Pedersoli Hawken Hunter

Discussion in 'Sidelock/Traditional Muzzleloading' started by gesthuntn, Dec 4, 2019 at 11:33 AM.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. Dec 4, 2019 at 11:33 AM #1

gesthuntn

gesthuntn

gesthuntn

Just ordered me one of these to shoot bullets through. Got some No excuse 460 and 600 grain bullets to try. What would be a good starting load with these? Does anyone here shoot one of these and what load do you use? I don't want to shoot sabots through the gun just lead bullets.

2. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:01 PM #2

GM54-120

GM54-120

GM54-120

Administrator Staff Member ADMIN Global Moderator

Dont go nuts with powder in them sidelocks not made for THUMPER loads. Its no Gibbs and not made for monster powder loads. Start at 70gr or 80gr of Swiss and work up. Goex or Pyro you could maybe start a tad higher. My guess is you wont want to go over around 90-95gr of Swiss or Triple7.

3. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:13 PM #3

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Supporter Supporter

I own one :lewis: I make Several REALLY Good 50 Cal bullets that are ideal in this Thing.

A few of them, 460 Grain
    [​IMG]

485 Grain
    [​IMG]

4. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:50 PM #4

GM54-120

GM54-120

GM54-120

Administrator Staff Member ADMIN Global Moderator

Not including the far more expensive rifles............IF i was going to get a 50cal sidelock for hunting it would be that Pedersoli. I wish they would change one thing but it would probably drive the price up......Change to the same drum/bolster/breach (whatever you call it) as the Missouri River Hawkens.
    [​IMG]

5. Dec 4, 2019 at 10:40 PM #5

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Supporter Supporter

I fully agree on the Bolster/Snail. I wish this Hawken “Hunter” had the Same setup as Pictured above by GM54, Which is the Same Setup as TC’s, Green Mountain, Rice, etc. The other thing I Don’t like is The Hawken “Hunter” is NOT a Hooked Breech Setup like TC’s, Instead of Simply pushing a Wedge key out, and Pulling the Barrel from the Stock like a TC, and Many others, This Pedersoli requires the Removal of the 1 and Only Tang Bolt Which Runs Through the Front Tang Peep hole, all the Way Through the Stock and in to the Trigger guard, Once you remove that Bolt, You swing the Peep to the Side and the Hole Barrel/Breech/Tang Assembly comes out. While this is probably a LOT STOUTER Design, I wish it were a Hooked Breech like My TC’s, My Navy Arms Hawken “Hunter” is IDENTICAL to the Pedersoli, Built HELL FOR STOUT!!

The Pedersoli Hawken Hunter is a “NO FRILLS” Hunting Rifle, There is nothing Fancy about it, it is Built to HUNT. They are a SOLID, well Built Rifle, and the 1:24 Twist is Pretty Awesome, A Doc White Thing :lewis: