Pedersoli Hawken Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gesthuntn

Reaction score
Just ordered me one of these to shoot bullets through. Got some No excuse 460 and 600 grain bullets to try. What would be a good starting load with these? Does anyone here shoot one of these and what load do you use? I don't want to shoot sabots through the gun just lead bullets.

Dont go nuts with powder in them sidelocks not made for THUMPER loads. Its no Gibbs and not made for monster powder loads. Start at 70gr or 80gr of Swiss and work up. Goex or Pyro you could maybe start a tad higher. My guess is you wont want to go over around 90-95gr of Swiss or Triple7.

I own one :lewis: I make Several REALLY Good 50 Cal bullets that are ideal in this Thing.

A few of them, 460 Grain
akmOBWNl.jpg

485 Grain
sWrrz7Dl.jpg

Not including the far more expensive rifles............IF i was going to get a 50cal sidelock for hunting it would be that Pedersoli. I wish they would change one thing but it would probably drive the price up......Change to the same drum/bolster/breach (whatever you call it) as the Missouri River Hawkens.
image_06fbd098-0250-4460-ab85-227d2dc2276b_1024x1024.jpg

I fully agree on the Bolster/Snail. I wish this Hawken “Hunter” had the Same setup as Pictured above by GM54, Which is the Same Setup as TC’s, Green Mountain, Rice, etc. The other thing I Don’t like is The Hawken “Hunter” is NOT a Hooked Breech Setup like TC’s, Instead of Simply pushing a Wedge key out, and Pulling the Barrel from the Stock like a TC, and Many others, This Pedersoli requires the Removal of the 1 and Only Tang Bolt Which Runs Through the Front Tang Peep hole, all the Way Through the Stock and in to the Trigger guard, Once you remove that Bolt, You swing the Peep to the Side and the Hole Barrel/Breech/Tang Assembly comes out. While this is probably a LOT STOUTER Design, I wish it were a Hooked Breech like My TC’s, My Navy Arms Hawken “Hunter” is IDENTICAL to the Pedersoli, Built HELL FOR STOUT!!

The Pedersoli Hawken Hunter is a “NO FRILLS” Hunting Rifle, There is nothing Fancy about it, it is Built to HUNT. They are a SOLID, well Built Rifle, and the 1:24 Twist is Pretty Awesome, A Doc White Thing :lewis:

I fully agree on the Bolster/Snail. I wish this Hawken “Hunter” had the Same setup as Pictured above by GM54, Which is the Same Setup as TC’s, Green Mountain, Rice, etc. The other thing I Don’t like is The Hawken “Hunter” is NOT a Hooked Breech Setup like TC’s, Instead of Simply pushing a Wedge key out, and Pulling the Barrel from the Stock like a TC, and Many others, This Pedersoli requires the Removal of the 1 and Only Tang Bolt Which Runs Through the Front Tang Peep hole, all the Way Through the Stock and in to the Trigger guard, Once you remove that Bolt, You swing the Peep to the Side and the Hole Barrel/Breech/Tang Assembly comes out. While this is probably a LOT STOUTER Design, I wish it were a Hooked Breech like My TC’s, My Navy Arms Hawken “Hunter” is IDENTICAL to the Pedersoli, Built HELL FOR STOUT!!

The Pedersoli Hawken Hunter is a “NO FRILLS” Hunting Rifle, There is nothing Fancy about it, it is Built to HUNT. They are a SOLID, well Built Rifle, and the 1:24 Twist is Pretty Awesome, A Doc White Thing :lewis:

I have one on order, I have also ordered a cleaning kit that adapts the drum tapping to a 1/4” barbed hose fitting, negating barrel removal for general cleaning. Thanks for the heads up on the breach set up, I had no idea until I saw your video.

I have one on order, I have also ordered a cleaning kit that adapts the drum tapping to a 1/4” barbed hose fitting, negating barrel removal for general cleaning. Thanks for the heads up on the breach set up, I had no idea until I saw your video.

The Pedersoli Hawken Hunter is a Good SOLID Hunting Rifle, I am sure You will like it :lewis:

You must be talking about a Flush Kit like this?

bgVCmhAl.jpg

Yep similar to that, the model I ordered has a larger thread backed by an o ring. The one above looks like a nipple thread. I ordered mine from track, where’d you get that one?

Yep similar to that, the model I ordered has a larger thread backed by an o ring. The one above looks like a nipple thread. I ordered mine from track, where’d you get that one?

The one above is Made by RMC (Oxyoke) I don’t actually use them, I personally prefer to Pull my Barrels and Clean in a Bucket of Water, i feel i can do a MUCH MUCH Better, More Thorough Cleaning Job this Way. Most guy’s that use the Flush Kits are doing so with Rifles in long Stocks that are Pinned, Where Removing the Barrel each time just isn’t an option, and would do more Harm in the long Run than Good. I don’t personally own any Guns like that, and have no intentions to (NOT MY THING) I prefer Wedge Keyed Barrels, that can easily be Removed for Cleaning. Where you simply Pull the Ramrod toss it aside, push the Wedge key out, and lift the Barrel out of the Stock (This is a Hooked Breech Setup of Course, Such as the TC Hawkens/Renegades, And Several others) The Pedersoli is a Bit Different, But stil VERY easy to pull the Barrel :lewis: You have 1 Added Step, and that is Removing the Tang Bolt/Screw, And out the Barrel Comes, SIMPLE!

How i clean a Sidelock Muzzleloader

The one above is Made by RMC (Oxyoke) I don’t actually use them, I personally prefer to Pull my Barrels and Clean in a Bucket of Water, i feel i can do a MUCH MUCH Better, More Thorough Cleaning Job this Way. Most guy’s that use the Flush Kits are doing so with Rifles in long Stocks that are Pinned, Where Removing the Barrel each time just isn’t an option, and would do more Harm in the long Run than Good. I don’t personally own any Guns like that, and have no intentions to (NOT MY THING) I prefer Wedge Keyed Barrels, that can easily be Removed for Cleaning. Where you simply Pull the Ramrod toss it aside, push the Wedge key out, and lift the Barrel out of the Stock (This is a Hooked Breech Setup of Course, Such as the TC Hawkens/Renegades, And Several others) The Pedersoli is a Bit Different, But stil VERY easy to pull the Barrel :lewis: You have 1 Added Step, and that is Removing the Tang Bolt/Screw, And out the Barrel Comes, SIMPLE!

How i clean a Sidelock Muzzleloader

That is the way I clean my hooked breech sidelocks as well. I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania and Kentucky however, with the pinned stock as you described, the kit is for me required anyway. I will replace the stock tube with silicone tubing for heat resistance, I was thinking of pumping water straight from a pot that was recently boiling. I should be able to do that with a jag and tight patch. With near boiling water, I should get a good clean. I’ll let you know how it works.

Just ordered me one of these to shoot bullets through. Got some No excuse 460 and 600 grain bullets to try. What would be a good starting load with these? Does anyone here shoot one of these and what load do you use? I don't want to shoot sabots through the gun just lead bullets.
I own one :lewis: I make Several REALLY Good 50 Cal bullets that are ideal in this Thing.

A few of them, 460 Grain
akmOBWNl.jpg

485 Grain
sWrrz7Dl.jpg

That is the way I clean my hooked breech sidelocks as well. I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania and Kentucky however, with the pinned stock as you described, the kit is for me required anyway. I will replace the stock tube with silicone tubing for heat resistance, I was thinking of pumping water straight from a pot that was recently boiling. I should be able to do that with a jag and tight patch. With near boiling water, I should get a good clean. I’ll let you know how it works.

Kinda unrelated to this thread, but how do you like the Pennsylvania and Kentucky rifles? I've had my eye on these for a while, and had them in a shopping cart on a number of occasions.

Latest posts

Back