choice for a patch lube?

For a patch lube, I've used TC Wonder lube, spit or Crisco. I have read about a recipe using olive oil and denatured alcohol mixture, haven't tried that one yet.
What's your choice for a patch lube?

I am using Stihl HP Ultra and Peanut Oil, Mixed 50/50 in a Little Spray Bottle, Both have very High Flash Points, and work EXTREMELY well as a Patch Lube :lewis: The little Spray Bottle works Awesome to “Spritz” The Patches as i Load
lNEp99Cm.jpg

mUClntzm.jpg

i6NFCRF.jpg

Latest posts

Back