Peep sight for the deerhunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently added a peep sight to my deerhunter rifle. Spent a few hours at the range. Finally got it squared away. My last two shots were right in there as you can see. 20200526_165110.jpg

My 83 year old hunting buddy has peep sights on all his rifles and shoot guns and has ever since I've known him (44 years). He's shoot more deer and turkey then anyone I know. His favorite gun for both kinds of hunting Remining 870 20 ga with peep.

Looks good deermanok :lewis: I have a Small fortune tied up in Peep sights, But they are an ABSOLUTE Necessity in order for me to Shoot Open Sights, My Eyesight is NOT Good, When i Look Through a Peep, i can See Decent again. Simply Put, I couldn’t enjoy my Muzzleloaders without them

Maybe change your sign on to dead eye? That's some might fine shooting! Did you notice any change in the cleaning process changing from balls to sabots?

Maybe change your sign on to dead eye? That's some might fine shooting! Did you notice any change in the cleaning process changing from balls to sabots?
Many thanks, I did notice that the barrel was a bit more fouled. I did have to beef up the charge from my usual 60 grains to 90.
Those powerbelts have a little plastic cup on the bottom of the bullet. Sorta like an over powder wad. The ones I found on the ground weren't distorted or melted in any way, so I don't think they left much if any plastic fouling in the barrel.

With me it is peeps or optic! Great shooting, those fancy sabot bullets must deadly on deer.

With me it is peeps or optic! Great shooting, those fancy sabot bullets must deadly on deer.
I read somewhere that those powerbelts are "old wine in a new bottle ". Meaning that they are just a conical bullet with a fancy plastic cup similar in thought to an over powder wad. Haven't shot a deer with one yet but I think the hollow points will get er' done.

Many thanks, I did notice that the barrel was a bit more fouled. I did have to beef up the charge from my usual 60 grains to 90.
Those powerbelts have a little plastic cup on the bottom of the bullet. Sorta like an over powder wad. The ones I found on the ground weren't distorted or melted in any way, so I don't think they left much if any plastic fouling in the barrel.
Good shooting!
Good luck hunting next year as well. I would try to avoid hitting bone at all costs when hunting with that bullet if I where you. They shoot great, but are not necessarily the best choice for deer hunting. Speaking strictly from personal experience.

I have heard that, people either like them or they don't.
I got them for cheap so figured to at least try them. My rifles always shot good with the TC maxi hunters in 275 grains.

Back