Pedersoli Hawken Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato boy

Reaction score
A quick range report with my Hawken Hunter 1:24 twist. My last outing was with the factory sight and Swiss 1.5 f and a poly wad Accuracy was not great. Today I tried felt wads, Pyrodex RS, and the same projectiles, a BACO, 550 grain .501” and Pedersol’s recommended 450 grain, .500” bullet. Lube was my own lube based on beeswax, tallow and synthetic motor oil. I replaced the factory sight with a Lyman ML. Groups were much better, one went sub MOA, with most around 2 moa. ( must have gotten lucky) It’s a good start and I’m very pleased. Just for good times, I tried RB, I know it’s not supposed to shoot in a fast twist. Well...50 grains of RS, .18 patch, .490 RB went into a ragged hole at 25 and I was able to ring the 50 yard, 6” gong every time off hand at 50. I’m very pleased with the rifle. Now I need to find a shorter front sight as the location of my rear sight is rather high, due to my mounting location. I somehow doubt that, that front sight, will be easily replaced. The search begins

Last edited:
A quick range report with my Hawken Hunter 1:24 twist. My last outing was with the factory sight and Swiss 1.5 f and a poly wad Accuracy was not great. Today I tried felt wads, Pyrodex RS, and the same projectiles, a BACO, 550 grain .501” and Pedersol’s recommended 450 grain, .500” bullet. Lube was my own lube based on beeswax, tallow and synthetic motor oil. I replaced the factory sight with a Lyman ML. Groups were much better, one went sub MOA, with most around 2 moa. ( must have gotten lucky) It’s a good start and I’m very pleased. Just for good times, I tried RB, I know it’s not supposed to shoot in a fast twist. Well...50 grains of RS, .18 patch, .490 RB went into a ragged hole at 25 and I was able to ring the 50 yard, 6” gong every time off hand at 50. I’m very pleased with the rifle. Now I need to find a taller front sight as the location of my rear sight is rather high, due to my mounting location. I somehow doubt that, that front sight, will be easily replaced. The search begins

It is VERY easily replaced, I had to replace my Pedersoli Hawken Hunter front sight as well :lewis: Nothing to it!

It is VERY easily replaced, I had to replace my Pedersoli Hawken Hunter front sight as well :lewis: Nothing to it!

where did you get the sight Lewis? Post a pic of your new set up if you don’t mind. I need a lower front sight. My rear just to high. It works but not ideal. I figured this would happen but I would rather not remove my site to pull the barrel out of the stock this is why I mounted the lime in sight so far back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
where did you get the sight Lewis? Post a pic of your new set up if you don’t mind. I need a lower front sight. My rear just to high. It works but not ideal. I figured this would happen but I would rather not remove my site to pull the barrel out of the stock this is why I mounted the lime in sight so far back

You simply tap the sight out, and install a Taller one. You need the .340 Wide, The Tallest i can see here is .530, That’s well over a 1/2” Tall, they make them .570“ Tall as well, But I don’t see the .570 in .340 Wide

You are Not Replacing the WHOLE front sight, Only this Insert
https://www.buffaloarms.com/530-high-x-340-wide-1-16-gold-bead-sight-mar505321

You can get that .340 Width in Several heights, along with Bead Sizes of a Small 1/16th to The Larger 3/32, And either a Brass bead, or White/Ivory bead.

I think youre right. He said his rear sight is too high. So i believe he needs a taller front sight. Potato Boy are you hitting too high and cant adjust low enough?

HOLD UP! I was going in reverse above 🤪

You need a Shorter front sight? The Shortest .340 Width i see is .260 High

https://www.buffaloarms.com/260-high-x-340-wide-1-16-gold-bead-sight-mar502621
I did the same thing, lol, I need shorter, I’m thinking a 250, Williams makes one. It’s not difficult to install. It’s difficult to obtain! I’ll bet you can just walk down to the store and buy one of those cant you? Unfortunatel, I live in the Soviet union, whoops I mean Canada and anything that’s related to a firearm can take months to get.

I did the same thing, lol, I need shorter, I’m thinking a 250, Williams makes one. It’s not difficult to install. It’s difficult to obtain! I’ll bet you can just walk down to the store and buy one of those cant you? Unfortunatel, I live in the Soviet union, whoops I mean Canada and anything that’s related to a firearm can take months to get.

LOL! YEP, I could have this tomorrow morning, it’s in stock. I am at Buffalo Arms on a VERY REGULAR Basis :) About 25 minutes from me

https://www.buffaloarms.com/william...-340-width-1-16-gold-bead-front-sight-wgs1645

Latest posts

Back