Pedersoli 12ga double

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently have a Pedersoli 12ga double, I bought this gun for turkey hunting, I am unable to get any kind of grouping from this gun, from either barrel, cylinder or improved. It shoots a great square load for squirrel with no. 4 shot. I've used different powder amounts, shot sizes including #4 buck, shot cups both split and not. Is this gun just not designed for the tight patterns needed for turkey?

What is your loading sequence? Here is something to try that worked EXTREMELY well for me. I got this from Caywood

After dumping the Powder Charge in, Use ONLY the little Over shot cards on top of the Powder, Do AWAY with the Big thick Card Stuff. Use 3-4 of the little over shot Cards on top of the powder.

Now push another thin Over Shot Card down about 2 inches or so, Dump your Shot in, Now start another another over Shot card, Now you can send the whole Shot load down to the Powder :lewis:

Using the LARGE over powder Cards & Cushions creates Doughnut Holes in your Patterns

Using the procedure above, I was able to pattern my TC New Englander 12 Gauge With Full choke as Tight as my Benelli with a Turkey Tube, That’s NO JOKE!

On this forum's sister site,
The Muzzleloading Forum

There is a lot of talk about the "Skychief" load. It is apparently great for tightening up patterns. I do not have a smoothbore and so haven't paid much attention, but the Skychief load involves soaking a thick wad so it is pretty "heavy".
Something else to try if your gun doesn't like Lew's suggested load.

On this forum's sister site,
The Muzzleloading Forum

There is a lot of talk about the "Skychief" load. It is apparently great for tightening up patterns. I do not have a smoothbore and so haven't paid much attention, but the Skychief load involves soaking a thick wad so it is pretty "heavy".
Something else to try if your gun doesn't like Lew's suggested load.

I'd be happy if wads would work, but alas doesn't help.

I just ordered/purchased a Pendersoli 10 ga. Having read this article I hope I asked if can get the chokes changed as they make the barrels as I too wanted to hunt turkeys. I m sure glad I read this as Ill will be loading also.

I printed out the above linked works years ago to always have in my Library of good Stuff.

The Skychief load works even in cylinder bore barrels when loaded per his method. Changing anything and saying it doesnt work is like substituting salt for sugar when cooking and saying a recipe doesnt work. After trying it in different smooth bores from 28 gauge to 10, I'm sold on it.

Latest posts

Back