pedersoli rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya never know i may ease into a pawnshop n run into a rock sparker from Pedersoli i like
I check out a bunch of pawn shops regularly and never see flintlocks, let alone Pedersolis. Im going to a local gun show this weekend that has a fair ML turnout, mostly percussion and inlines tho. I always go just looking for unique and unusual guns. Ill watch out for Pedesolis.

I check out a bunch of pawn shops regularly and never see flintlocks, let alone Pedersolis. Im going to a local gun show this weekend that has a fair ML turnout, mostly percussion and inlines tho. I always go just looking for unique and unusual guns. Ill watch out for Pedesolis.
Some perc.'s are interesting, the inlines not so much for me anymore. I have an inline & the 22 years i have owned it. I have used it only 3 diff years to kill a tict toters. Just collects dust now

I forgot to mention in my list of rifles I want. The Pedersoli Kentucky should be on that list.

If it shoots OK (one of my friends said *good luck getting it to *shoot*, so I know he didn't like the accuracy of his) I'm going to play around with the cosmetics. Take the blueing off the barrel, tarnish the brass, that kind of thing. Make it mine.

This is good place to ask what is a patient breech chambers the Pedersoli ML have. What does it do ? Does it create problems ?
There is/was an older thread here, where someone(IdahoLewis?) cut away a TC breech and i think a Green Mntn breech plug to compare the two designs. I wonder if Pedersoli has some similar info on their breech plug.

If I remember, a Patent breech has been around since the late 1700's or something like that.

Instead of the flash hole being directly across from the main charge, which ignites the charge from the side.
The spark must travel up a narrow tunnel on an angle. Then it ignites the bottom of the main charge. And some of the main charge is typically in a cavity at the end of the tunnel. Or bottom of the bore.

You can tell my taking a thick ramrod or the appropriate jag and dropping it down a barrel and seeing how far in it goes.
Then drop a narrower rod down the bore and see if you can get it to drop just a little further in, which would be the cavity.

If I remember, a Patent breech has been around since the late 1700's or something like that.

Instead of the flash hole being directly across from the main charge, which ignites the charge from the side.
The spark must travel up a narrow tunnel on an angle. Then it ignites the bottom of the main charge. And some of the main charge is typically in a cavity at the end of the tunnel. Or bottom of the bore.

You can tell my taking a thick ramrod or the appropriate jag and dropping it down a barrel and seeing how far in it goes.
Then drop a narrower rod down the bore and see if you can get it to drop just a little further in, which would be the cavity.
That sounds like a terrible way to use in a flintlock. Thats a longer travel path for hot gasses to try n ignite the main charge.

That sounds like a terrible way to use in a flintlock. Thats a longer travel path for hot gasses to try n ignite the main charge.

Yes and no.
I can see the advantage of wanting to ignite the charge at the bottom. Seems good in theory.
But BP ignites so quickly, yes, it seems unnecessary.

And you haven't seen crazy tunnels expecting the sparks to make it to the charge until you looked at how a 1859 Sharps breechloader works, lol.

Yes and no.
I can see the advantage of wanting to ignite the charge at the bottom. Seems good in theory.
But BP ignites so quickly, yes, it seems unnecessary.

And you haven't seen crazy tunnels expecting the sparks to make it to the charge until you looked at how a 1859 Sharps breechloader works, lol.
I have not made a research study on these weird patent breech contours. Perc. may have a better fire to main charge. I will have to see if my Scout has the patent breech system. Bet its a super pia to clean while on the target range

Ok i have been looking up n reading about these patent breech n diff various types. I see the main thing is not to clean n push fowling into the smaller chamber. The trouble is fowling gets so bad you can not load your chosen projectile til cleaned. Ah this is a nasty circle of fun- NOT ! Specially using a rock sparker, so really all the flash in the pan is caused by the fowling i have pushed into the chamber cleaning after each shot. Ummmm i am glad i am building a Direct ignition perc. ML

one of my friends said *good luck getting it to *shoot*
I just read the recommended load data for the Kentucky .32.
24gr of 3F to start and a max of 40gr of 3F. Perhaps your friend was trying to overdrive the ball with too much powder.

1675457799252.png

The 1:48 twist is perfect for PRB in a .32

Latest posts

Back