Patriot deer hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willfish4fud

Reaction score
One of my goals for this deer season was to take a deer with the Patriot. 25 gr of 777 and prb did the job. I practiced to 30 yds and shot out to 40 yds some. I was committed to a shot under 30 when she came to 26 yds broadside. A high shoulder shot n she looked like she was hit by a bolt of lightning

Attachments

• 6599A952-5DE7-402F-BA04-096A1000B516.jpeg
    6599A952-5DE7-402F-BA04-096A1000B516.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 58
777 is a good bit hotter than BP so I reduced to 25 gr. And 25 is very accurate in mine. Plus I stuck to under 30 yds

I second that, MrTom. Anybody can kill'em with a rifle, only a few can do it with handgun!!!!:)

Last edited:
Awesome accomplishment! In Illinois we are required to use a BP pistol that has a published load of 500 ft lb at muzzle so I have a .54 plains pistol but have to shoot like 45 grains to get that I really don’t believe I could even burn that much In an 8”barrel

One of my goals for this deer season was to take a deer with the Patriot. 25 gr of 777 and prb did the job. I practiced to 30 yds and shot out to 40 yds some. I was committed to a shot under 30 when she came to 26 yds broadside. A high shoulder shot n she looked like she was hit by a bolt of lightning
Nice shot and you have a right to be excited!

Awesome Stuff Rick!! :lewis: I always wanted a TC Patriot Pistol, The Really nice ones i see Fetch a PREMIUM Price. The Set Triggers on these are Backwards aren’t they? You pull the Front trigger to “Set” the Rear Trigger Right?

Yes they are backwards. Wasn’t a problem til I shot it a while then picked up a Seneca to shoot n it immediately went off when I “set” the front trigger. I had 4 patriots. Now have 2. Both .45. Keeping one for parts gun but I may sell it too n just have one

That's awesome!
I am planning to do the same next year. I'm curious about why you chose the PRB over a conicle. I have Pyrodex FFG and T7. Just have to go to the range and see what shoots well. My shot will be inside 35 yards.

That's awesome!
I am planning to do the same next year. I'm curious about why you chose the PRB over a conicle. I have Pyrodex FFG and T7. Just have to go to the range and see what shoots well. My shot will be inside 35 yards.

The TC Patriot Pistol is NOT designed for Conicals, TC does NOT recommend the use of Conicals in their Patriot Pistols. The TC Patriot was designed as a Patched Roundball Target Pistol. I Bought a new TC Patriot in .45 Cal from Willfish4fud here (he had 2 of them) It’s a Lot of fun to Shoot

This is the ONLY data listed for the .45 Cal TC Patriot Pistol, MAX Charge of ONLY 35 Grains of 3F tells you quite a Bit, These Pistols are NOT Designed to be Pushed Hard. You will Break Stocks, Etc
0rlyZVe.jpg

Copy that. They also don't seem to want it used for hunting at all. I will likely start with the load Willfish4fud used.

I took a small 4 pt last year with my Traditions 50 using 35 grains of 3f and a patched round ball. Like the OP, I limited my self to no more than 35 yards. I got my shot at around 25 yards. He went about 20' and keeled over. found the flattened ball just under the skin on the far side, so i guess penetration was good. I was somewhat surprised that the ball flattened some (not measured) even at the lower velocities of a pistol.

Back