PBR (Point Blank Range) Scope Zero

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone use a yardage tape system on peep sights with target knobs?

YES having a prb load worked up for my IN-Lines is kind of a standard, this way I have it to fall back on pandemic basically forced the hand there

Bowhunting from a stand that ive hunted before ive ranged everthing a 1000 times and know the ranges by heart. But if im in a new stand or a buddies stand, i take my rangefinder and check everything. In that second when you get to take the shot it sure helps to already know that distance without having to guess. But the more i do it the better i get at guesstimating the distances. Im also doing it for ML hunting but i dont range as many things, just enough to establish a perimeter? that Im comfortable shooting to, stuff thats within PBR.
Agreed. I know my maximum bow range and I know the arc where a deer needs to step into to be in range. I have known points that I use for references and have added a stick with tape on it to help me in occasion. My problem lately has been, they were too close 😂. Just gotta look down the arrow.

I have for years now especially with a ML used a system called Point Blank Range (PBR). For a muzzleloader I use a 6" PBR, meaning through a given range the bullet will never be more than 3" high or 3" low while sighting dead on or Point of Aim (POA).

Point-blank range is the distance between a weapon and a target of a given size its projectile is expected to strike without adjusting the weapon's elevation. Point-blank range will vary by a weapon's external ballistics characteristics and target chosen. A weapon with a flatter trajectory will permit a longer maximum point-blank range for a given target size, while a larger target will allow a longer point-blank range for a given weapon.

Here is a calculator I just found on the net.. and I am sure there are others

ShootersCalculator.com | Point Blank Range Calculator

In my case that means most of rifle will be about 3" high @ 100 and 3" low @ 175 to 90 depending on weight of bullet and powder charge or velocity. This little thing allows me to shoot 0 to 200 without much thought or scope adjusting.

This is a typical ballistic sheet on one of my loads with the PBR built in..

Lehigh-452-265-CF-HP.jpg

The chart shows my actual zero range is 160 yards and I can shoot to 196 yards and be 3" LOW. You can also the expected Point of Impact -POI at other ranges on the sheet

Hope this makes some sense...
I too use PBR.
However, I feel that group size makes a big difference in this.
For example if your group size is 2 inches @ 100 yds. and you base your 3" PBR on the center of the group the higher and lower shots of the group will decrease you PBR.
PBR is kinda based on a one hole group at all yardages.
Also as most know the group we most base off of, is from a bench. My experience is that in a hunting situation labored breathing, poorer rest, and buck fever about doubles a group.
Most but not all muzzleloaders cannot replicate the small group sizes you see with a modern cartridge. My smallest consistent 5 shot group rifle is a Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creedmoor that with my handloads shoots average group sizes of 1/4" or less @ 100 yds. This small of a group is much less affected in hunting situations than a 2" or 3" group, so PBR is less affected. All my modern rifles shoot sub 3/4" groups at 100 yds.
For this reason I feel a 3" group @100 yds in most hunting situations is about the limit of that rifle, if my group doubling holds true.
With high magnification scopes I see my wobble in the woods that I do not see off the bench.
Just my thoughts.

Fishbc

I really do agree with the bulk of your writing.

For me with just about any of my Knights I will shoot a 3 shoot all within an 1 1/4" -1 1/2" I base the 3" PBR on the middle of the group. I am old really old! and I am not a target shooter, I am a hunter.

I know that if I am about 3" high at 100 that I will be really close to zero at 150 - 160 yards. My self-administered range for a dear shot is right at the 150 range and for elk it extends 175- 200 when the conditions are right.

I am comfortable with all of this because of the bullet I use and what they do when they hit the target. This confidence allows me to off on my chosen target spot on the animal by 3 even 4" - up or down with my shot. I am aiming for approximately 3" inches above the leg joint. This should put the shot just above the heart and a few inches below the spine. The bullets I use send a petal of two into the spine and down the animal really rapidly. If not, the bullet petals will normally blow up the heart and lungs. In addition, the bullet will create a tremendous amount of Hydrostatic pressure destroying internals and also pass entirely through the animal. Creating a great blood trail. But I must admit I hate tracking, I really want the spine petal(s) to down the animal on the spot.

elkshotplace2[1].jpg

This is what I am after

2013-Damage.jpg

Hope this makes some sense.

Last edited:

Fishbc

I really do agree with the bulk of your writing.

For me with just about any of my Knights I will shoot a 3 shoot all within an 1 1/4" -1 1/2" I base the 3" PBR on the middle of the group. I am old really old! and I am not a target shooter, I am a hunter.

I know that if I am about 3" high at 100 that I will be really close to zero at 150 - 160 yards. My self-administered range for a dear shot is right at the 150 range and for elk it extends 175- 200 when the conditions are right.

I am comfortable with all of this because of the bullet I use and what they do when they hit the target. This confidence allows me to off on my chosen target spot on the animal by 3 even 4" - up or down with my shot. I am aiming for approximately 3" inches above the leg joint. This should put the shot just above the heart and a few inches below the spine. The bullets I use send a petal of two into the spine and down the animal really rapidly. If not, the bullet petals will normally blow up the heart and lungs. In addition, the bullet will create a tremendous amount of Hydrostatic pressure destroying internals and also pass entirely through the animal. Creating a great blood trail. But I must admit I hate tracking, I really want the spine petal(s) to down the animal on the spot.

elkshotplace2[1].jpg

This is what I am after

2013-Damage.jpg

Hope this makes some sense.
You are spot on. It’s all about bullet placement and performance for a quick kill.
Very good!!!

Latest posts

Back