Pay attention

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a freaky story, very low likelihood.

A few years ago a guy was dragging an elk out with his ATV. He flipped on a hill, fell off & was speared by an antler. As I recall he recovered from his injuries.

That is a freaky story, very low likelihood.

A few years ago a guy was dragging an elk out with his ATV. He flipped on a hill, fell off & was speared by an antler. As I recall he recovered from his injuries.
I was dragging a deer downhill through some scrub oak about three years ago when I slipped, fell over the deer, or he slid under me, and I got poked in the upper thigh. Still occasionally gives me problems. Those antler tips are sharp and they are hard and that could be a deadly combination if things go south. I didn’t read the story. I do know a family who had a son hit an elk in a car. The antlers came through the window and took his life. I did glance at the story, easy to believe, not the norm but, could happen pretty easily.

Last edited:
The same thing happened to my broth-in-law. Shot a buck on the first shot. The buck went down and got up and ran off. He fired two more times with his shotgun and missed. In his haste to follow the buck he forgot to put more shells in the gun. He trailed the buck and when he got close the buck charged him. He got jabbed in the chest and stomach. Luckily he was able to grab the antlers and the fight began. He screamed for his dad who was fairly close. The father came running over and killed the buck. He lucked out as he only suffered some torn clothing and a couple small scars.

I helped a buddy drag a mule deer up a goat trail. It started to slide off and gored my leg in 2 spots. Broke the skin and bled a little. 4 years later the leg swelled and I got a MRI. Doc called the next morning and told me to get my affair's in order. Said most people last 6 mo's with what I had, soft tissue sarcoma! Was on the table 3 days later and did 35 days radiation and lots of praying. Still alive 7 years later!!! Oh, Tumor was between the 2 gored spots.

I wait a few minutes and reload during that time. Then always approach ready to shoot again.

After having my own similar brush with a so-called dead deer [kick to the sternum which fractured and collapsed it] I do exactly as GM54 does.

Back